Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Covid-19 "Coronavirus" - science, epidemiology and health discussion  (Read 7676 times)

Sparrow

Re: Covid-19 "Coronavirus" - science, epidemiology and health discussion
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2020, 07:29:19 PM »

Thanks BeaR,  I'm definitely up for a boost in any mechanism.

bear

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2020, 08:06:27 PM »

Thanks BeaR,  I'm definitely up for a boost in any mechanism.

Hi Shadyglade,

Absolutely, just to clarify that high levels might also be dangerous, particularly vitamin D, which is a hormone and not a vitamin, and effects might be unpredictable as we don't have a clear picture of this virus yet. Vitamin D enhances the absorption of calcium, which affects many different cell functions, so I would be cautious and make sure to take safe amounts. I wouldn't want to mess up with anything if I'm feeling well, but if you're already taking supplements they might help you in the long run and possibly in the short run as well.

Hi stellajane,

Regarding the use of chloroquine it's very important to know that this is a prescription only drug with serious side effects and patients with autoimmune conditions depend on it, many are already having difficulties to get hold of it in countries where they are sold without prescription.

Take care girls,

BeaR.

Hurdity

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2020, 08:44:49 PM »

Obviously everyone needs to ensure their diet is absolutely as good as it can be without any deficiencies at this time and if it isn't then to supplement. In addition anything you can do to improve lung function and capacity - breathing, exercise that makes you out of breath, singing etc may help you to get through the disease.

On the main thread there was discussion about what causes death from CV-19 and the cytokine storm - from overactive immune response - in the sickest patients was highlighted.

For those who are interested ( and I haven't looked in depth at this) here is some information about the very serious cytokine storm syndrome, and potential treatments with immunosuppressive drugs.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/12/21176783/coronavirus-covid-19-deaths-china-treatment-cytokine-storm-syndrome

https://www.uab.edu/news/research/item/11176-covid-19-do-not-forget-the-host-in-treating-this-disease

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/why-some-covid-19-cases-are-worse-than-others-67160

Not wanting to be too morbid or depressing hence keeping to this thread....

I don't know what the official medical/consensus view is of this but things will be moving fast on multiple fronts - development and testing of a vaccines, development and mass production of antibodies tests to determine population immunity (those who have had the virus), anti-viral drugs, and immuno-suppression drugs. They all need proper testing for safety primarily and also efficacy before they can be mass produced and released onto the market.

Hurdity x

Souris

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2020, 03:49:50 AM »

I've absolutely no idea what Breitbart is, I only read the one specific link!

I'm American. Breitbart is absolutely NOT to be trusted as a source of accurate information. it's basically propaganda and not a journalistic outlet. I wouldn't believe anything I read from them unless I also saw it on a legitimate news site.

There's so much rubbish information out there about this virus, it's upsetting.

Sparrow

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2020, 06:37:49 AM »

Thanks for the warning Souris.  There is a lot of rubbish out there fed by fear.

Take care.

Hurdity

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2020, 08:35:56 AM »

Those of you interested in some of the scientific and medical research going on might like this website: Centre for Evidence Based Medicine which "develops, promotes and disseminates better evidence for healthcare.".

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/

This is what they say at the top of the page: "The CEBM has committed its skills and expertise in evidence synthesis and dissemination to the effort against the current COVID-19 pandemic."

Lots and lots of articles eg latest:

SARS-CoV-2 viral load and the severity of COVID-19

Chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine: Current evidence for their effectiveness in treating COVID-19

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2020, 11:24:41 AM »

Here is some more information about the anti-malarial drugs being suggested and even used as an anti-viral treatment for Covid-19:

https://www.phc.ox.ac.uk/covid-19/evidence-service/reviews/chloroquine-and-hydroxychloroquine-current-evidence-for-their-effectiveness-in-treating-covid-19

"Chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine: Current evidence for their effectiveness in treating COVID-19"

Here is the verdict:

" VERDICT
Several in vitro studies report antiviral activity of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine against SARS-CoV-2. In vivo data, although promising, is currently limited to one study with considerable limitations. On the basis of the weak evidence available to date, treatment guidelines have already incorporated the usage of chloroquine/hydroxychloroquine for certain patients with COVID-19.

Further research should address the optimal dose and duration of treatment, and explore side effects and long-term outcomes.

There is a higher risk of side effects in the presence of renal and liver impairment, and there have been isolated reports of COVID-19 disease-causing renal and hepatic injury.

Over twenty in vivo clinical trials have already been registered to test the use of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine for the treatment of COVID-19.

Contraindications for the use of these drugs must be checked for each individual before treatment. Empirical evidence suggests that hydroxychloroquine has a better safety profile, and it might, therefore, be preferable to focus research efforts on this less toxic metabolite.
"

It's great that trials are taking place but whether the outcome is likely to be known in time for this current pandemic - I don't know  :-\

Hurdity x

Sparrow

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2020, 12:23:56 PM »

China was using the HIV drugs right from the beginning.

Hurdity

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2020, 04:33:07 PM »

Drugs cannot be prescribed on the basis of "seem to be succeeding". This can ONLY be determined by properly conducted randomised control trials (and there is no shortage of patients to work with) else you won't know whether any improvement is down to the drug or not? The patients who succeed may well have recovered anyway.

Also if it is approved (properly) then pharmas can go into mass production. As it is apparently the drug in question is now becoming in short supply and is apparently needed for people with lupus to control their condition. Better that the drug  is approved, licensed and manufactured properly I would say especially also if there are question marks about correct dosage and safety. OK this is a press article not a paper but gives the picture I presume:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/27/vital-drug-people-lupus-coronavirus-covid-19-link-hydroxychloroquine

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2020, 04:39:58 PM »

Here is some information (technical report) from EU (European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control)

"Discharge criteria for confirmed COVID-19 cases ? When is it safe to discharge COVID-19 cases from the hospital or end home isolation?"

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/COVID-19-Discharge-criteria.pdf

It was produced on request of an EU member state.

Since we mainly have CV-19 tests for hospital admissions (now NHS workers too) it is somewhat academic in the sense that how does anyone know whether or not they have either had the virus or are still shedding it, and if this varies if they have had it mildly? If everyone showing symptoms were to be tested ( as happened initially) then those who were positive could be asked to isolate longer perhaps rather than as now, send potentially infectious people back to work too soon.

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2020, 07:06:12 PM »

Excellent new website!

CORONAVIRUS: THE SCIENCE EXPLAINED

https://coronavirusexplained.ukri.org/en/

Produced by an organisation "UK Research and Innovation". It really is a great source of scientific information summarised and presented in an easy to understand way.

"Coronavirus: the science explained lays out the evidence and the facts about the virus, the disease, the epidemic, and its control.

Prepared by leading researchers and science writers, this series of short articles addresses questions of interest to individuals seeking information on the coronavirus outbreak, whether for personal or professional reasons.

The information in each article is correct, to our knowledge, at the date of publication. As the global research effort gathers pace, there will be many new findings about this virus, its effects and treatment, and the number of articles published on this website will grow accordingly.

Some new discoveries may alter what was previously understood. When there is new evidence that materially changes what has been published here, it will be updated accordingly. Where there are no answers yet to outstanding questions, the articles will make that clear.

This website does not publish original research; readers with a deeper interest in the science can find links to primary sources in each article.

This website also does not present policy statements, health or travel advice, or the latest statistics on coronavirus cases and deaths. Those who are seeking information on these topics should visit official websites for authoritative advice, including:
" (list of websites given)

There are four sections (at the time of writing):

Coronavirus and disease
Understand the course of infection and disease, how people become infectious and more

Understanding outbreaks
Learn about how the virus spreads through populations, who is at greater risk and why.  (ie the epidemiology)

Vaccination, diagnosis and treatment
Discover the latest progress made in diagnostic tests, treatments, and vaccines.

Public health
Learn the reasons for control measures including testing, quarantine, restricting public gatherings, and other forms of 'social distancing'.

Hurdity x

Taz2

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2020, 07:35:43 AM »

Thanks Hurdity. Information that's clear and easy to understand. I've signed up for new updates.

Taz  :thankyou:

Kathleen

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2020, 04:46:09 PM »

Hello ladies

Hurdity - thanks for all the information and science links.

Take care.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2020, 06:18:39 PM »

Prepared by leading researchers and science writers,

anyone in particular ?

Hurdity

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2020, 06:22:29 PM »

If you follow the link CLKD it will tell you