Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Magnesium for anxiety/panic disorder how much please?  (Read 7940 times)

loonarider

Magnesium for anxiety/panic disorder how much please?
« on: November 30, 2021, 12:06:44 PM »

Hi all,

Cannot get through to my GP.

I've had much success for the past month taking 200mg of magnesium glycinate in the evenings just after my last meal. I've not had one nocturnal panic attack or palpitations at night since!

However, I have nothing for during the day to keep me calm. I wonder could I up the dose? So I take 1 or 2 extra tabs (each 100mg) spread throughout the day? (Which amounts to 200 to 400 mg a day).

What is the maximum dose for a 44 year old woman suffering GAD and panic disorder?

How much do you guys take??

Thanks! X
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 12:08:17 PM by loonarider »

Marchlove

Re: Magnesium for anxiety/panic disorder how much please?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 12:21:56 PM »

Hi loonarider
Lara Biden in her book Period Repair Manual (very good book by the way) recommends magnesium bisglycinate 300mg after food.
I can’t see any harm in you taking an additional  100mg in the morning to see if it helps. Might make you a bit sleepy though so you can trial it and see perhaps.
Hope it works for you x

Postmeno3

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 12:23:13 PM »

I take 400g at night, but it's citrate which is meant to absorb more readily.
😊

loonarider

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 02:15:04 PM »

Hi loonarider
Lara Biden in her book Period Repair Manual (very good book by the way) recommends magnesium bisglycinate 300mg after food.
I can’t see any harm in you taking an additional  100mg in the morning to see if it helps. Might make you a bit sleepy though so you can trial it and see perhaps.
Hope it works for you x

Ah thank you!

And I'll check out the book! x

loonarider

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 02:16:09 PM »

I take 400g at night, but it's citrate which is meant to absorb more readily.
😊

Ah I had initially tried citrate and didn't notice a difference unfortunately, but we all react differently so. :)

Will definitely up the dose then :)

Postmeno3

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 02:40:21 PM »

Yeah, I think the general theory is citrate is the route to go down at that dosage if your absorption tends to be poor. Also, a quality brand like Solgar for purest form. You could have a Google of the Solgar and Lamberts websites for info, the latter being very helpful with queries. There are also sprays and other delivery methods. Good luck!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 03:26:32 PM by Postmeno3 »

CrispyChick

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 03:18:32 PM »

I swapped to a 3 type high dose of magnesium tablet last month... Not had a migraine since.

I've been taking mine in the morning, not caused me any probs. I was told it should be evening - is it meant to make me sleepy???? I'll forget in the evening hence taking after brekkie.

Peripurple

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 06:10:30 PM »

I take 500mg of glycinate in the evenings.  It is meant to aid with sleep, maybe I need to switch to citrate as not sure how well it is working.

Postmeno3

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 06:23:56 PM »

It can take a good while to show any benefits that are going to show. I think folk can sometimes think they work as sleeping tablets would, with more immediacy. You can also try unadulterated Epsom Salts in the bath, a large handful in warm/hot, not roasting hot water. If you are best avoiding baths due to VA, you can use Epsom Salts in a footbath or spa. Epsom Salts are a form of magnesium and this is a great way to absorb it.

VictoryV

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2021, 07:53:13 PM »

I take 400mg Magnesium Citrate by Solgar at bedtime too. It relaxes me enough to get to sleep.

holidaylover

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2021, 09:28:23 AM »

Hi loonarider, Can I ask what is the brand of magnesium you use.  I'm suffering terribly with palpitations and am thinking of giving magnesium a try.  Thanks

Gnatty

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2021, 12:53:45 PM »

Victory V is your 400mg the elemental figure? I take a magnesium citrate and it really helps with sleep and I find it calming. On the bottle it says 1480mg, providing 444mg elemental magnesium. It says it provides 118% of NRV. I hope this isn't too much. But when I stop taking or even just take one pill, I notice within a couple of days my sleep deteriorates and wake up feeling a little anxious.

VictoryV

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2021, 02:13:20 PM »

Hi Gnatty, on the label it says Magnesium Citrate high potency, highly absorbable. Each cap is 200mg and the suggested daily dosage is 2 pills. It goes on to say that 400mg Magnesium (as Citrate) is 107% EC NRV (EC Nutrient Reference Value).
I think it’s helping me with sleep too but I’m hesitant to say this as I also take Progesterone.

Gnatty

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2021, 09:54:30 PM »

Similar to mine then. So in answer to your question Loona probably 400 mg is about what you should be taking. It might be that you need something extra too to help you along during the daytime if you find the 400 mg isn't quite doing it for you. Eg I take HRT and also a low dose of mirtazapine.

pinkmarshmallow

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2022, 11:26:55 AM »

I know I’m late on this conversation but wondered how long Magnesium Glycerate(?) 200mg takes to work?  I’ve been taking supplements for a week now and desperate to have less anxiety first thing in the mornings (4am onwards).  Also taking HRT gel and progesterone, Propranolol and Citalopram. 
Also, how are you all doing with the various types of magnesium?  My doctor said no harm in trying it when I asked about it.  Thanks for being here.  Helps tremendously x
Pages: [1] 2 3