Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: OCD  (Read 3716 times)

Tc

OCD
« on: April 10, 2020, 01:05:32 PM »

Hiya ladies. This is all fast becoming an OCD sufferers nightmare isnt it?

A few years back I had months of intensive  therapy for OCD of which contamination was a big factor. It was ruining my life. 

But there are so many triggers now and the old OCD switch is flicking.
I've realised I'm tipping into rituals which are becoming more protracted and complicated.

Just one example is the handwashing. Counting (another element of my OCD) while washing hands is getting longer each day. . I'm up to 2 minutes now. I'm washing more and more frequently even if I havent been out and yesterday I started drying hands and then repeating the washing again straight away.   It's a slippery slope. I know from experience next step is repeating it 3 times, then 4 and so on  until I can't move away from the sink.

I'm  not talking here of how the growing list of decontamination rules is anxiety provoking for most people.
 I'm talking about the ingrained tendency with OCD  to rituals which get longer and longer more and more involved. The repetition of things you have only just done, the starting again from scratch if you perceive an "interuption". All that stuff that switches in the brain with OCD. 

I'm in recovery. I'm not "cured". It's been an ongoing battle and i still had  a few remaining rituals but by being aware of when I'm "tipping over" and then using the tools I learned in therapy I have mostly managed to keep on the manageable side of it.  Til now.

How do we cope when most of those tools  are now not relevant. Much of it involved refraining. Which is impossible to do now if we are to follow the important rules.

Any thoughts or ideas ladies on how we can keep to the rules keeping us safe whilst avoiding  our OCD from spiralling?

Might help if we share any tips or support for those of us with OCD.

Much love and stay safe xxxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: OCD
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 04:06:32 PM »

Can U sing?

Apparently 2 verses of 3 blind mice? whilst washing.  If I find myself over washing I have a tick sheet - so that the times that I need to cleanse I tick off, if it's not at the 'correct' time, I walk away.  Knowing that my list works lessens any anxiety around hand washing.

I've never been into counting but my brain is flitting around all the while ..........  :-\.  I'm used to it I suppose but I do talk in my sleep which shows up that trait.

Also: consider how likely you really are to get any virus that might be doing the rounds?  I fear vomiting so if anyone coughs, goes quiet, turns pale :: I'm OFF - deeply afraid.  Yet around the house I'm not in any way clean  ::).  A cheetah wouldn't keep up with me!

Have you tried putting on gloves, i.e. light cotton ones, at least you won't make your hands sore!

Kmorris

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 04:49:24 PM »

Tc.... I fully understand because I've been there ....and its crept up on me again and I'm washing my hands and singing the full lyrics of "I will survive" by Gloria Gaynor...last chorus twice...I've heard a lot of people have it now....OCD has never felt so normal!
Seriously....it's horrible and driving me mad BUT ... I'm just too emotionally  tired to fight it .....once it has a hold on me I have to fight like hell to get rid of it...and therein lies the crux of it because you and you alone have to get rid of it.....so difficult. I wish I could share some tips but I don't have any...I also have some other strange rituals which I won't say what they are ...but I know it's all this anxiety causing them..... just know it's not just you... we will all end up nervous wrecks before this is over.
One thing I have started to do though, so here is a tip......watch Joe Wicks excercise on YouTube for 10 minutes...it's not too difficult ( I do the one for seniors ... it's gentle)... It really does help first thing in the morning then again mid afternoon.
xxx

Bobidy

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 04:57:23 PM »

Oh yes, I'm sure you already know this but OCD is a stress reaction as the rituals make you feel in control of something when other areas of your life are out of control. This pandemic is most certainly going to trigger it.

I made the mistake of watching a cleaning program last night and terrified myself about all the cleaning needed with covid, where to put everything, how to self isolate!!!!

Bobidy

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 05:00:43 PM »

I posted and it hasn't shown. Just the say there is a really interesting podcast with Liz Earle and Dr Lewis which mentions OCD and hormones.

https://lizearlewellbeing.com/menopause-and-anxiety-with-dr-rebecca-lewis/

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 05:42:13 PM »

Joe Wikes is too early for me  ::)

Tc

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 06:06:59 PM »

At least we know were not alone in this ladies. Thanks for the tips.  I will check out joe wicks. i have heard of him.

I originally started off  singing happy birthday twice but then got anxious that I might be  doing it too fast so I  did it twice more, .even faster cos I was anxious.  So I thought I'd better then do the count as well.  What a numpty  :)

I might try the list CLKD.  I think I  remember doing a similar thing in therapy. The trouble is with lists I find I cant stop checking them. Sounds like a bad joke but it's true. 

I have managed to dial back the increasingly scorching hot water to a more comfortable temperature. My hands were glowing red. So, its  Small victories ladies.

Much love to all. We will get through this. And talking about it helps I hope. Xxxx
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 06:08:34 PM by Tc »

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 07:01:33 PM »

I think most humans like routine?  to the point that we are unable to relax as we were designed to: up the lark and all that.  So this is such a different life style that our body rebels. 

So although routine is OK it's when we are aware that it begins to take over that we need to reinvent the wheel to suit how we feel? 

dangermouse

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 07:12:08 PM »

I am concerned about this getting out of hand.

I have worked relentlessly with some clients to get them over their OCDs and this situation is providing a lot of perceived rationality for what was, previously, irrational.

I have found that the cleaning OCDs are inherently about protecting your family (and/or yourself) from a perceived threat that is either based on previous trauma or imagined threat. It is a way to gain back control of something you feel out of control with.

In order to keep the Covid rituals, we are being repeatedly told to adopt, from going beyond what is inline with the situation, it is important to, every day, focus on what is behind the messages. Hearing several times a day that if we do not adhere to every rule 100% of the time that the virus could kill us, is there to scare us into acting. However, please focus on the use of may, can, could, might etc. which are not absolute and certain like will and would.

By adopting an 80/20 mindset, thus most of the time, will protect you and your families, and its important to know that this is enough. The warnings are extreme to try to get those who do not follow the rules to see the seriousness of what could happen.

Don't watch the news all day, maybe once a day around 10am when your stress levels are low. Rationalise everything you hear, watch for those coulds and mights. It is so important to absorb the truth and not any exaggeration. Yes, it's a more extreme situation but there is an end to it, and you can cope without relying on excessive rituals which are based on a lie that your brain (subconscious) has misinterpreted.

When you feel the urge to repeat a normal hand wash, stop, pause, repeat to yourself, 'this is enough?, and continue with your day. The more you repeat this the quicker it will become your new habit

Hope that helps!

Tc

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2020, 07:30:26 PM »

:thankyou:
Brilliant post. Great advice and  so well put.

Thank you danger mouse  xx
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 07:34:00 PM by Tc »

dangermouse

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2020, 08:47:09 PM »

Glad it helped and, honestly, the simplest instructions really can help the most complex issues!

Tc

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2020, 08:59:52 PM »

Very true dangermouse. X

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2020, 08:12:19 AM »

I have said for years that the media needs to tone down responses to events.  OK so hype sells but this is not hype, this is a real World wide pandemic. 

So far Tc you haven't symptoms?   I've had a low grade headache and felt every tired for 3-4 days so stopped the B.Blocka last night - headache gone thus far.  I haven't had a temp., cough is as normal for me, no dizziness or nausea and unusually for me, I am eating  :o  ::)

As long as I don't get dizzy due to not taking the B.Blocka I will ease my way into the day.  Make that list!?!

:thankyou: dangermouse

Kmorris

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2020, 08:32:01 AM »

Thanks Dangermouse xx

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2020, 11:58:19 AM »

I do feel stickier than usual ......... could it be the cream cakes etc. ?  :-\ that's my Quality of Life excuse anyway  ;)
Pages: [1] 2