Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 423

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1138023 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #3855 on: September 25, 2017, 05:54:45 PM »

Taz  :thankyou: - I need my hand holding ...........  :-X

Nope star35 - Taz got me there .......

Dusk falling.  Lovely sky.  The odd birds still grabbing at nuts to keep them warm until morning.  New hedgehog house in position  :-*

Hurdity

« Reply #3856 on: September 25, 2017, 07:02:02 PM »

Haha CLKD - putty indeed - but I've done exactly the same thing in the past ( ie can;t see for looking!)!!

Star35 is right though - because Hasty posted on this thread (and you thanked her) but I had already posted on the Wild Birds Thread - if that was the page you were looking for - but you didn't thank me  ;D.

Sparkle - and a good thing too sometimes  ;) - but not this time eh?!

We have collected loads and loads of hazelnuts from our wild patch behind the garden - usually the squirrels (and mice) get them but not this year. Tasty they are too - but very fiddly to crack!

Hurdity x

dazned

« Reply #3857 on: September 25, 2017, 07:12:48 PM »

Oh hopefully you will have visitors moving in for the Winter CLKD ! Remember they eat cat food not milk  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #3858 on: September 25, 2017, 07:24:43 PM »

We will put a night camera close by the 'house'.  Haven't seen any signs for 3 months  :sigh: ...... we can hear them when we are on the patio at dusk, snuffling  :).  Spines rattle should 2 meet ......... and the night camera showed 2/3 here at the same time.  I feed live meal worms ;-). I don't like milk  :sick02: : why would they  ;) .  It's not something that they would find in the 'wild'.  I really really want some to stay here over Winter  8)

Anti-heron frame being made ........ said heron watching from the neighbours' roof  >:(

Taz2

« Reply #3859 on: September 25, 2017, 07:44:36 PM »

Please don't feed too many live mealworms CLKD. There are better foods for them. https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/forums/topic/what-to-feed-hedgehogs-the-danger-of-too-many-mealworms/

Hedgehog poo - such a treat!  ;D

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #3860 on: September 25, 2017, 10:03:13 PM »

Oh Labradors are empty buckets where food is concerned.  Ever Open Doors .........

dulciana

« Reply #3861 on: September 26, 2017, 01:04:59 PM »

Reminds me of when my family had a labrador and a corgi.  They had to be seen, at mealtimes.   It was a race to the end every single time, side by side, each with their faces stuck in their bowls, guzzling like the clappers and snarling with curled lips at the other all the time as they did so, in case of theft  ::).   It used to make me laugh and their height differences made it all the funnier. 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 01:11:15 PM by dulciana »

Hurdity

« Reply #3862 on: September 26, 2017, 04:58:19 PM »

Just seen our family of long-tailed tits - back in the area for the winter I think :). Calling their high-pitched sound to each other as they flitted from tree to tree - I love to see ( and hear) them!

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #3863 on: September 26, 2017, 06:03:31 PM »

My JR would guard her grub to the point that she couldn't eat and growl  ;D

Been busy protecting our pond ...........

dulciana

« Reply #3864 on: September 26, 2017, 07:04:18 PM »

My JR would guard her grub to the point that she couldn't eat and growl  ;D

;D
D.

CLKD

« Reply #3865 on: September 26, 2017, 08:13:19 PM »

......... bless her, she was a true ratter and would turn instantly if her rear end was touched. But when I cried she would lick my tears away.  Whoops, this ought to be in the 'dog breed' thread  ::)

Hedgehog houses in place.  Now we need to watch and wait  ;).  Half the pond has a new frame, against the heron  :-\.  We can't go away until the fish are safe .........

dazned

« Reply #3866 on: September 26, 2017, 08:54:52 PM »

I'm sure that you've made it heron proof now !
If you keep shining that torch on the hog house they'll never come 😁

CaroleM

« Reply #3867 on: September 26, 2017, 09:26:10 PM »

Any dog which guards it's food bowl and snarls, no matter whether the snarl is directed at another animal or a human, is an unsafe dog.  Ask any reputable dog trainer or any animal psychologist.

Taz2

« Reply #3868 on: September 26, 2017, 10:15:19 PM »

Hedgehog in my garden for the first time since the Badger incident four years ago. So lovely to see it. Hopefully there will be more.

Taz x   :)

CLKD

« Reply #3869 on: September 27, 2017, 03:31:23 PM »

;D - any JR that doesn't bark and snarl it's worth the title   .......    they are ratters.  Bred to go hunting.  I get your point and nowadays it would be more difficult, but everyone knew everyone else's dog and it's habits when I was growing up.  Those to avoid, those to give a kick with a wellie.  There were NO animal psychologists then and very few these days ......... she was what is known in the JR World as 'sharp'.  Dearly loved.  Treated with respect.

Heron barrier in place - would love to see it's face later when it comes for a look-see, it was watching during the afternoon  :o.

Did you see the hedgehog or it's poo.  Haven't seen poo for weeks  :sigh: but the camera will give an idea as to what's out and about after dark.
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 423