Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33

Author Topic: GP has prescribed Qlaira - Feeling scared and need encouragement!  (Read 49362 times)

MadameOvary

Hi

I went to my GP a few months ago at the end of my tether because of terrible flooding/heavy periods and PMS/PMDD that just seem to be getting worse and worse. I'm 44. I've always had difficult periods and PMS but it's been so much worse the last few years that I assume it's peri (insomnia, low mood, anxiety, irritability, weepiness, aches, etc but still reasonably regular cycle).

Having read around a bit, I managed to convince the GP to prescribe Qlaira.

I'm now on Day 1 of my period so I should take the Qlaira but I'm in the depths of PMS anxiety/brain fog and suddenly feel terrified of taking it. I haven't taken oral contraceptives for 20 years. I'm now panicking about breast cancer risk, about causing more problems by adding hormones to my already out of control hormones.

I just need someone to give me some words of encouragement.

Feeling very low and confused  :'(

Gilla999

Re: GP has prescribed Qlaira - Feeling scared and need encouragement!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 10:57:03 AM »

I can so empathise with this post. I can't give you any wise words of experience, but I am also about to start taking Zoely this morning which is very similar to Qlaira - it contains the same Estrogen and a different synthetic Progestin. My symptoms are almost identical to yours (I'm 42).

My understanding is that the cancer risk is extremely low. As for the hormones - the whole point of the pill is that it will (should) suppress your own erratic perimenopausal hormones (I empathise with that) caused by ovulation so you shouldn't be dealing with one on top of the other. The only downside could be side effects from the pill itself, and that's really a case of trial and error - most people say it takes at least 3 months to settle down. I am trying not to pin too much hope on Zoely and if I can't take the side effects I will try something else. I think you'll never know unless you try. Let's keep in touch. let me know how you get on xx

MadameOvary

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 11:54:54 AM »

Thanks so much for your reply Gilla999. You've made me feel a lot better. I've done so much research about different options (Mirena, HRT, different pills) and a couple of weeks ago I was so sure that Qlaira was the path I wanted to go down. I had to really convince the GP to prescribe it (because it's expensive and she wanted to prescribe something cheaper). But because of how my hormones affect my mood, now I'm actually at the point where I can start taking Qlaira, I'm frozen with self doubt and anxiety.

It's good to know we're in the same boat. I think Zoely and Qlaira are pretty much the same thing. Did your doctor suggest it or did you have to make the case for why you wanted it?

You're right, I can always come off it if the side effects are worse than the problems I've got now.

It would be good to hear how you get on. Good luck x

Gilla999

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 01:43:59 PM »

I'm exactly the same as you - I did a lot of research and then asked for Zoely. I chose it over Qlaira just because the dose is the same every day, though I'm not sure that really makes any difference. I did also speak to a lady over a forum who has great results with it for perimenopause which was reassuring as not many people post positive stories on the internet! I think there are no right or wrong answers as hormones are so specific to each individual, but my thought process was that as it's the natural form of Estrogen it has to be a good starting point. If we can't get on with it, it's likely due to the type of progsterone used, in which case we'd need to try a different one.

I think that's it - it's working out whether the side effects are worse than the original problems. The difficult thing is I am super impatient and everyone/everywhere says it usually takes 3 months for the side effects to die down.

Good luck - I'm sure however it goes it can't be worse than what you're already dealing with (if it's anything like me!) xx

MadameOvary

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 02:24:05 PM »

I've heard good things about Zoely too Gilla999. I also feel like the natural estrogen has to be a better starting point than synthetic.

You've given me the encouragement I needed. You're so right that it can't be worse than the way I feel right now. Well, I guess it could be worse but then I could stop taking it.

I'm also impatient and have read that it takes a good 3 months for things to settle.

Uptick

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 04:35:02 PM »

Hi ladies, Qlaira has estradiol valerate/dienogest and Zoely has estradiol hemihydrate/nomegestrol acetate. Good luck to you both!

Gilla999

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 05:15:35 PM »

That's interesting Uptick, so not the same form of Estradiol in both as I thought? I'm seeing that as a positive - if either of us can't deal with the side effects, it's another option for us to try I suppose! Thanks for your kind words x

Alicess

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 08:15:02 AM »

Qliara is a four phase pill; different dose of estradiol and dienogest in 28 tablets. Estradiol valerate is a bit less potent then estradiol hemihydrate; 1 mg estradiol hemihydrate is equivalent to 1,2 mg estradiol valerate. 

Alicess

MadameOvary

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 08:41:19 AM »

Thanks Alicess. Interesting that they have different levels of potency. I would expect 1mg of one type of estrogen to be equal to 1mg of another type but it sounds like that's not the case.

I'm still feeling a bit wobbly and uncertain about taking it. I thought my period was starting yesterday but it didn't so I guess it will start today and the GP advised starting the pack on Day 1 of my period.

Gilla999 have you started taking Zoely? Have you noticed any effects - positive or negative - yet?

Alicess

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 10:24:51 AM »

Estradiol valerate is a prodrug of estradiol, it means the body has to metabolize it into estradiol.

I hope it will work for you, good luck.

MadameOvary

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2020, 10:47:06 AM »

Thanks Alicess

Gilla999

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2020, 01:47:53 PM »

Yes MadameOvary, I started taking it yesterday morning. So far the only side effects I've had are a banging headache and feeling a bit yucky in general but this could well be because I had to increase my Mirtazapine dose (a sedating antidepressant) a few days ago after another bout of hormonal insomnia. I usually get a headache for a few days and feel groggy when increase the Mirtazapine, so it's more likely to be that. It's early days though.

There is nothing worse than that "waiting for your period" phase where you know you'll feel so better once it arrives!

MadameOvary

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2020, 02:41:54 PM »

I hope the headache clears up Gilla999

The run up to my period is unbearable. The last day or so of waiting I just feel like a total hormonal mess. Exhausted from insomnia, irritable, low mood, high anxiety, sore breasts. It feels like a storm brewing and then it's a relief when the storm breaks.

Uptick

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2020, 06:32:22 PM »

Hang in there ladies. If there's one good thing about menopause is getting rid of periods 💕

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2020, 09:19:56 AM »

Hi there - it is interesting to see women on here being prescribed these pills because I regularly recommend them but without any experience of taking them, and there aren't many on here who do take them. I think that's a good sign - otherwise if there were many problems more women would report them on the forum perhaps?

Do please let us know how you get on Madame ovary and Gilla - but you will need to ride out any sdie effects I think. From what I recall with someone on the forum in the past - it can take several cycles before your own cycle is suppressed, and also if you are taking a strong drug like Mirtzapine, it will be important as you say not to be tempted to attribute side effects to the pill and ride them out.

Do make a note of how you are feeling and what you are taking ie regular diary - and especially with Qlaira as it is tri-phasic as Alicess meniotned ( ie 3 different doses of oestrogen ) to mimic what happens in the menstural cycle.

The good news with Qlaira is that I recall (I think!) there are only two days without oestrogen so you prevent that long dip when oestrogen is low.

Hurdity x
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33