Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Root canal pain  (Read 6418 times)

shrosphirelass

Root canal pain
« on: January 29, 2021, 12:19:41 PM »

Just looking for reassurance. I had a root canal treatment yesterday and it has left me in a lot of pain. I was in pain before with toothache. When I got back from the dentist and the anaesthetic wore off it was agony, despite being on pain killers. I put some numbing gel and that did help. It isn't quite as bad today, but still hurts alot so had to have pills and numbing gel. I couldn't sleep due to the discomfort and it is extrememly painful if I inadvertently bite / touch it. I just want to check if this is normal? I have had root canals before and I don't remember them hurting like this. The dentist said I would be sore for a few days, but this is more than soreness!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Root canal pain
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 12:31:22 PM »

Ring him back!  He may give a prescription for antibiotics in case there is infection.  Jaw/tooth pain is the pits!

MayBe too ring a pharmacist to see how much and which combination you can take pain relief.  When do you return?

Sparrow

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 01:51:36 PM »

Sometime root canal treatment can temporarily increase the inflammation.

Was the dentist able to drain down any infection during the treatment??

mandss

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 02:43:48 PM »

I had a similar experience 2 years ago , a toothache that would not go away. Had a crown fitted but it got worse. Spent nearly a year on antibiotics, finally gave in after standing in  the dentist reception in tears and had a root canal. Three visits later I was in so much pain that I was almost suicidal. Eventually had the tooth taken out, but the pain continued. (£2000 spent so far). I have now been to a new dentist and diagnosed with bruxism. Had a tooth guard made to stop me from breaking any more teeth. I do not think my tooth ever had the chance to recover from the surgery due to the constant stress in my jaw and biting down on it all night long. You might have an underlying infection in the gum x good luck, it sent me crackers. I lost over a stone in weight during this time, finally managed to put the weight back on xx

shrosphirelass

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 12:24:17 PM »

I think I have to give it time to settle before I contact them CLKD. It is feeling a bit better but no where near right yet. I'm not sleeping well, mainly due to being uncomfortable as I normally sleep on my side and the pressure of this seems to aggravate it. Another concern I have is that I am still waking up with a foul taste in my mouth which I thought should resolve with the root canal treatment?

Shadygale, I'm guessing the dentist cleaned out the infection. He ceratinly put some kind of bleach material in the cavity. He said when I go back in two weeks he will clean it out again. I'm guessing he is hoping what he has done will sort out the infection, but maybe this takes time, explaining the continuing horrible taste.

mandss, are you pain free now? It sounds horrendous. The dentist did suggest TGN to me but I don't think it's that.

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 12:49:03 PM »

I've had 2 and have had nothing like the pain you're getting. They wouldn't do mine until the infection had gone (by antibiotics). Has he actually done the root canal or just put a temporary filling in? Just confused when he says he'll clean it out in a fortnight because if he's done the permanent filling he can't get at it to clean it. I would contact him on Monday if it's still intolerable, I don't think the pain you have is normal.

Sparrow

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 01:17:27 PM »

I think I have to give it time to settle before I contact them CLKD. It is feeling a bit better but no where near right yet. I'm not sleeping well, mainly due to being uncomfortable as I normally sleep on my side and the pressure of this seems to aggravate it. Another concern I have is that I am still waking up with a foul taste in my mouth which I thought should resolve with the root canal treatment?

Shadygale, I'm guessing the dentist cleaned out the infection. He ceratinly put some kind of bleach material in the cavity. He said when I go back in two weeks he will clean it out again. I'm guessing he is hoping what he has done will sort out the infection, but maybe this takes time, explaining the continuing horrible taste.

mandss, are you pain free now? It sounds horrendous. The dentist did suggest TGN to me but I don't think it's that.

It sounds like you have had quite a bad infection.  He will wash it out again and you may have to wait for a third appointment to get the perminant filling.  What you have now will be a temporary one containing an anti inflammatory and an antibiotic.  Unfortunately oral ABs are often not effective for tooth abscess.  Not enough blood flow I think.

For pain relief I have found two nurofen plus one cocodimol to work the best.

Hope you feel better soon
Shadyglade

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2021, 02:23:11 PM »

This pain doesn't seem normal.   :-\.  The nasty taste may well be infection draining ........ were you advised regular boiled salted water, cooled, as a mouth wash?

Your Dentist could have given you a printed treatment plan and added to that the treatment carried out.  Then when you got home you weren't as confused about what might have been done.  I would give the Surgery a ring on Monday 2 ask exactly what has happened and why the wait  of 2 weeks.  At the very least the dentist should be ringing to C how U R? 

My dentist told me that no surgery should be undertaken B4 the infection had been controlled or it could spread round the body to the heart  :o.  When I had the 1st implant treatment I had 2 weeks ABs prior to the tooth being removed, in case.  Fortunately I was OK.

I was warned about some type of pain which can't be controlled, it had a complicated name.  That was when I wanted a cap removed and the tooth taken out due to pain.  Can't remember what the expression was  :-\.  I can't take co-codamol, it makes me really ill. 

How is it now?

Sparrow

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2021, 02:49:03 PM »

Hi Shropshirelass

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/root-canal-treatment/

The above NHS link gives upto date information about root canal treatment.

Please note the section on antibiotics, where it says

'are not effective in treating root canal infections'.

Shadyglade

sorbet

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2021, 05:53:35 PM »

I don’t think you should be suffering like this. I’ve had root fillings and although uncomfortable , they’re much better the following day.
I would ring for some antibiotics. Even if it means ringing out of hours .
The unpleasant taste is a sure sign of infection.
Hope you feel better soon , salty rinses will help and strong pain relief. x

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2021, 05:55:32 PM »

I wince when I read the title of the thread  ::).  Sometimes Dentists will pack the affected area with anti-biotic padding which feels really long when removed  :o

sorbet

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2021, 06:03:21 PM »

Oh I know, I can’t bear the thought of anyone suffering unnecessarily.
It’s amazing the length of the tooth when they’ve removed the pulp and gone into the root . I’m pretty sure the nerves are removed too .
Poor girl, wish the dentist was open.  :-\ xx

Sparrow

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2021, 06:03:58 PM »

I wince when I read the title of the thread  ::).  Sometimes Dentists will pack the affected area with anti-biotic padding which feels really long when removed  :o.

Not anymore.  That procedure is not allowed for now.  The antiseptic was basically creosote,

shrosphirelass

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2021, 07:54:56 PM »

No I don't think the dentist put a wad of anything in. He used lots of thin needles (or thats what they looked like) to clean out the roots and then put a solution of something like chlorine in. I know that from the smell and from the fact it burnt the back of my throat as some trickled down. Pain has ramped up this afternoon I'm hoping its because I got a bit brave and had something a bit chewier for lunch. Back to the numbing stuff and soup.

Sorry, I know I am being self pitying and going on, but I am so fed up with it and worried the end is not in sight.

Thanks all for your support, it is appreciated.

Sparrow

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2021, 08:05:19 PM »

What pain relief are you using??

Probably best to stick to softish food and eat on the other side.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4