Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Covid vaccine hesitancy  (Read 5815 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Covid vaccine hesitancy
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2021, 02:55:38 PM »

These are the live  attenuated vaccines used in the UK: (vaccines.gov.uk)

Rotavirus vaccine.
MMR vaccine.
Nasal flu vaccine.
Shingles vaccine.
Chickenpox vaccine.
BCG vaccine (TB vaccine)
Yellow Fever vaccine (travel vaccine only)
Oral typhoid vaccine (travel vaccine only)

17 Jan 2019

CLKD

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2021, 02:58:08 PM »

12 January 2021

This article is part of a series of explainers on vaccine development and distribution. Learn more about vaccines – from how they work and how they’re made to ensuring safety and equitable access – in WHO’s Vaccines Explained series.

As of December 2020, there are over 200 vaccine candidates for COVID-19 being developed. Of these, at least 52 candidate vaccines are in human trials. There are several others currently in phase I/II, which will enter phase III in the coming months (for more information on the clinical trial phases, see part three of our Vaccine Explained series).

Why are there so many vaccines in development?

Typically, many vaccine candidates will be evaluated before any are found to be both safe and effective. For example, of all the vaccines that are studied in the lab and laboratory animals, roughly 7 out of every 100 will be considered good enough to move into clinical trials in humans. Of the vaccines that do make it to clinical trials, just one in five is successful.

Having lots of different vaccines in development increases the chances that there will be one or more successful vaccines that will be shown to be safe and efficacious for the intended prioritized populations. ......... [continued on the web-site]

Sparrow

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2021, 03:16:40 PM »

As I get extreme health anxiety I am really worried I will have short or long term problems if I have the vaccine.  Does anyone know of bad side effects besides the fatigue etc.  Thanks

I had the AZ one, and they ask you about reactions to past vaccinations.  If there is any problem I am sure you would not be pushed into proceeding.

suzysunday

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2021, 04:29:22 PM »

Thanks for all the replies, though not so good for whatsupwiththis.  It's been really helpful.  I got my letter yesterday and thought I would make an appointment straightaway before I had time to talk myself out of it, but there is nothing available at my nearest Boots store, only places further afield and I don't drive, so will have to wait a bit.

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2021, 04:35:08 PM »

Keep checking daily.  When DH got his letter he signed in straight away but wasn't eligible  ;D until 36 hours later.  So we went together to a pharmacy and are booked in there for the 2nd in May.

Salad

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2021, 04:55:22 PM »

Hello  :)

I have a history of adverse reactions to vaccinations and a pretty long list of medications. Plus anaphylaxis to Morphine. Consequently I was concerned about having the COVID vaccine, but knew I would despite these reservations.
Safeguards considered for me was having it in a doctor led vaccination centre and having the AstraZeneca vaccine rather than the Pfizer.
The doctor asked what reaction I’d had to the flu vaccine, which was enlarged, painful lymph glands under my arm and in my neck. She then said to expect side effects from the COVID vaccine. She recommended taking the next two days off work, resting and taking paracetamol.

I had nausea within 5 minutes of the injection and a headache within 15 minutes. I then woke up in the night aching all over, so took paracetamol. I developed a raised temperature at lunchtime and my arm was tender and red by bedtime. I woke up the next day with a swollen, painful lymph gland under the arm. I had the injection on a Tuesday and it took until the Sunday to feel better.

All things considered I think the side effects were unpleasant but I’m glad I’ve had it and will be having the second dose.

It is a personal choice, but for me it’s a simple one.

jaypo

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2021, 06:44:18 PM »

Hi again Suzy, I took a really bad bout of the flu,was completely off my feet and very ill but whether the vaccine will have the same effects I've no idea,it's ok hearing good news stories but like you,I'm panicking  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2021, 07:15:51 PM »

Speak to your practitioners B4 you make your appts.?  Make sure that you are given a time where you can sit after the vaccination, we were told simply not to drive for 15-20 mins.. 

marge

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2021, 09:05:30 PM »

I had the AZ jab on Sunday; started to get flu like symptoms 8 hours later that lasted about 18 hours.  Paracetamol and a day in bed sorted it out. Apparently, this reaction means good antibodies. Who knows, l was just grateful to get the vaccine.

loonarider

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2021, 03:33:54 PM »

I'm concerned about long term issues because of the vaccine being trialled for less time than usual.  Stuff like it altering your dna and also strokes and Bell's Palsy I read about.  I know I am reading too much .  Plus some things I had been prescribed in the past by gps having side effects like otomize ear drops that gave me tinnitus.
There are some quack scientists saying the most dangerous things on social media, but all I can say is listen to scientific consensus on this and fact check everything!. The vaccine does not alter DNA and Bells Palsy is rare - severe adverse events in general or rare. When it comes to vaccines, the benefits outweigh the risks everytime, and if we are going by the vaccines we've had pre pandemic - none have caused long term symtpoms. It's a choice between do I want to contract the disease and possibly die or suffer with damaged lungs and heart or take the vaccine. We have to look at risks in perspective and asses them. If anything, you'll a bit crappy and under the weather for a few days and worst case scenario ( if you have a history of severe allergies to medication/food) your medical provider will be ready to deal with it ASAP no problems. You'd be in safe hands.

Personally, I think I'll end up crying when I get the vaccine from sheer happiness - can't wait to get out of this neverending nightmare.

milly

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2021, 08:44:24 PM »

I had mine this evening.

I couldn’t confirm my name as I was so emotional. We have been shielding for a year now and it just seems like a huge weight beginning to lift.

I may be off colour tomorrow but I will still be relieved.

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2021, 08:50:03 PM »

:medal:

Joaniepat

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2021, 09:22:52 PM »

And a  :medal: from me too. Yesterday I had to have an engineer here to update the intruder alarm, and it was nice to think that it was 4 weeks since I'd had my Pfizer vaccine, so it will have kicked in by now. I suppose the possibility of the vaccinated being able to infect others might still be there (in spite of taking all the usual precautions) but at least I felt relatively safe.

JP x

ElkWarning

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2021, 10:44:05 PM »

I had the vaccination, AZ, and a completely horrible response - knocked me off my feet for three weeks.  But I also have a disabled son, and I don't want him to die.  I'm really grateful to people who have huge reservations and health anxiety (believe me, I know how you feel) but who still go ahead to protect themselves and others.  It's a huge step for some folks.  Thank you to everyone who's making sure my son can see his 28th birthday.

Dierdre

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2021, 04:57:31 AM »

I was booked to have my vaccine tomorrow but its now been rescheduled until next Sunday as they have a supply problem.
Pages: 1 [2] 3