Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Festivals and music concerts  (Read 11407 times)

QueenofReds3

Festivals and music concerts
« on: February 20, 2022, 04:46:10 PM »

There is probably a thread already re music etc. But I thought I would start this one.

I had a patient in the other day who regretted not ever going to a festival or music concert before. I told them it is not too late and told her about my experiences.

I have been to Glastonbury and although hated the lack of decent toilet facilities, I have never experienced anything so magical before and look forward to doing this again one day, I have been to lots of music concerts over the years too. Have not been happy not to have gone for nearly two years but will start again soon.

I would love to hear others experiences of festivals and concerts, good and bad, 😄 funny too!
Music makes me feel happier and is a great stress release no matter what it is you are listening too. I wish there were more music programmes on T.V , used to love TOTP’s and The Word and The Tube.

Love Q.O.R . XXX

Aprilflower

Re: Festivals and music concerts
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 05:01:19 PM »

I went to my first music concert in my late fifties.  Our eldest son bought me tickets for a birthday and myself and my husband went to see Santana at Wembley Arena.  It was absolutely fantastic.

A man and his teenage son were sitting next to us.  The son made it quite clear he was there under sufferance and was very grumpy.  By the time the show was halfway through, he was standing up, appluding and sing.  Dad looked very chuffed.

QueenofReds3

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 05:11:47 PM »

HaHa Aprilflower, that was me when I had to take my DD,s to see The Wanted I was the only one sitting until half way through! Love Santana and Carlos Santana is married to the brilliant female drummer Cindy Santana Blackman from Lenny Kravitz’s band. X

My first concert was Tears For Fears, I was 14 and loved it!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 05:17:41 PM »

;D. oh good thread :-))))

Discos until I was married.  An early theatre concert seen together (our 2/3rd date? )  whilst at Further Ed College in 1970, with I think Deep Purple supporting Lindisfarne .  B4 either became popular.   Later we saw The Hollies, Lindisfarne several times (The Hollies are on their 60th Tour this year ;-) ).  Tina Turner on her 1st come-back door, inside.

DH liked Steeleye Span: connected to Ashley Hutchins and Ralph McTell as well as local musicians.  Albion Band, Simon Care, John Kirkpatrick .....

Then someone introduced us to Fairport Convention.  Followed by every combination/which way as the various amalgamations left, met up, wrote more songs, left ...... There is a huge FC 'family tree' somewhere and we have seen them all; either inside or at festivals in the field.

Glastonbury would never be my choice but my sister and her husband have been involved with the totem pole - choosing the tree, transporting it to the site B4 carving it during the week - for many years. 

Festivals are becoming pricey unless 1 is tolerant of the lesser bands offered to the public.  MayB try a day out first? 

The things to take to a festival are: torches and warm clothes for night time; lots of sun cream; loo rolls; SheeWe; plenty of small meals with drinks so that excitement doesn't deplete blood sugar levels (my problem  :'( ); we spent 1 weekend at Cropredy sitting in/under clear plastic bags, DH had a filing cabinet delivered to work and the plastic bag was really, really handy, as was the fishing umbrella.   ;D. Plus blankets.  We didn't stay over as we live close enough to be home in our bath and bed ;-).

My dog would sleep under the chair that I sat on.  It was covered with a clear plastic bag over the whole chair so that she couldn't escape or be nicked from underneath!  On a thick blanket she was fine. 

MayB make a list of musical interests first then look at the bands' websites to see how local they might be?  How big the Festival might be with regards attendees.  If staying over, best to book really really early! 

Lots of Festivals can be viewed on line via public photos or the bands' own videos or photos. on their websites.   What does your patient fancy?  Music unites.  Music heals.

QueenofReds3

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2022, 05:30:03 PM »

WOW CLKD , I am jealous you have seen Deep Purple and Tina Turner. I think my patient was put off by the mud stories etc😊

You are right festivals are becoming pricey but I would recommend if you love music to try to go as you cannot really explain what it is like unless you are there..

I have been to loads of concerts, too many to list but my favs are Rolling Stones , U2 Joshua tree,
Metallica, Black Sabbath, Robert Plant ( never got to see Led Zepp 😢), Kings Of Keon, Prodigy ( although my hearing has never been the same but it was fun). Depeche Mode .
Worst , although I love them was AC/DC, the music was distorted so in pain with ears.

I agree music does unite❤️

Jellyb

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2022, 06:52:30 PM »

My ex used to work for a record company, so we used to go to gigs every night. Saw lots of new bands before they made it big - was in the room when the Manic Street Preachers signed their deal, blagged our way into the Brits after party twice, this was back in the 80s when it was a proper do at Grosvenor House hotel in London.
Went to Glastonbury in the 80s, that was when you could park fairly close to the stages so we slept in the car.
I do miss it, but me & my hubby have such different tastes in music we cant agree on bands to see now!

Ju Ju

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2022, 07:00:26 PM »

Saw Genesis before they were really famous at the local Tech college. Moody Blues while at college. Hot Chocolate, ELO, Mud, Magna Carta all came to my college. After, saw Moody Blues several times, John Denver, Ralph McTell, the Seekers, Dire Straits, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Missed out seeing Simon and Garfunkel as I was very, very pregnant and not up to standing in a crowd at Wembley Statium. DH went though, not fair! Listened to Elton John on DHs phone as he was duty as a police sergeant at an outdoor concert and he got paid!

IBS and the loos at Glastonbury are not a good mix, so haven’t been to a festival.

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2022, 07:27:35 PM »

IBS and the loos at Glastonbury are not a good mix, so haven’t been to a festival.

Immodium works well for some. It does for me. All of my young festival friends have it on their essentials lists  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2022, 07:52:09 PM »

Oh to have seen The Moody Blues  :-*

Ralph McTell on stage.  Shall I fire up the charabanc  ;D

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2022, 08:06:14 PM »

Every weekend was wonderful in the 70s.  There was a Pavilion about 14 miles from where I lived and it had top groups on every Saturday night. It was packed to the rafters (no H and S then) everybody got drunk or stoned and it was so popular that FREE coaches were laid on from towns in every direction.

I saw Status Quo, Suzi Quatro, Slade, Canned Heat, Linda Lewis, Picketty Witch, Sweet, Four Tops, Marmalade, Thin Lizzy, Hot Chocolate …. And that’s just those I remember off the top of my head.

They were the best times and when I speak to younger people about those days they are envious because they have to travel the country to see their bands now.  We were so lucky!

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2022, 08:36:27 PM »

There was Corn Exchange in King's Lynn as well as a large hall in Boston, Lincs. Or the Cambridge Exchange and travelling to Norwich. But it meant having someone with a car  ::) and we couldn't afford those.

Tina Turner was superb, all leg up to her waist  ;D and could that woman sing! 

Don McLean was a disappointment, he looked as though he wanted to be elsewhere and didn't acknowledge his backing group at all.  So he went off our list of singers to pay money for.

At many Festivals there are off field activities for kids as well as Police, first Aid and Samaritans close by.  Beer tents, all kinds of foods and crafts so take plenty of money in a waist bag ......... as well as records to browse through.  Some are like a village!

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2022, 08:39:00 PM »

Every weekend was wonderful in the 70s.  There was a Pavilion about 14 miles from where I lived and it had top groups on every Saturday night. It was packed to the rafters (no H and S then) everybody got drunk or stoned and it was so popular that FREE coaches were laid on from towns in every direction.

I saw Status Quo, Suzi Quatro, Slade, Canned Heat, Linda Lewis, Picketty Witch, Sweet, Four Tops, Marmalade, Thin Lizzy, Hot Chocolate …. And that’s just those I remember off the top of my head.

They were the best times and when I speak to younger people about those days they are envious because they have to travel the country to see their bands now.  We were so lucky!

I think I know where you were! Great times!

Joaniepat

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2022, 08:42:32 PM »

Showing my age here, but in 1963 I saw both the Beatles and the Rolling Stones on the same bill at the Albert Hall. I had seen the Beatles once before, but not the Stones. My friend and I immediately preferred the Stones, who made the Mop Tops look so tame  ;D
JP x

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2022, 08:52:56 PM »

Some of these bands' names are vague in my memory bank  ;)

Joaniepat

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2022, 09:10:07 PM »

Some of these bands' names are vague in my memory bank  ;)
;D
Pages: [1] 2 3