Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23

Author Topic: Hospitals are not allowing visitors (social distancing and masks)  (Read 29708 times)

Cassie

Re: social distancing and masks
« Reply #315 on: September 21, 2020, 09:39:31 AM »

I read an interesting piece that stated if one wears a mask, it does not necessarily prevent contracting Covid, but the viral load is that much less and so the infection should be mild. They have found traces of Covid in the nasal cavaties of asymptomatic people who had contracted it whilst wearing a mask. So am hoping that mask wearing does serve a huge purpose, the article also stated that social distancing is more important than any of the other things recommended to prevent spread such as washing hands, not touching the face etc etc.
Regarding face shields they are useless in preventing contracing the virus unless they are worn with a mask as one can still inhale air through the sides and bottom of the mask. I purchased one which broke before I could even assemble it, very disappointing.  :-\

Sparrow

« Reply #316 on: September 21, 2020, 09:42:28 AM »

It's really difficult isn't it Dorothy.

I spent a lot of money on different so call 'easy breath' masks.  Eventually I bought some from John Lewis, in a pack of 6.  They are handmade fabric in different colours.  At first they felt only slightly better than the others I had tried, but after several washes, they now fit much looser around the mouth and nose and breathing is considerably better. 

I don't spend long in shops as, like you, masks are a problems for me as they cause anxiety.  These new masks have extended the time I can spend in a shop and do make life easier.

I will send you the link. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 09:49:44 AM by Shadyglade »

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #317 on: September 21, 2020, 01:09:57 PM »

Does anyone else experience pain behind they're ears wearing a mask?
My left ear, or rather the bone behind, gets really painful then gives me a headache.
I've tried various things, but still no good. Thank god I don't have to wear one everyday, or for long amounts of time.
Hats off to anyone who wears them all day long, my son and OH for starters.

You can buy visors now with glasses frames attached. Keeps them in place, and you can buy them off amazon. Don't forget to take the protective polythene off first tho, or else they're blurry. Inside and out. x

Wrensong

« Reply #318 on: September 21, 2020, 01:24:13 PM »

Boots do boxes of masks with soft loops for the ears, but they're the rather contentious disposable ones.

Sparrow

« Reply #319 on: September 21, 2020, 01:27:26 PM »

Does anyone else experience pain behind they're ears wearing a mask?
My left ear, or rather the bone behind, gets really painful then gives me a headache.
I've tried various things, but still no good. Thank god I don't have to wear one everyday, or for long amounts of time.
Hats off to anyone who wears them all day long, my son and OH for starters.

You can buy visors now with glasses frames attached. Keeps them in place, and you can buy them off amazon. Don't forget to take the protective polythene off first tho, or else they're blurry. Inside and out. x

There no good if you already wear glasses though JD.

Dorothy

« Reply #320 on: September 21, 2020, 04:13:02 PM »

It's really difficult isn't it Dorothy.

I spent a lot of money on different so call 'easy breath' masks.  Eventually I bought some from John Lewis, in a pack of 6.  They are handmade fabric in different colours.  At first they felt only slightly better than the others I had tried, but after several washes, they now fit much looser around the mouth and nose and breathing is considerably better. 

I don't spend long in shops as, like you, masks are a problems for me as they cause anxiety.  These new masks have extended the time I can spend in a shop and do make life easier.

I will send you the link.

Yes, I hunted round for advice on which masks were easiest to breathe through and got 'try different types until you find one that works for you'.  Which is all very well, but I don't have limitless money and the first two I tried were hopeless - couldn't keep them on for a minute!  The one I'm trying now is better, but I can't seem to get beyond 4 minutes without so much chest pain/nausea that it has to come off.  And I really need to be able to cope for 10 minutes for it to be any use - e.g. my OH loves going to NT gardens on his day off, and I'm happy to go with him as it's all outside and numbers are strictly controlled, so it's very safe.  BUT, you have to wear a mask if you use the loo...

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
social distancing and masks
« Reply #321 on: September 21, 2020, 04:24:54 PM »

I lift my cotton mask when there aren't people around to take a breath ;-).  I find that I cope much better even if it means leaving an area to relax for a few moments. 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 02:16:11 PM by CLKD »

Penguin99

« Reply #322 on: September 21, 2020, 05:44:09 PM »

Jillydoll - I have masks where the straps go around the back of the head, not round the ears. I use the p3 type ( got mine from screwfix) . I've never used a visor and tbh i did wonder what if any good they do as they don't seal and are open. When i had my operation last week, the anaesthetist was saying that letters will be going out again for vulnerable people, looks like he's right as it seems to be going that way. I've said all along, the government will allow the school holidays for the economy, then when the kids go back to school we'll be back in lockdown!

CLKD

« Reply #323 on: September 21, 2020, 07:13:09 PM »

Hospitals should be up and running .......... that's what the Nightingales were for?  We haven't heard much about PPE recently  :-\
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 02:16:21 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #324 on: December 23, 2020, 02:15:52 PM »

Scotland's first minister has apologised for breaching Covid rules by taking her face mask off at a wake.

The Scottish Sun has published a photograph of Nicola Sturgeon standing talking to three people at a social distance, but with her face uncovered.

She was attending a wake after the funeral of a Scottish government civil servant who died with Covid.

Ms Sturgeon had been wearing a tartan mask and is said to have taken it off briefly as she was leaving the venue.

CLKD

« Reply #325 on: October 21, 2021, 06:35:44 PM »

Bump

CLKD

Hospitals still not allowing visitors!
« Reply #326 on: June 11, 2022, 05:42:25 PM »

There are complaints about certain Health Authorities using C-19 as an excuse not to allow visitors to patients as well as limiting 1 parent for a child taken to A&E.  WTF! Surely by now the public should be allowed back to see relatives etc.?  What people don't realise is that with masks and regular hand washing, most of us are as safe as possible.  Also, the public paid for hospitals so we should be allowed back, what are the NHS trying to hide?

sheila99

Re: Hospitals are not allowing visitors (social distancing and masks)
« Reply #327 on: June 11, 2022, 08:58:21 PM »

Perhaps they know more about the level of covid in the population than we do?

ATB

« Reply #328 on: June 11, 2022, 09:03:06 PM »

Surely there’s an official government policy on this, which has been taken with the advice of experts. I understood that officially there’s no recommendation to stop visitors in hospitals anymore?

CLKD

« Reply #329 on: June 12, 2022, 08:05:51 AM »

It seems that many Health Authorities are ignoring Government suggestions about visitors.  Parents took their child to an A&E and they weren't allowed in until the mother left, the father took the child in: the child had a badly bleeding leg having been cut by glass  :-\.  They tried to press for both to be present but were threatened with the Police.

??  Even if a Unit is short staffed, this is no way to treat worried people ??
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23