Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: BioIdentical HRT vs Natural Supplementation  (Read 7681 times)

LadyCC

BioIdentical HRT vs Natural Supplementation
« on: April 08, 2021, 09:00:09 PM »

Hi All

I wondered whether you would mind sharing your experiences -

Have you tried BHRT and then reverted to Natural Supplementation?
What was your reasoning?
Did your symptoms improve?
How long did you give it before making the switch?

Similarly..

Have you tried Natural Supplementation and then reverted to BHRT?
What was your reasoning?
Did your symptoms improve?
How long did you give it before making the switch?

Also has anyone tried Dr Vegan's Menofriend???

As you can probably tell, im trying to make a decision and would be interested in hearing peoples experiences.  Many thanks in advance
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 09:02:13 PM by LadyCC »

sheila99

Re: BioIdentical HRT vs Natural Supplementation
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 09:30:22 PM »

You get meno symptoms because you're deficient in oestrogen so the best option is to replace the oestrogen you no longer produce - so hrt.

Sophie20

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 04:33:30 PM »

Hi,

Yes, I have been on a largely plant based diet for a number of years; to try and boost the phytoestrogens. I had Japanese fermented soya beans as part of the regime; as the Japanese women have relatively few menopausal issues (or at least they are not mentioned!).  I have tried some herbal supplements but was concerned about liver toxicity or other side effects.  In the end my estrogen levels were still not high enough.  I think it may be successful for some though?

LadyCC

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 09:09:27 PM »

Hi @Sophie20 - thank you for taking the time to respond.  I am still exploring this route

Iris67

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 10:34:25 AM »

I put some info on my experiences with this on another thread - using my own experiences, the differing doctors approaches (all 'real' docs or consultants) but I got a bit of a slap down so I won't be repeating. MM in danger of 'cancel culture'.

KarineT

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 08:22:09 AM »

HRT can't be the only solution.  Also no everyone can take it.

Aprilflower

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 09:33:13 AM »

I agree KatineT.

There is no one size fits all.

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 04:57:05 PM »

Hello ladies.

The question of why meno symptoms are severe for some women and mild for others is probably as old as the hills. I assume that if your symptoms are mild then HRT or even supplements are not required but if your quality of life is being ruined then any and all treatments would be considered.

Ages ago a GP told me that about twenty percent of women have a very hard time and no one knows why. When I last saw him and complained about my mood problems he said not to worry as they settle eventually. Eventually can sound like a life sentence when you think you are losing your mind!

I believe the charity that Louise Newson has set up will look at research into the menopause so perhaps one day we will have some answers. The charity is crowd funded  to prevent pharmaceutical companies from buying undue influence. Maybe if we all make a donation we can help ourselves and future generations of women as well.

Wishing everyone well.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2021, 05:47:59 PM »

Which thread Iris?  Was the comment removed  :-\

Menopause is natural. However, some symptoms can be awful.  What is in the 'natural' supplements that you would consider?  How much are fillers and packaging for example, with a small amount of ingredient which may/not assist.

A lack of oestrogen is the main reason why women feel ill.  So H replacement T works for many.  Some get help with supplements until their own hormones take over, also, some can have toxic side effects if taken for 'too' long.  However long 'too much' might B.

Think about which symptom you would like to ease first?  Put it into the search box on the Forum and C what pops up, make notes  ;). Bio-identical are at least researched with regards to menopause. 

LadyCC

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2021, 11:14:40 AM »

Hi all

My symptoms are those associated with oestrogen dominance.  I know the common theme is that oestrogen works magic for most but I have not found it beneficial and I do think that perhaps I dont tolerate it well as every single time I have been using it my symptoms are constant and exacerbated even if only using half a pump as I have been most recently but it was extremely bad when I was following the NICE guidance on 2 pumps.  I have spoken to a practitioner recently who advised that there is growing research in relation to utilising bio identical HRT initially without necessarily supplementing with oestrogen as it is progesterone that depletes first and for many women oestrogen goes up and down for a while before it finally sinks.  Also I was told by the Integrated Practioner who has a specific interest in this field that there is very little evidence and research to support oestrogen use during menopause - most studies have been done on this with people who have not had a period for over 12 months and so are in menopause. 

Currently I am waiting for the results from a DUTCH test so that will help me with what next steps to take.  I have temporarily paused oestrogel and am taking a supplement high in phytoestrogens which I know will not be as strong as oestrogel but I am just wondering if perhaps my body can only tolerate a more milder form.  In the meantime I still take the bio identical utrogestan.  Very early days yet so just monitoring at the moment so we shall see

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2021, 12:18:25 PM »

Do U require oestrogen at this moment in time?

LadyCC

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2021, 02:08:50 PM »

Do U require oestrogen at this moment in time?

I guess that remains to be seen.  I will receive the results back sometime around the 24th June and will know definitively then.  In trying the supplements it is a last ditch attempt to see if I can tolerate some kind of oestrogen to have that additional protection but your right, it may not be necessary.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2021, 03:01:20 PM »

A drop in oestrogen is usually what causes a lot of symptoms.  Mine manifested in less and less periods, a few flushes then VA. Gradually, fortunately.

Until my periods waxed and waned I had no inkling about The Change ............

TrustandHope

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2021, 03:10:03 PM »

LadyCC - I am interested in what you discover. When I lived in the USA there were a number of women who only took progesterone (as a cream) in perimenopause. Now I KNOW this is highly controversial over here, but I wonder if we are missing something for some women?

Before anyone asks, I am not thinking of using unlicensed progesterone cream but I do find I am happier during the second half of my cycle when progesterone is on the up, so wonder if it is more about progesterone diminishing first. I am certain the oestrogen effects will kick in at some point too!

I am also on the not-so-skinny side so wonder if my body produces more oestrogen.

Ah, questions and more questions...

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2021, 03:48:54 PM »

Curioser and curioser ............
Pages: [1] 2