Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Diagnosed with Vaginal Atrophy.  (Read 1489 times)

Yecart 777

Diagnosed with Vaginal Atrophy.
« on: November 23, 2021, 11:25:40 PM »

Hi All,

Been to see GP today and I have been told I have Atrophy, been prescribed Ovestin 1mg cream and Replens moisturiser , is this a safe treatment? My last period was 2013. Dr said that the amount of Oestrogen in the cream is minuscule compared to the HCG hormone therapy.

Thanks in advance.

Joaniepat

Re: Diagnosed with Vaginal Atrophy.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 06:59:32 AM »

Yes, Ovestin is perfectly safe. I have never used Replens, but many on the VA Facebook support group do not care for it. Something like Yes VM or Sylk, which have fewer and more natural ingredients, may be better.
JP x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 09:43:05 AM »

Morning.   I get on well with the 'ovestin'.  Using at night it is less likely to seep away.  'replens' can be brought over the counter.  Have a look at the 'sylc' and 'yes' websites if you need a moistoriser.  I use a dab of 'ovestin' round the outer labial regions or KY jelly. 

Let us know how you get on.  At least your GP is aware - we have threads on 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' to read.  Make notes ;-)

Gracie

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 04:54:02 PM »

I am new to all this and its a bit of a journey until you eventually get into a routine, its with you for the rest of your life so buckle in for the ride ahead.

I am using Vagifem pessaries, I started with inserting tablets every morning for two weeks, then 2 tabs each week. 14 weeks on and I soon knew I needed more help. I have now been prescribed Ovesten to apply locally on the outside alongside the Vagifem, which I now use every day.  Doctor had no hesitation in telling me to do this as the doses are so low and safe.  I also use Sylk moisturiser.

You have to be very patient with this type of HRT to work but after 15 weeks I am beginning to feel a lot better but its a learning curve that's for sure and patience the key!

Yecart 777

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 06:40:11 PM »

Hi Gracie,

Does the cream effect anything else, or does it just sort out the problems below ?

Gracie

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 07:41:25 PM »

It just sorts out the problems below replacing the oestrogen that your vagina has lost.
I would suggest you research facts about Ovestin yourself you will find a lot of info online, the paperwork that comes with the prescription is next to useless.

I am on my first day of using Ovestin just on the outside as the Vagifem wasn't reaching that far down. I think its a case of if it works stick with it.
Vaginal Atrophy is a chronic condition that has to be treated, if left the symptoms will just get worse.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 07:44:38 PM by Gracie »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2021, 08:07:32 AM »

Do read the 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' threads on the MM Forum.  Make notes ;-). I bumped both topics last week.