Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Mirtazapine anyone ?  (Read 2208 times)

warwick01

Mirtazapine anyone ?
« on: August 31, 2021, 05:31:04 PM »

Hi

My GP has given me these today - anyone else taking these ??

Wx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Mirtazapine anyone ?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 07:07:42 PM »

Not personally but my friend with great fear of side effects, began it 2 years ago and hasn't looked back!

Gnatty

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 08:30:20 PM »

I started taking them four weeks ago, I have only good things to say. I had tried Sertraline three weeks previously which gave me really nasty side effects - strange because I had been on them before and been fine. So with the Mirtazapine, improved sleep immediately and then anxiety has gradually improved day by day. I think that they can be a problem if you struggle with weight gain, but for me an increase in appetite has been great because I tend to lose weight with anxiety so had dropped a stone before started on them. Also lots of other ADs can cause weight gain. So have managed to put on four pounds. Will obviously keep an eye on that. What dose has he given you?  I am taking 15 mg. My GP says he generally finds them to be very good and well tolerated. Feel free to message me if you like.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 08:11:08 AM »

I've never gained weight on ADs  :-\

Gnatty

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 08:42:45 AM »

Seems a bit hit and miss, who does, who doesn't!

Gnatty

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 08:49:46 AM »

I think that there is the possibility of a negative spin off from the popular messaging in the media re HRT being the miracle cure for anxiety in women. In that we might feel bad about ourselves if HRT doesn't fix our anxiety, that we have somehow failed or we are not doing it quite right. Sometimes when we are in a spiral and I think CKLD has mentioned this elsewhere, we need something that is going to help us more quickly and decisively than HRT is able to. For sure when we are then in a better place then HRT may well be sufficient. I am just concerned that women don't need any more pressure and shouldn't feel guilty if they need extra help in times of crisis.

What do others think?

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 08:53:17 AM »

:thankyou:   eloquently said  :foryou: having suffered anxiety since the age of 3 and depression since 1988, appropriate medication was my saviour.

As with many drugs, it may take a while to find something that eases symptoms.  HRT is not designed for anxiety or depression, though it may help ladies who know that their symptoms are related to hormonal upheaval. 

We also know that HRT can be hit and miss  :-\ so if someone is already suffering but being told that HRT will help ............

CherrySG

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2021, 08:25:17 AM »

I think that there is the possibility of a negative spin off from the popular messaging in the media re HRT being the miracle cure for anxiety in women. In that we might feel bad about ourselves if HRT doesn't fix our anxiety, that we have somehow failed or we are not doing it quite right. Sometimes when we are in a spiral and I think CKLD has mentioned this elsewhere, we need something that is going to help us more quickly and decisively than HRT is able to. For sure when we are then in a better place then HRT may well be sufficient. I am just concerned that women don't need any more pressure and shouldn't feel guilty if they need extra help in times of crisis.

What do others think?

Totally agree with you Gnatty. Not all mental health problems can be fixed by Hrt. I'm getting fed up with it being suggested as a cure-all. I'm also a bit concerned about the recent trend of women taking large doses of Hrt for a long time, but that will be an unpopular opinion on here.

I'm another who has never gained weight on Ad's. In fact as a stress-eater I generally lose some as I'm not hitting the chocolate 🍫 and 🎂 when stressed.

Good luck with the Mirtazapine, Warwick - hope it works well for you 🍀
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 09:06:01 AM by CherrySG »

warwick01

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2021, 12:50:59 PM »

Hi and thanks everyone.

I have been down so many avenues looking for answers to my anxiety issues. HRT doesn't seem to be working on these issues and I feel I am getting worse. I have been offered anti depressants before but refused as i had a really bad reaction to Surtaleen about 18 years ago. Only took one and had severe vomiting along with hallucinations, so developed a phobia.

Things have got so bad I had a melt down and didn't want to be alone. I have started half of 15mg Mirtazine {my choice) and will increase to full 15 Sat night.
I really hope these work.

Thanks all Wx

Gnatty

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2021, 02:03:13 PM »

I hope you will notice a big improvement very soon. I take HRT too but I really needed something else for my anxiety. Best of luck, and do report back and let us know how you are doing.

warwick01

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2021, 03:20:54 PM »

Hi Gnatty

How long before you noticed a difference?? Did you start and continue on 15mg ?? after my bad experience with Surteline I keep waiting for a bad reaction :(

Wx

Gnatty

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2021, 04:30:20 PM »

I got my appetite back pretty much the very next day, but I started straight onto 15mg. I had the terrible start up with Sertraline too. The sleep improved quickly -  the anxiety was more slow and steady. I did take a very small 5 mg of beta blocker the first few days but I soon found I didn't need them. Likewise I also had in stock diazepam but again once on the mirtazapine hardly needed them at all. Maybe once or twice. I felt so dreadful esp on the Sertraline that once on the mirtazapine it was like the difference between night and day. You probably know that the most benefit with anxiety typically occurs between week four and six so I am expecting to feel bloody marvellous in the next few days haha! I think you will notice more benefit when you take 15mg, I think 7.5 is more just for sleep.