Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vagifem has come off patent  (Read 7887 times)

Blot

Vagifem has come off patent
« on: October 23, 2020, 10:37:19 AM »

Hi ladies.
Just went to pick up my prescription of vagifem only to discover an alternative form of estradiol has been issued. Apparently it is now off patent so the nhs will not specifically request vagifem, obviously due to costs.
It comes with applicators that you have to load with the pessary and wash after use - I always thought the single use applicators were very wasteful but I’ve been spoilt I suppose.

I’m a bit wary because I got on very well with vagifem after initial start up problems but I will let you you if there is any difference. Fingers crossed no change will be noticed.

Uptick

Re: Vagifem has come off patent
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 12:19:33 PM »

Hi Blot, thanks for the update. Is it Vagirux? Someone has posted about it a while ago. It's made by the same manufacturer of Lenzetto estradiol spray, Gedeon Richter. It has exactly the same ingredients as Vagifem, so let's hope you won't feel any difference. It's always possible that the same ingredients from different sources can have traces of contaminants which can irritate the mucosa or cause allergic reactions, but they usually go away with continuous use. Fingers crossed you won't have any issues.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 12:20:58 PM »

I believe that you can buy 'vagifem' off prescription via various pharmacists in the UK?

Blot

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 12:50:34 PM »

It’s just called estradiol 10 micro grams vaginal tablets by MercuryPharma, manufactured by Haupt Pharma Munster in Germany. Looks like exactly the same ingredients.

CLKD you can buy them from Superdrug pharmacy but they are around £40 a box. I’ll give them a go but will have to faff about with the applicator loading and cleaning. Was spoilt with vagifem.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 12:54:08 PM »

It is pricey but at least available.  We shouldn't have to pay for what is on the NHS!!! MayB Dr Currie could comment - ? send a message to Emma ? and let us know?

Uptick

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 01:03:28 PM »

It’s just called estradiol 10 micro grams vaginal tablets by MercuryPharma, manufactured by Haupt Pharma Munster in Germany. Looks like exactly the same ingredients.

CLKD you can buy them from Superdrug pharmacy but they are around £40 a box. I’ll give them a go but will have to faff about with the applicator loading and cleaning. Was spoilt with vagifem.

Thanks Blot, haven't heard of it, but it must be good stuff, Germany is a top leader in pharmaceuticals. There's no reason to buy Vagifem privately. It's normal to have lots of other options available when a patent expires. It's very good news, actually.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 01:08:54 PM »

What other options though  :-\

Uptick

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 01:22:54 PM »

Brand new stuff, PIL is not available yet. https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/11779/smpc

Uptick

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 01:31:15 PM »

What other options though  :-\

CLKD, the only available option was Vagifem. Now we have Vagirux and the generic Estradiol 10 mcg Vaginal Tablets. Of course the NHS will buy the cheaper one, but it doesn't mean it's necessarily an inferior product. And I bet Vagifem  price will fall. That's really good news.

Dierdre

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2020, 02:06:26 PM »

Now its off patent and open to other manufacturers, i wonder if they will be able to change the dosage and have a choice of 10mg or 25mg as previously prescibed.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2020, 02:08:18 PM »

'Ovestin'?  Same idea different delivery ......... works for me thus far. 

Joaniepat

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2020, 02:50:17 PM »

Now its off patent and open to other manufacturers, i wonder if they will be able to change the dosage and have a choice of 10mg or 25mg as previously prescibed.
Now that would be nice, to get the 25 mcg version back!
JP x

Itwillpass

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2020, 03:57:02 PM »

This is exactly what my doctor prescribed for me on Monday as I keep getting a burning in my bladder area as I described it & she said VA. I just wash the applicator with hot water then leave to air dry, burning seems better but could be placebo effect I’m sure it cannot work that quick, just wish my burning back ache would go now  :-\

Catcc

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2020, 10:47:40 AM »

This is really interesting.  Thanks for posting.  I really like vagifem but hate the single use plastic.  Please let us know how you get on with it.

I'm a bit nervous about trying another generic version though as I'm allergic to so many things (can't use the estriol or ovestin or any of the moisturisers).

Thanks

Blot

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2020, 06:15:32 PM »

I will. I’m nervous about starting them too.
Pages: [1] 2