Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 46

Author Topic: Tell us how you cope with poor sleeping  (Read 650428 times)

SadLynda

Re: Tell us how you cope with poor sleeping
« Reply #555 on: August 03, 2015, 02:59:50 PM »

Not read all 38 pages yet.  But just wanted to add myself to the insomnia brigade.  Been going on for the last 3 years, my GP has no interest.  I cant remember the last time I had a full nights sleep.  I get to sleep fine as always so exhausted, but the most I sleep is 2 hours before waking, not always that, then I see each hour till its time to get up.
Do all the stuff I am meant to, and none of the stuff I am not.

Take Quite Life herbs, Ashwaganda and just started on magnesium oil.

netty114

« Reply #556 on: August 03, 2015, 07:17:08 PM »

I am new to this site, but needed to find others who were in the same predicament as me.  I suffered for 2 years with bad sleep at night and eventually succumbed to the HRT as I was so tired during the day.  After 2 weeks of HRT I was sleeping through the night!! I was initially on the sequi and after 2 years doctors changed me to the conti patch.  Apparently you shouldn't bleed using this, but 12 months in (about 6 weeks ago) I had a heavy bleed. I wasn't worried but thought I should tell the doctor  ..... it's been downhill from there!!  :(  I had to come off the HRT and went straight back into hot flushes, night sweats and waking every 40 minutes or so throughout the night.  I have had a scan and a biopsy (due to the bleed), the consultant has lost the scan results so wants to me have another, and now my appointment next week has just been cancelled. I was given amitriptyline to help sleep, but it hasn't helped and I have decided to come off them as I feel more lethargic during the day than I did on no sleep! Not sure what my next move is going to be, each night I go to bed hoping that "this will be the night" when I actually sleep through! I am going to look at some of the suggestions that I have read in previous messages but feel I want a "quick fix". I feel for all you fellow sufferers - us ladies are really put through the mill.

dazned

« Reply #557 on: August 03, 2015, 07:28:58 PM »

Could you ask your Dr for a short supply of sleeping tablets it's to tide you over,explaining that lost scans and cancelled appointment is having a very negative impact on your sleep and well being beyond your control after all it is the consultant s fault . Alternetively maybe some diazepam would help you through this troublesome time.

netty114

« Reply #558 on: August 03, 2015, 07:40:18 PM »

Thanks dazned, not having taken sleeping pills before - does the "sleeping" effect carry on during the day or will I be up and raring to go? I need to drive to work every day.  If they are the answer, I am happy to try.

Taz2

« Reply #559 on: August 04, 2015, 07:00:03 AM »

Hi netty - welcome to the forum.

Just want to say that if you'd like to introduce yourself under New Members then more of us will see your post and welcome you. You might get more advice re your GP's decision to stop HRT too - seems a bit of a hasty decision to me to be honest. It's so frustrating when results go missing. Has your biopsy result come through yet?

Has the bleeding stopped now? Do you mind me asking how old you are?  So many questions.. sorry!

Taz x  :welcomemm:

SadLynda

« Reply #560 on: August 04, 2015, 10:56:27 AM »

Welcome Netty, just to answer your sleeping pill question - on my brief few days of bothering with them, I got about 4 hours sleep and felt no different than usual (without sleep) in the morning, still able to drive and work.  They are of course different for every person, this was just my experience.

I have just been reading about 5htp, anyone had any joy with that for sleep?

netty114

« Reply #561 on: August 04, 2015, 06:46:02 PM »

Thank you for the welcome SadLynda and Taz2.  I will add myself to the new members.  Thanks.  In answer to your questions, I am 54, yes the bleeding stopped and hasn't returned so been "normal" in that aspect for 6 weeks. I too thought it was a hasty decision to take me off HRT but I suppose they have to be cautious.  I was due to get the biopsy results next week but as the consultant has cancelled the appointment I don't know when I will get them now.  I phoned the doctor today and she has suggested clonodine but as it lowers bp I am due to go in tomorrow for her to check mine first.  I am not too sure about it though having just read up on some peoples experiences. My bp is usually normal to low. My doctor said she has to wait to hear from the consultant and her opinion as to whether to restart hrt but will send my original scan results to her and see if she responds.  It's good to be able to talk about this on here with people who totally understand what it's like.  :)

Jbiggin

« Reply #562 on: August 15, 2015, 02:57:14 PM »

I am not coping well!  I work full time in a stressful job and find that when I don't sleep, it is very difficult to function the next day!!!  I also have bad mood swings!  I have tried the natural remedies but nothing works.    Any suggestions? 

babyjane

« Reply #563 on: August 15, 2015, 06:25:54 PM »

yes jbiggin, and hello.  I suggest you post in the new members section because then more ladies will see your post, welcome you and answer your questions.  Your post could easily be missed in the middle of this long thread. Welcome to the forum  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #564 on: August 19, 2015, 02:39:50 PM »

Hi jbiggin

:welcomemm:

I've just seen your post - but then - I'm not a lady  ;) ! Sorry to hear about your lack of sleep. How are your periods doing - and do you think you are becoming peri-menopausal? Many of us have tried natural remedies for menopausal symptoms as we started the journey but later find that these do not work as we got further into menopause so went down the HRT route.  Most of the oestrogen replacement these days is "natural" - by that I mean it is estradiol and bio-identical to the one produced in our own bodies and is made from plants. You can also get "natural" progesterone in the form of Utrogestan as part of HRT too - and all on the NHS. Maybe something to consider depending on where you are in menopause.

Certainly I found the disturbed sleep (due to night sweats) terribly debilitating and especially when I worked full time. Since being on HRT ( 8+ years) the sweats have been banished and I can function normally. :)

Hurdity x

Anglichanka

« Reply #565 on: April 19, 2016, 11:37:22 AM »

In the positive camp: 50 micrograms of estradot seems to be a better dose for me. I've been having awful depression every third day since I started HRT 6 weeks ago. But I upped the dose and so far so good, my mood seems to have stabilized. Hurrah. Also, no more night sweats, though I still get hot, but not to the extent of before, and the very infrequent and minimal flush, but again, nothing like before. I also don't have the brain fog. So that's all great, and I'm grateful. On the other hand, why can't I get to sleep? It's so weird. I go to bed and I'm exhausted, really exhausted. I do LOADS of exercise: one day I ran up a mountain twice and was exhausted, but I still couldn't fall asleep. As soon as I put out the light, I feel like I'm falling asleep and then PING, and for the next hour or so I toss and turn, until I give up and take a Dornomyl (french sleeping tablet, non-prescription, an anti-histamine). It works, but then the next day I'm deep asleep until 10am, which I can do as I'm freelance, but it's not ideal for work patterns. It's nearly time for my two weeks of progesterone, which may help, but I'm at my wits' end. I've always been a good sleeper and this is doing my head in. As for sleep hygiene, I never drink caffeine after 4pm, I don't exercise late at night, I don't eat late, I read before sleep, and if I do check my phone, it's in night mode (less blue light). I'm not expecting any solution, but does anyone know how the menopause does this? I know it messes with melatonin, but this seems to be some kind of trigger that's not working.

Lane

« Reply #566 on: May 29, 2016, 12:27:56 AM »

I'm new to this and not doing so great with insomnia. Night sweats feel like I have peed myself! My GP said it's "probably" peri menopausal symptom. I have heard there's a test they can do. I'm going to see about have that.

JudithChamlers

« Reply #567 on: July 08, 2016, 02:30:32 PM »

Hi there

I'm in the same boat as you. Though early 50s and still get the odd monthly my doctor said I need to face the fact I am now apporoaching menopause. My issue is I get very cold then sweat and then cold again
The best solution from everything I was recommended is pure wool bedding. I was given a gift of a pure wool duvet and have since purchased the mattress topper and pillows from urbanwool.co.uk. They are really helpful and open to talk about what's right based on whether you are too hot or too cold. You use one duvet all year and they are soooo light weight you drift off - heaven - oh and on top of that Lavender spray helps too x

yorkshirerose

« Reply #568 on: July 11, 2016, 08:00:27 PM »

my sleep pattern is so poor - I can go up to 2 hours then I'm awake every hour, I feel like I've been run over by the mornign :'(

Jessicaponies

« Reply #569 on: July 12, 2016, 04:11:06 PM »

I just read in bed when I cant sleep. In the week is fine but Friday night is social night with hubby so I normally have some wine and I sleep better, try to relax in the bath before going to bed too.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 46