Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What have you found is the best Weight loss plan since hitting peri/menopause?  (Read 11273 times)

LadyCC

Hi all

I am looking in to this more and more as the weight side of things has been problematic from the beginning. 

I was hoping people who have managed to lose weight during this time can share with me what their approach was.  Looking on Amazon I see for example Keto seems to be pretty popular.  One thing that I am seeing reading between the lines is that gluten is a no no and that diets that are recommended are generally quite low on calories and no 'treat's like alcohol

Surely it doesnt have to be so joyless to lose weight at this stage in life?

Postmeno3

Have you looked into Ayurvedic nutrition? It can be interesting just to see what "type" you are and eat what your type requires rather than being enslaved to something you can't enjoy and is therefore a chore? Life's too short! There are questionnaires online to determine type. These can be interesting to do. Obviously, smaller portion size on smaller plates and a 5:2 plan can motivate without being too rigid. Is it possible to have your biggest meal in the middle of the day? Set a small goal and see how you get on? Good luck!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 08:07:10 AM by Postmeno3 »

Ju Ju

I’m intolerant to wheat. It wasn’t difficult to give up. It was a severe reaction. I immediately lost a stone within a month. This coincided with peri menopause. I’d become ‘chunky’ as one person told me. Then I was advised to limit sugar as my glucose levels were rising, with symptoms of pre-diabetes and a very strong family history or type 2 and late onset type 1. I took this seriously and lost another stone. I rediscovered my waist and am a healthy weight. I eat smaller portions, which is not difficult as I no longer want more. I limit processed foods, try and eat plenty of veg, although limiting starchy root veg. But I do have naughty treats. I don’t feel deprived. It’s now a way of life. Don’t eat late at night. I don’t after 7.00pm if I can avoid it. Listen to your body. Mine is very vocal if I eat too much.

LadyCC

Have you looked into Ayurvedic nutrition? It can be interesting just to see what "type" you are and eat what your type requires rather than being enslaved to something you can't enjoy and is therefore a chore? Life's too short! There are questionnaires online to determine type. These can be interesting to do. Obviously, smaller portion size on smaller plates and a 5:2 plan can motivate without being too rigid. Is it possible to have your biggest meal in the middle of the day? Set a small goal and see how you get on? Good luck!

Hey,

Ive never heard of Ayurvedic nutrition - where can I take the test?

Postmeno3

Just put in a search. It's free online. Ayurvedic type test or dosha test.

LadyCC

I’m intolerant to wheat. It wasn’t difficult to give up. It was a severe reaction. I immediately lost a stone within a month. This coincided with peri menopause. I’d become ‘chunky’ as one person told me. Then I was advised to limit sugar as my glucose levels were rising, with symptoms of pre-diabetes and a very strong family history or type 2 and late onset type 1. I took this seriously and lost another stone. I rediscovered my waist and am a healthy weight. I eat smaller portions, which is not difficult as I no longer want more. I limit processed foods, try and eat plenty of veg, although limiting starchy root veg. But I do have naughty treats. I don’t feel deprived. It’s now a way of life. Don’t eat late at night. I don’t after 7.00pm if I can avoid it. Listen to your body. Mine is very vocal if I eat too much.

Hey Ju Ju,

So far so good, pleased its working for you  :).  I have been advised that the most effective way to lose stubborn weight at this time of life is gluten free.  But similar to you, year on year my insulin levels have been rising and I have diabetes in my family.  Those treats are important arent they?  Im tired of seeing 'diets' where they tell you you shouldnt be having these things.  I get that they cannot be daily or regular occurrences but I think that everyone needs a treat now and again - after all, there are approximately 21 meals in a week, surely I can afford for one of those to be an indulgent meal!

I enjoy eating 'good' foods - I have scheduled an appointment with a nutritionist who has experience with creating meal plans for peri/menopausal women and a bunch of test results have come back for me so my fingers are crossed that she will be able to give me a 'structured' approach that finally works. 

I find people have been 2 ways to me - I can either see the shock and horror on their faces when they encounter me and see how much bigger I am or there are those who say nothing and then you catch them out of the corner of your eye making comments about you.  Unsurprisingly I havent been out much in recent months and certainly make sure its out of the town where I live and no one knows me to judge me  :-\

sheila99

Listen to your body. Mine is very vocal if I eat too much.
Mine is vocal if it thinks I haven't eaten enough  ;D
I eat the same as I've done all my life. I haven't had a problem until peri and now I seem to be on frequent diets. If you find a good answer let me know. I'm starting to think I have to eat smaller meals every day, I eat fairly healthily anyway. I think the food processors have a lot to answer for, hidden sugar and fat in may items. When I was a child you put some sugar on your cereal, now it's already in it so you can't avoid it (cornflakes, rice krispies etc not sugar puffs that you know will have too much in. Probably need more exercise too but that's hard when you feel sh*te.

LadyCC

Listen to your body. Mine is very vocal if I eat too much.
Mine is vocal if it thinks I haven't eaten enough  ;D
I eat the same as I've done all my life. I haven't had a problem until peri and now I seem to be on frequent diets. If you find a good answer let me know. I'm starting to think I have to eat smaller meals every day, I eat fairly healthily anyway. I think the food processors have a lot to answer for, hidden sugar and fat in may items. When I was a child you put some sugar on your cereal, now it's already in it so you can't avoid it (cornflakes, rice krispies etc not sugar puffs that you know will have too much in. Probably need more exercise too but that's hard when you feel sh*te.

Hey sheila99

Yes, I will share once I do - re reducing eating, I guess it depends how its done - as long as you are eating dense foods and are not hungry then im sure this has its benefits.  Problem with a lot of general weight loss plans you eat less but lose the substance and they become unstainable.  As I understand it, its 80/20 food/exercise for weight loss and I have been advised that also the best exercise is strength rather than cardio for the, ehm, over 40s  ;)

Ju Ju

Oh LadyCC, bless you! We tend to judge ourselves so negatively, don’t we? And most people are concentrating on themselves, rather than judging others. It hurts when someone gives a negative opinion, but actually it says more about them than you. And if possible, avoid!

Losing weight should be for you. And the best reason for is for health reasons. I do appreciate that clothes look far better on me now I’m slimmer, but I was sad to get rid of some clothes that are far too big now. In my 40s I had to buy size 16. Now 12 on top and bottom 10. Exercise is good, but you would have to do an awful lot to lose any weight. I benefit in other ways by walking, distance depends on how well I feel. If you ever see me running, you had better follow behind in case I’m running away from danger! :o

I’m a recovering chocoholic! But chocolate makes me feel rough, but now I have discovered a free from chocolate made with coconut sugar and milk! Still sugar in it, but not so bad as refined sugar. That’s my naughty treat.

LadyCC

Oh LadyCC, bless you! We tend to judge ourselves so negatively, don’t we? And most people are concentrating on themselves, rather than judging others. It hurts when someone gives a negative opinion, but actually it says more about them than you. And if possible, avoid!

Losing weight should be for you. And the best reason for is for health reasons. I do appreciate that clothes look far better on me now I’m slimmer, but I was sad to get rid of some clothes that are far too big now. In my 40s I had to buy size 16. Now 12 on top and bottom 10. Exercise is good, but you would have to do an awful lot to lose any weight. I benefit in other ways by walking, distance depends on how well I feel. If you ever see me running, you had better follow behind in case I’m running away from danger! :o

I’m a recovering chocoholic! But chocolate makes me feel rough, but now I have discovered a free from chocolate made with coconut sugar and milk! Still sugar in it, but not so bad as refined sugar. That’s my naughty treat.

Ooh Ju Ju - though I'm a savoury person very occasionally I feel partial to a bit of chocolate but also notice it doesnt necessarily make me feel great either - can you share the chocolate you refer to?

Well done to you for your weight loss - its so great to be able to look at yourself in the mirror and like what you see  ;D

I have been having a hard time for months.  I spent my teens and very early 20s being deemed 'chubby' and a bit of a joke amongst some, even those who were so called friends - everyone grew tall I only managed just over 5ft 1" so that didn't help.  My mum is tiny and slim and there was always comments about how little I took after her.  She has never had to watch her weight either.  In my 20s I managed my weight well and was slim throughout and managed to get back even when I had my kids in my early to mid 20s.  That continued in to my mid to late 30s but my weight went haywire when taken off the combined pill and put on other types.  I then managed pull it back in my early 40s only to have it go off piste again despite me not changing anything except my hormones changing and this new phase of life interrupting my weight health and well being. 

I am so tired of not being in control - I long for day that the activity I do and the food I eat finally clicks with my body and the numbers on the scales start going down and my clothes fit with room.  I would totally get it if I was eating badly but I am not.  I know a few woman at this and differing post menopausal stages in their life and when they put their mind to weight loss it works.  For some reason it is evading me despite my best efforts - This nutritionist is an attempt for her to refine the foods I eat specific to me as I think this may be the missing link perhaps.  I certainly hope this works - fingers and toes crossed  :).

Ju Ju

The chocolate is called ombar. Varying flavours, but I like the ‘milk’ chocolate. I buy the 70g one. Not cheap, but a girl has to have her treats! You can buy it in Waitrose, Ocado and Amazon (10 at a time).

It might be worth exploring food intolerances. In my 40s, I would often feel rough after eating, while the weight increased. It was subtle until one day it wasn’t. It was definitely wheat, then later I found all gluten products were a problem. That was more than 20 years ago, when wheat went by numerous weird names. You had to get clued up on various names for different forms of wheat. Now it’s easy. Wheat is highlighted in ingredient lists. And it’s called wheat! Yeah! ;D

I think hormones or lack of do play havoc in many ways. Whereas before you could tolerate stuff, you can’t as you get older. Tough too with weight. The dreaded middle age spread. And why can some people eat whatever they want and others put weight on by looking at it?!! Not fair is it? DH has always been thin, though a bit of tummy is developing now in his 60s.  ;D His eating habits are interesting. He takes forever to eat a meal. I leave him to it. He eats little, but often. It’s a joke in the family that he eats half of something, like half a small banana or half a biscuit! How does he do that? I can’t! But it is said if you slowly chew your food, it helps your digestion and gives it time to inform you when you have had enough. If you eat quickly, you can easily overeat. I keep forgetting to eat slowly!

Paul McKenna has written a book on eating and hypnosis. It has been reported that a lady played the accompanying cd regularly, lost weight. Her partner had no interest, but it was playing in the background. He lost weight too. How true that is I don’t know. Worth exploring maybe?

LadyCC

The chocolate is called ombar. Varying flavours, but I like the ‘milk’ chocolate. I buy the 70g one. Not cheap, but a girl has to have her treats! You can buy it in Waitrose, Ocado and Amazon (10 at a time).

It might be worth exploring food intolerances. In my 40s, I would often feel rough after eating, while the weight increased. It was subtle until one day it wasn’t. It was definitely wheat, then later I found all gluten products were a problem. That was more than 20 years ago, when wheat went by numerous weird names. You had to get clued up on various names for different forms of wheat. Now it’s easy. Wheat is highlighted in ingredient lists. And it’s called wheat! Yeah! ;D

I think hormones or lack of do play havoc in many ways. Whereas before you could tolerate stuff, you can’t as you get older. Tough too with weight. The dreaded middle age spread. And why can some people eat whatever they want and others put weight on by looking at it?!! Not fair is it? DH has always been thin, though a bit of tummy is developing now in his 60s.  ;D His eating habits are interesting. He takes forever to eat a meal. I leave him to it. He eats little, but often. It’s a joke in the family that he eats half of something, like half a small banana or half a biscuit! How does he do that? I can’t! But it is said if you slowly chew your food, it helps your digestion and gives it time to inform you when you have had enough. If you eat quickly, you can easily overeat. I keep forgetting to eat slowly!

Paul McKenna has written a book on eating and hypnosis. It has been reported that a lady played the accompanying cd regularly, lost weight. Her partner had no interest, but it was playing in the background. He lost weight too. How true that is I don’t know. Worth exploring maybe?

On your recommendation I have ordered the Ombar chocolates - thanks for that  ;D

Funnily enough, the panel of tests with nutritionist also includes food allergies so I am sure I will know soon enough...

In the meantime I will check out the Paul Mckenna hypnosis - I dont have any issue with eating well but maybe I need to learn to moderate fretfulness etc as this no doubt is detrimental to cortisol etc.

Sparkler

Hi all

I lost 2.5 stones (35lb) in about 4 months with NOOM. Was better for me as I like food and don’t want to eat differently to others when eating out of at home with DH. It won’t be right for everyone I am sure but I found the daily psychology and support very useful. It’s a year later now and I did out about 7 lb back on over summer and am using what I learnt last year to get rid of those again.

S
x

Haydo

I was told I was pre-diabetic, which was enough of a wake up call for me to do something about my weight.  I went low carb, basically cutting out all bread, potatoes, pasta etc, and all processed foods and sugar too.  It was hard initially but I lost 2 stone in 3 months and am now down to my ideal weight.  I have maintained the weight loss by more or less eating in the same way.  I basically follow a low carb way of eating, but now cook with almond flour for the occasional cakes, biscuits etc.  Just google keto in front of anything you would normally like to make to eat for recipes.  The Michael Mosley book, the 8 week blood sugar diet, was a great help to me. 

Like JuJu I am intolerant to wheat and I just feel so much better eating this way.  My chocolate treat is Lindt 90% dark chocolate, just a couple of squares is enough.  If I am tempted to eat ‘normally’ I usually feel pretty rubbish afterwards, so that is a good incentive to keep on the straight and narrow.

groundhog

Hi all

I lost 2.5 stones (35lb) in about 4 months with NOOM. Was better for me as I like food and don’t want to eat differently to others when eating out of at home with DH. It won’t be right for everyone I am sure but I found the daily psychology and support very useful. It’s a year later now and I did out about 7 lb back on over summer and am using what I learnt last year to get rid of those again.

S
x

I’m considering this Sparkler.  Despite having two stoma bags I’m about 30lbs overweight which isn’t helping.  My diet is restricted though in so much as I can’t eat tons of veg or fruit, I’m mainly carbs and protein plus im a sugar addict 😩. My daughter is getting married next April so I really must start plus I know it will make me feel better about myself.  I’ve joined up for the two weeks trial so fingers crossed x
Pages: [1] 2 3