Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Breast implants for life?  (Read 2630 times)

Stillsearching

Breast implants for life?
« on: October 04, 2020, 12:52:17 PM »

Does anyone here have breast implants willing to share experiences? I had mine put in in 1996 after breastfeeding 2 children left me with very painful lumpy breast tissue and almost flat chested. I had thought about implants for a number of years and finally decided to go ahead at a private hospital. When I came round after the op the surgeon said she had removed what little there was of my breast tissue and I was just left with the implants, which she assured me would last my lifetime.  Now I have no reason to think there is a problem with the implants other than they are 25 years old, very soft and shapeless but I've started to worry that as I'm in my 60's should I just carry on with them indefinitely or have them removed or replaced. I don't want to use a GP's time with this and don't really trust a private doctor not to try to sell me replacements. There must be many women my age in a similar position.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Breast implants for life?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 12:54:54 PM »

Hi!  how different do your breasts feel now to how they were following surgical intervention?

Any pain, bruising?  Did you keep the nipples? 

60 is a number.  Maybe contact a Plastic Surgeon via the NHS for advice, you may be able to self refer.  Your local Hospitals should have web-sites that show the specialities that they support.

Sray

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 08:48:11 PM »

Hi....I have breast implants also and I am 51. I have had them for many years and had one replaced 3 years ago when my dog pounced on me and busted it. I almost wish I had just had them removed at that time. I always have that fear that something will happen to one of them again and I will again have to deal with it. If something does happen again I will have them removed.

Maryjane

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 06:57:15 AM »

My understanding is ( your just not told) is they should be replaced every 10 years, I know three ladies who have had them removed & there awful ill health as good as went over night.

There are support groups for those who are ill from them.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 07:21:01 AM »

Also: there may be tumours behind the implants.  Do take advice.

funnell

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 01:14:15 PM »

Hi.stillsearching   Iv just had an implant put in left breast on 6 Oct. Also had   mastectomy as had 2nd  dcis within 10 years which may or may not
spread +become invasive. I'm needle phobic, hospital phobic ,extreme anxiety,depression etc ,so at least I've not got the fear of
getting cancer now. Iv seen cancer killing too many friends, neighbours, family. But I can't take hrt, really suffering. I do worry reg how long
this implant will last. I didn't ask doc but I can't face going through another op in 10 years to remove it! I'm small breasted, but I
still want to look a bit womanly if I'm out,rather than look completely flat

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 02:06:18 PM »

funnell - what advice were you given about possible formation of tumours beneath the implant?

funnell

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 08:47:58 PM »

I was told no need for any more mammogrammes on operated side,so I presumed I can't get a tumour now? But I will
confirm with doc at the follow up appointment +ask "is there a chance a cancer can start in chest wall' I would hope not
as it means I went through trauma of an op for nothing.  + I do wander if a tumour can be detected through an implant.
I don't see how it could but Il ask doc

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 08:49:45 PM »

Tnx.  Let us know.  I wouldn't have bothered quite frankly, 1 lot of surgery was plenty  ::) fortunately I didn't need mastectomy.

Tjsinspain

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2022, 02:12:41 PM »

Hello Stillsearching, I have just found your post as I was searching for HRT and breast implants, as everything seems to be worrying me atm, if  I should carry on with HRT, please can you tell me how have you got on are you on combined HRT, did you have them removed?as I also have had implants since 1997, scared of the thought of having them removed, thank you for sharing.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2022, 03:02:18 PM »

Shirley Ballas from Strictly Come Dancing had hers removed a couple of years ago.

As stated, tumours hide behind implants and cannot be seen on mammogram. 

Tjsinspain

• First Flush
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2022, 03:15:06 PM »

I’m now even more worried, if that’s possible  :'(

Postmeno3

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2022, 03:20:12 PM »

I would get some professional advice if I were you! Certain aspects of this are perhaps best not generalised.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2022, 03:47:47 PM »

Ask your GP for a referral to a breast clinic and take a list o f your worries Tjsinspain.  Think about why you had the implants initially, as well as how often you have been seen by a Consultant for a check up. Years go by and we can forget until suddenly, issues become a worry.

Let us know how you get on. Try not to worry, advice will put your mind at rest then you can decide upon removal or not.

Tjsinspain

• First Flush
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2022, 03:54:39 PM »

Yes I will do, thank you
Pages: [1] 2