Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33

Author Topic: GP has prescribed Qlaira - Feeling scared and need encouragement!  (Read 53333 times)

Gilla999

Re: GP has prescribed Qlaira - Feeling scared and need encouragement!
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2020, 01:24:08 PM »

Thanks Hurdity!

Day 3 of taking it today and I feel fine... headache has gone. Any lingering yucky feelings are minimal really.

The real test will be if it stops my cyclical symptoms.... forgive me, but if it stops you from ovulating, which it does within 7 days if taken at the start of the cycle, is that not the same thing as suppressing your own cycle hormones? Perhaps not  ???

Yes I found it interesting that there wasn't much info too... I read all the posts there are! Am hoping that is a good sign xx

MadameOvary

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2020, 03:55:22 PM »

Thanks Hurdity. I will definitely keep a symptom diary and post any updates here. I am still a bit worried that I could make things worse by adding more hormones into the mix but I'm going to give it a try for 3 months and see what happens.

It's difficult because when I'm feeling ok, I think why would I want to start taking medication and possibly increasing my risk of stroke, breast cancer etc. But then when I'm in the depths of PMS or a terrible, heavy period, I feel like I'd happily take any risks if there was a chance of improving things.

CrispyChick

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2020, 06:56:19 PM »

Ladies. Can I follow along???

Having a very hard time finding something to suit. I'm 44. Tried numerous pills... None of them suited. I'm looking at zoely.

How are you getting on with it?

I'm a little confused though. It has 1.5mg estradiol and is a combined pill that should shut down your system? But fenoston 2/10 HRT has higher dose of estradiol but this tops up rather than shuts down the system. I'm confused by that.... I'm currenty taking 1/10 femoston but finding even 1mg estradiol too strong... Hoping with prog I'll find it better...

Uptick

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2020, 01:26:58 PM »

Hi CrispyChick, I'm not an 'HRT expert', all I do is read the available info and try to understand it, so what I'm thinking is that Zoely's action relies on the 2.5mg nomegestrol acetate by inhibiting ovulation and changing cervical secretion, according to the SmPC for the drug 'The contraceptive effect of Zoely is based on the interaction of various factors, the most important of which are seen as the inhibition of ovulation and the changes in the cervical secretion' Don't ask me what 'various factors' means...

CrispyChick

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2020, 02:23:35 PM »

Thanks uptick. That's what I was thinking. In which case I'll probably stay away from it. I just want to override the whole thing... Forever!!!!

In saying that, I've not got on with any of the conventional pills...

But I'm feeling dire on my small solo dose of estradiol.

Will follow along to see how the ladies get on. X

Alicess

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2020, 02:32:23 PM »

Dydrogesterone, the progestin in Femoston, doesn't inhibit ovulation . According to wiki it's an atypical progestin.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dydrogesterone
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 02:34:08 PM by Alicess »

Gilla999

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2020, 05:12:26 PM »

Hi all - well the good news is that I have literally no side effects at all, which blows my mind because (like you Crispy) I tried every Pill under the sun in my 20s and early 30s and couldn't get on with any of them - most of them made me feel incredibly angry and rubbish. If I had discovered this contraceptive a lot earlier I could have saved myself a lot of heartache. But that's another story.

Crispy, I had also noticed the dosage of Estrogen in Zoely and got confused by how it is high enough to prevent ovulation yet seems on the face of it to be a low dose. The only thing I could think of was that it's a different 'type' of Estradiol than in HRT?

I did quite a bit of research before starting it and it definitely primarily prevents pregnancy by inhibiting ovulation though. I made sure of this because like you, I just want to override the whole thing forever as it's the fluctuations that cause me the massive problems. So I'm hoping (praying) that by inhibiting ovulation it will suppress my own natural hormones, as for me it's always straight after ovulation that the problems start. The big test will be in three weeks' time I guess. I'm simultaneously trying not to expect too much but also not cause all the problems with unnecessary anticipation.

CrispyChick

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2020, 05:24:08 PM »

That's amazing gilla. So pleased for you. It gives me hope. Well, possibly not too much hope as I notice its not approved to prescribe by NHS Scotland.  :o a bit like utrogestan. Also qlaira too. 😬

Please keep us updated....after my last 2 weeks experience of estradiol in femoston 1/10, I'm a little scared of estradiol. However, I'll give this a few days with the prog and see if I balance out. Maybe I need both ovulation prevention and estrogen to be balanced with prog. I live in hope.

Please keep us updated 😁

Uptick

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2020, 06:20:35 PM »

Dydrogesterone, the progestin in Femoston, doesn't inhibit ovulation . According to wiki it's an atypical progestin.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dydrogesterone

Hi Alicess, I'm not sure you're referring to my post, I was talking about Zoely, not Femoston.

Alicess

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2020, 07:54:31 PM »

Hi Upstick, ...no, I wanted to explaine to Crispychick why Femoston isn't suitable for birth control. Sorry, I'm a bit hasty these days.

Hi Crispychick, I had these symptoms on a low dose BCP and more severe on HRT. With a higher dose ethinylestradiol and same dose progestin they went away. I don't think ethinylestradiol in BCP is as potent as it should be in everyone and some may need a higher dose. There are so many process that have an influence on hormones that it's almost impossible to figure out. I personally don''t think your symptoms are realated to high estrogen but
I think you have to go by what your instinct is telling you. The only thing I would advise with birth control that you give it at least 3 months and don't take a break during that time.

Take care 🌷
Alicess

« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 08:19:46 PM by Alicess »

CrispyChick

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2020, 07:57:52 PM »

Thanks. I know femoston isn't suitable for birth control. My question is around the estradiol. 1mg in femodton 1/10, 2mg in fenoston /10....both hrt, but only 1.5mg in zoley birth control - so how does zoley shut off the system and be good for peri???

Is it possibly the progesterone in zoley that is doing that work? Like a mini pill? My understanding was it was the high dose of estrogen in the synthetic coc that shut off your own system.

I'm asking because I think I need to turn my own hormones off. Im on a roller coaster with low dose estradiol in femoston 1/10.

dahliagirl

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2020, 08:05:24 PM »

Don't quote me, but my take is that combined oral contraceptives have a high progestogen content which works with the estrogen component to shut down ovary function.  Some of the oestrogen is taken up in counteracting the effect of the progestogen.

Uptick

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2020, 08:07:43 PM »

Hi Upstick, ...no, I wanted to explaine to Crispychick why Femoston isn't suitable for birth control. Sorry, I'm a bit hasty these days.🌷

:)

Hurdity

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2020, 10:55:59 AM »

Thanks. I know femoston isn't suitable for birth control. My question is around the estradiol. 1mg in femodton 1/10, 2mg in fenoston /10....both hrt, but only 1.5mg in zoley birth control - so how does zoley shut off the system and be good for peri???

Is it possibly the progesterone in zoley that is doing that work? Like a mini pill? My understanding was it was the high dose of estrogen in the synthetic coc that shut off your own system.

I'm asking because I think I need to turn my own hormones off. Im on a roller coaster with low dose estradiol in femoston 1/10.

yes that's it as I understand it. The high progestogen dose in these tablets work somewhat like the mini pill. In pills like Qlaira and Zoely (the latter especially) the oestrogen component is not high enough  to suppress ovulation whereas with the BCP type that use synthetic oestrogen in high dose - it is. Therefore for Zoely and Qlaira is has to be the progestogen - because they are supposed to suppress ovulation as well as intefering with conception through alteration of cervical mucus etc. This is from memory so someone can put me right on the detail if I've got this wrong!

As dahliagirl says. I'm not sure about the oestrogen coounteracting the effect of the progestogen? Not sure what you mean by that? The oestrogen is just to replace what might not be produced due to suppression of ovarian function I thought?

Hurdity x

MadameOvary

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2020, 12:11:52 PM »

Hi

Just checking in to say I'm on Day 2 of Qlaira now. So that's 2 tablets of 3 mg estradiol valerate.

Nothing much to report really but that's to be expected. I imagine it will take a while to notice any effects (good or bad). I'm having a very heavy, painful period - the pain woke me up last night and kept me awake for hours - but that's not unusual for me.

Tomorrow I'll move onto the pills that contain 2mg estradiol valerate plus 2 mg dienogest. We'll see if the progestin makes a difference to how I feel.

:)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33