Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25

Author Topic: Crippling anxiety and noise sensitivity  (Read 26364 times)

Suzysheep

Crippling anxiety and noise sensitivity
« on: August 24, 2021, 12:45:10 PM »

Hi. I’m 49. Haven’t had a period for around 2 1/2 years.  I have suffered hot flushes and headaches, but for around 6 month or so my body started hurting all over. My joints were very painful, so, I went to see my gp and was put on everol conti ( sorry can’t spell it) patches. To cut a long story short I had the worst pms and painful heavy period so was told to stop.
Over the next couple of weeks my anxiety has become so high. I’m an absolute mess. I have that horrible fight or flight feeling all day. To make matters worse I’ve become very sensitive to sounds ie someone sniffing to the point where I am miserable. I have read up on this and believe the term for it is misophonia. It’s making life unbearable… my hormones are bottoming out and I really don’t know what to do with myself.
Any tips would be hugely appreciated. I feel like I’ve gone totally mad, and it’s putting such pressure on my poor husband, I feel awful for that too!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Crippling anxiety and noise sensitivity
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 01:18:09 PM »

You are not alone.  I started a thread about 'noise' several years ago  ::).  DO U keep a mood/food/symptom diary, it may be of use.

Anxiety is usually hormonal at 'our age',however, if it is unbearable a 6-8 months course of anti-anxiety medication might help.  I have used relaxation therapy and Bachs mouth spray successfully. 

As oestrogen levels drop off the muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  The body may become dry: inside and out; skin, deep in the ears, scalp, nostrils, vaginal area ...... browse round. Make notes  :welcomemm:

Suzysheep

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 01:44:16 PM »

Thank you CLKD.
Do you have a link to the noise thread?

I don’t keep a diary…. But I’ll have a good look over the forum
I’ve been prescribed citalopram, which I haven’t noticed any relief from as yet, but was told give it 2 weeks.
Xx

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 02:26:09 PM »

Hi
Sorry to hear you feeling so poorly. Just to say the Citrilopram will often increase anxiety for the first couple of weeks so hopefully it may start to level off a bit now. I don’t know anything about noise sensitivity I’m afraid.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 02:27:36 PM »

Bumped my thread on 'noise'.

We talk about everything on here, even menopause  ::) - exercise, dog breeds, birds, gardening .........

Suzysheep

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 04:10:50 PM »

Hi
Sorry to hear you feeling so poorly. Just to say the Citrilopram will often increase anxiety for the first couple of weeks so hopefully it may start to level off a bit now. I don’t know anything about noise sensitivity I’m afraid.

Oh dear, I didn’t know it would increase it first  :-\
I don’t know if it can be increased… it feels like it’s at the highest it can be!

Gnatty

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2021, 06:38:42 PM »

Just to say keep going! The most beneficial effects from an AD for anxiety  usually start between weeks 4 and 6 but from week two you might well start to notice small improvements x

TheAmericansWife

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 06:40:38 PM »

I’m sorry you’re experiencing such high anxiety, that is where my peri-menopause sits too so I feel you. It’s a shame you couldn’t stay on the estrogen as I found it helps. I also really struggled with annoyance of noise. Again that has subsided for me with the HRT, have you seen the earn plugs which help quite the annoying frequency noises? I’m thinking about purchasing a pair, they’re made for highly sensitive people, they may help

Suzysheep

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2021, 09:04:51 PM »

I’m sorry you’re experiencing such high anxiety, that is where my peri-menopause sits too so I feel you. It’s a shame you couldn’t stay on the estrogen as I found it helps. I also really struggled with annoyance of noise. Again that has subsided for me with the HRT, have you seen the earn plugs which help quite the annoying frequency noises? I’m thinking about purchasing a pair, they’re made for highly sensitive people, they may help

No I haven’t heard of them….. what are they called?

I think more HRT might be off the cards for me for now, I had such a bad experience with the patches, I’m too scared to try anything else.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2021, 09:32:32 PM »

Some anxiety increases with ADs - mine never did!  In 2001 I was given Propranolol to ease early morning anxiety surges and an Anti depressant (1989) to treat the depression.

Ear plugs are OK for short term use, they can cause ear infections if not kept scrupulously clean. 

MayB get the anxiety sorted then consider H replacement T again, there are several methods of treatment. 

TheAmericansWife

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2021, 07:20:28 AM »

No I haven’t heard of them….. what are they called?

I found them on Insta, they’re called loopearplugs dot com

Suzysheep

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2021, 12:01:45 PM »

Thankyou Theamericanswife I have looked at the website and read all the reviews. I’ll be giving them a try x

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2021, 01:42:31 PM »

U can B the MM tester of the product then let us know  ;)

Suzysheep

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2021, 02:34:06 PM »

Of course, I’ll let everyone know how I get on with them CLKD  :)

Dee

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2021, 03:00:00 PM »

Hi just to say l am on 20 mg citralopram for depression in menopause been taking for almost 4 weeks although some symptoms increased at first today lm finding negative thoughts and panic subsiding for few hours feeling much better  could still have blips but can see light now .keep with it gets better can take 6 to 8 weeks for full benefits .we can get better.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25