Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Ovestin  (Read 1518 times)

Gracie

Ovestin
« on: November 16, 2021, 05:07:46 PM »

I was thinking of ordering Ovestin online as I want to use it alongside Vagifem, I've read a lot of threads here on Virginal Atrophy and know it can be used together. Vagifem seems to be taking a long time to work (14 weeks) and I know it needs patience, I'm also using moisturisers locally.
I can't be bothered to write and wait for another E-Mail consultation. At 72 I can't see why Ovestin would be a problem but your input would be helpful!   

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Ovestin
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 05:15:53 PM »

Hi there.  How often are you using 'vagifem'?  Some require it nightly.  Occasionally 1 pessary in the afternoon as well as a 2nd the same night is helpful.  Others use moisturisers on the outer labia or 'ovestin'.  I would ring my Surgery - 1 shouldn't be paying for treatment which is available on the NHS.  Leave a message for the prescribing GP asking for 'ovestin' to treat the outer areas.  It may require a phone back call but will be worth it.

In the meant time, have a look-C at the 'yes' and 'sylc' websites as ladies find these products useful.  I use KY Jelly (ducks quickly) with success or occasionally, 'savlon'.  The advantage with 'ovestin' as well as 'vagifem' is that you can use it all over.  DH often whispers when I reach for the 'savlon', "Careful, we don't want it healing up" ;-).   ::)

When I get the need2P I take 2 'nurofen' capsules 3 times a day to ease that nip as the spincter shuts off the urine flow.

Gracie

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 05:29:26 PM »

Perhaps I'm just being impatient, I've been sitting down a lot today which has made my symptoms worse.
I'm using Vagifem, one every day now, and using replens but after reading posts here I am waiting for Sylk to be delivered.

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 08:40:37 PM »

Hi Gracie:  It took  several months to work (vagifem) but needed estrogen cream for external (ovestin) to make a huge difference.  I would STRONGLY contact your GP and get a prescription for Ovestin.   It does take a very long time to work so be patient.  You will get there.

Dierdre

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 09:01:05 PM »

My atrophy improved when i started using Ovestin externally, vagifem is ok internally but never quite reached the outer bits. Replens is not good, i wouldn't recommend you use it.  If you need a moisturiser try YES products, they are organic and dont have harsh chemicals.

Gracie

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 10:40:45 PM »

Thanks for the replies ladies.
I'm learning more and more as time goes on about how to manage VA and this forum has been invaluable, I've never heard of the treatments that have been mentioned here, I am so late to the party!!

I know I have to be patient for Vagifem to get into my system and If I feel I need extra help I will ask for it re the Ovestin.
I started to use Sylk moisturiser today and it seems a good product, VA is a learning curve and I am a work in progress!  :)

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2021, 12:51:40 AM »

I was like you, dx'ed at 68.  Surprise!  If only many of us later VA'ers were better informed at a much younger age, it might not have gotten so bad.  Unfortunately we are playing catch up.

Gracie

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2021, 01:40:07 PM »

Last week I suffered what I thought was another bladder infection but it wasn't, I am learning what the difference is now!
Wrote an E-Consult on Friday requesting an oestrogen cream to work alongside the Vagifem, thanks to this forum I knew what I was talking about and what to ask for!

This morning a text from the surgery that a prescription has been sent to my local pharmacy, I am amazed at how efficient my surgery has been in treating my VA.

When I read posts on here of the lack of understanding by some doctors, I consider myself very lucky. HRT treatment should not be like a post card lottery, women should not have to fight all the time to get the correct treatment when needed. 

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2021, 02:18:38 PM »

Tnx for the update!   Hopefully once the dryness has eased, you will feel relief.

Gracie

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2021, 02:34:59 PM »

As mentioned in my original post I am glad I didn't order the Ovestin cream as I was thinking of doing.
Got it on prescription and after two days of using it I don't think its for me because of burning and soreness when I apply it locally.

I will carry on using the Vagifem and lots of Sylk moisturiser. 15 weeks in I think I am on the right road of managing VA, learning as I go along  ::)

Lyncola

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2021, 08:15:57 AM »

It took me two years, before I tried both Vagifem and Ovestin internally. It was a game changer for me.

Night 1- Vagifem internally and Ovestin externally
Night 2- Ovestin internally
Night 3- Vagifem internally and Ovestin externally
Night 4- nothing

I’m blessed to have a doctor who understand and lets me use both and how often as I need.
A great external moisturiser is needed to, I personally like Yes VM and Olive and Bee

Good luck

Gracie

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2021, 10:27:07 AM »

HRT has always been a case of trial and error and unfortunately Ovestin doesn't agree with me, which is a shame but will get into a regime that suits me eventually.  For any other ladies that get a flare up of VA, I've found a heated pad is amazing at relieving the symptoms, as I sit and watch the telly  :)

Lyncola, so glad you found your routine that works. Sylk is proving great but will also try YesVM.

I now agree what others say about Replens, I also feel its far better to have a natural moisturiser that resembles the flora in the vagina.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2021, 10:46:52 AM »

Sometimes it's the fillers and/or packaging rather than the active ingredient that aggravates  >:(.  If you have found a regime, stick with it  8)