Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Allergies  (Read 4912 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Allergies
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2020, 12:25:28 PM »

:o

Barnacle

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2020, 12:51:46 PM »

Yes to balloons, rubber gloves and certain plasters. It was much harder when he was little, but not so bad now.

The allergy doctor who carried out his testing was surprised by the banana thing because it usually runs hand in hand with latex, but he thought it might be that because he had eaten some when he was a baby, so built up a small immunity to them.

Annie0710

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2020, 07:45:02 AM »

I'd eaten bananas my whole life but it still got me.  I've had the allergy testing plus blood tests and. The highest level for the allergies.  When I have an operation they even need to use a non latex bed in the theatre.  Even some glue on sweet wrappings and choc ices I've had reactions to ! X

margaret

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2020, 05:46:19 PM »

Hi Ladies,  I went to the chemist yesterday to get some antihistamines as I'm convinced I have hay fever one of my eyes was blood red and my face was all swollen and red, she told me to ring 111 when I got home but as I was near to my doctors I went there, I got into the reception area and the doctor rang me, to cut a long story short I told her my symptoms and she said it could be the Corona virus, I was gob smacked as I don't have the other symptoms and feel perfectly well otherwise.  I'm isolating now, I don't know what to think x

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2020, 05:49:58 PM »

Awful.  Did the GP look at you?

Who will look after you for the next 7 days?  Use the antihistamines and maybe keep a diary of symptoms?   Do you have a thermometer, as high temp is 1 of the main signs of C-19. 

Hopefully the antihistamines will ease symptoms.  Do you have salt? If so boil the kettle, allow to cool and add a tablespoon of salt into tepid water ........ and bath the eyes and face. 

margaret

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2020, 06:12:28 PM »

Hi CLKD, No I just had to tell her my symptoms over the phone, she said conjunctovitis is a virus and it could be that one but there's no way of knowing and they're not testing anyone unless they're in hospital.  I have no temperature or cough.  I have my husband at home who's 77 so I'm worried about him x

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2020, 07:24:40 PM »

A pharmacist would know conjunctivitis - itis = infection.  Many GPs are using V-19 as an excuse not to meet patients  >:( and the Pharmacists should be more aware!

Conjunctivitis - years ago it was a reportable infection and one had to stay off school it was known as 'pink eye' in my day  ::)

Let the anti-histamine do it's work and review.  Who is shopping for you etc.?

margaret

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2020, 02:01:57 PM »

Hi Ladies, my eye is still very blood shot but the puffiness under my eyes and eye lids is going down, I think the antihistamines are working fingers crossed.. I have my shopping delivered so we're ok for food
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 02:43:38 PM by margaret »

Annie0710

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2020, 10:25:28 PM »

Margaret you can buy otc antibiotic eye gel for conjunctivitis.  it's called golden eye i think.  it's very good and relieves discomfort too x

Persephone

• First Flush
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2020, 10:57:11 PM »

Re Allergies. I have developed late onset asthma, hayfever, polymorphic light eruption (uv) and some exotic fruits like kiwi all in the last 5 years, I'm 52.

Really gets me down.

Ju Ju

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2020, 10:34:40 PM »

I had loads of allergies as a child. Reacted to just about everything when tested at age 7. But not anaphylaxis thank goodness. Asthma attacks. More recently I had a severe reaction to kiwi fruit, after happily eating it for ages. I was on my own when my mouth and throat swelled up. I hovered by the phone thinking I might need help, when I felt thing relax and knew I would be ok. Felt pretty rough though. I read up on it and see kiwis are a common allergen and that if you have a reaction like I did you should avoid at all cost as the next time the reaction will more severe. Kiwi fruit is easy to avoid. It is much much harder if you are allergic to peanuts and other common foods.

After having been very ill with asthma and pneumonia about 3 years ago, I became allergic to aspergillosis mould, which is all around us, particularly around trees when damp. I hadn't heard of it before. We live very close to a wood.  :-\ Fortunately, when I am well, it just means that I feel that I am starting a cold in the evenings....slight sore throat , slight runny nose. All gone in the morning. The problem is if I get a respiratory infection ........along with asthma....not good.

Penguin99

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2020, 12:14:23 AM »

I hope I don't develop a banana allergy, I love them.
My son was diagnosed with coeliac disease at 20 ( a week before his 21st), I had really bad hayfever for years but funnily enough I found a local beekeeper and bought some honey a couple of years ago,  had a teaspoon every morning, not been anywhere near as bad since and not suffered at all yet this year.

Annie0710

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2020, 01:29:49 AM »

I loved bananas too but if you become severely allergic to something it's amazing how scary that item becomes.

X

Ju Ju

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2020, 08:48:25 AM »

I developed a severe reaction to wheat in my forties. Classed as intolerance, but it was immediate and even the tiniest amount caused a reaction. But the reaction has very much subsided by now 20 odd years on. Not enough to include in my diet and I have been advised not even to try, but at least the reaction is not debilitating just mild if I inadvertently eat some. I laugh when I'm told I have will power! No more will power than avoiding putting your hand in boiling water! Giving up smoking, drinking and drugs requires will power and courage.

jaypo

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2020, 08:55:33 AM »

Wheat with me too juju(haha my predictive is determined to call you jujutsu  ;D) and a nut intolerance,sore stomach for years,since my 20s but back then you didn't hear of all these allergies so much,so was told by dr it was IBS but since cutting out wheat,wow what a difference,feel so much better.My aunt has coeliac and she was diagnosed back in the 80s you could only get bread etc on prescription and blimey,you should've tasted it back then 🤢🤢 ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3