Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Thoughts on health insurance  (Read 2140 times)

barkbomes9

Thoughts on health insurance
« on: May 05, 2020, 03:49:58 PM »

I am leaving my current employer and loosing the nice perk of free health insurance. My new employer has no such perk.

I have searched the forum and can find a few posts of opinions on taking up the employer perk, but what is the general concensus of paying the lot yourself?

I am 37, and would consider myself fit and in excellent health. No family history of major problems. I have used my insurance in the past, only for a few minor sports injuries that I could have covered to cost for myself.

Quotes are around ?50-?80 a month. Whilst not a great deal it does make me think I may just be best paying as you go as then I could dictate my own treatment options and get a speedy diagnosis and then let the NHS deal with anything major (they appear good and speedy at the critical things).

I always run with a good ?20k emergency fund so would fall back on this if required.

Thoughts?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Thoughts on health insurance
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 04:10:28 PM »

Hi!  We were covered with DH's Insurance for which he paid tax.  It was handy in the 1990s when I had breast disease, but it didn't cover psychological or dentistry.   Had I know that when I had my running stitch removed from the wound was going to cost me a tenner, I would have pulled it out myself  ;D.

We are in a position that should push come to shove, we would pay for surgery.  Our dental treatment is pay as we go as we don't like DenPlan ..... I have trust in my dental surgeon and his team and I have difficult teeth so it's worth it for me.

Private treatment means that the patient pays for every stitch.  Pretty much like taking a pet to the Vet.. 

Consultation
X-rays
Blood tests
Surgery
Anaethestist
Ward Staff
Food ............ which continues after discharge.  I had radiation treatment which was covered at the time.

Maybe ring round to find out what private care costs these days?   Also, how do you want to spend your age, would it be better to save towards B&B and maybe nursing care.  Mum is currently in a care home and it's ?48.000 per year.  B&B, evening meal, bedding, cleaning costs, hot water, TV licence, assisted bathing ......... chiropodist and hair dresser is extra and they charge when she goes out on a trip - but I queried this as she has already paid for the lunch in the home that she hasn't eaten  :-\.  Never had a reply.

But I digress. 

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 04:10:38 PM »

Good Luck in your new job!

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 09:32:42 PM »

When I was in your position i didn't. My thinking is that for anything serious you're better off in the nhs anyway. I thought it would be more cost effective to pay for anything I needed and so far it's been ?200 in 15 years. It does enable you to be treated sooner but at 37 you'd be unlucky if your treatment cost more than the insurance.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 08:20:01 AM »

What I didn't realise when I went into Private Hospital was that emergency services aren't available so for example, if one had a heart attack one would be sent to the local Hospital as there wasn't a Physician on site.  No SHOs or Registrars to cover night duty simply a Sister and nursing staff.

Sparrow

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 10:37:35 AM »

Surprised you didn't know that CLKD.  They are treatment centres and not geared up for emergencies. 

Sparrow

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 10:40:04 AM »

I am leaving my current employer and loosing the nice perk of free health insurance. My new employer has no such perk.

I have searched the forum and can find a few posts of opinions on taking up the employer perk, but what is the general concensus of paying the lot yourself?

I am 37, and would consider myself fit and in excellent health. No family history of major problems. I have used my insurance in the past, only for a few minor sports injuries that I could have covered to cost for myself.

Quotes are around ?50-?80 a month. Whilst not a great deal it does make me think I may just be best paying as you go as then I could dictate my own treatment options and get a speedy diagnosis and then let the NHS deal with anything major (they appear good and speedy at the critical things).

I always run with a good ?20k emergency fund so would fall back on this if required.

Thoughts?

There are providers such as Benenden Health,  which are much cheaper but not so comprehensive.  Depends what your needs are risk are really.

groundhog

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 11:42:48 AM »

I could write a book on private health insurance 😞

If I had my time again I would never go private especially if I had a pot of money.  it's great for little things but not good for big things and if things go wrong, well you know my story.  It doesn't cover any kind of emergency.
I now pay bupa ?300 a month and feel trapped. My serious health issues caused by complications during hysterectomy mean I'm now classed as very complex.  I will probably be cancelling my cover soon as my main problems now cannot be treated privately.  The big advantage of private insurance is you get a consultants time and build up a relationship but again if things go badly wrong, it complicates things massively and there is no support from agencies like Pals, ombudsman etc etc
I'm probably rare . It has its place but didn't work for me. 

Sparrow

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 11:50:23 AM »

I think you have had a very bad experience with very complex problems.  Mostly though I think it works well.  We had private cover, through my husbands job, for about 35 years, and had very good treatment.

groundhog

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 12:20:37 PM »

I think you have had a very bad experience with very complex problems.  Mostly though I think it works well.  We had private cover, through my husbands job, for about 35 years, and had very good treatment.

Yes you are right.  It works well unless something goes wrong then it's not so good. 

Lyncola

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 09:21:44 AM »

From Australia and I would never have private insurance. I know a couple who pay over $6000 a year.
The thing that makes me angry with private insurance is if you get anything done you still get a bill?

My best friend daughter just had a baby she will get a bill for $4000. And her last surgery was stuff up and they said she was very lucky that her baby wasn't born stillborn.

I always gone public here (Medicare) I've had two births, thyroid operation, ovarian cyst surgery, endometriosis and Ovary cyst operation, and hysterectomy. Never had any problems.

My friend is a nurse and has worked both private and public, she said public is much better. A lot more checking each other work and signing ofF on medication.

Sparrow

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 09:41:02 AM »

That's interesting, but I don't think you can compare the two systems.

Jeepers

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 11:16:43 AM »

Hi

I've got health insurance, and all of my experiences have been good.  I had a colonoscopy last year, and a whole raft of stuff this year (CT scan, endoscopy, US scan and loads of blood tests).
The CT scan was arranged after a really horrible experience of a supposedly urgent NHS referral (not saying all of NHS is bad, but in this case it was pretty rubbish)

My premiums will probably be unaffordable next year having had all that, but  luckily, I've just taken a permie job (its actually my contract job,  they asked me to go permanent, for which I am so grateful in this current climate) which offer BUPA.

So, probably a case of swings and roundabouts, looking at the other replies :-)

Jeepers xx