Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Progesterone vs HRT  (Read 723 times)

MissPiggy69

• First Flush
Progesterone vs HRT
« on: March 16, 2020, 09:33:58 PM »

Hello Everyone

I have been on the Progesterone only pill for about 6 years as suffered badly with endometriosis.  I am struggling with excessive weight gain and can't get rid of it.  I am now 50, have suffered hot flushes, night sweats and fatigue, so thought it might be time to stop progesterone.  Do I now need HRT?  Pointless seeing GP as all I ever get told is ? do some exercise and lose weight?, very hard when you constantly tired as I also have ME and work 4 days a week.  Any ideas would be great.  Thanks  :)

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: Progesterone vs HRT
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 07:39:12 PM »

Hi Misspiggy69.   :welcomemm:

Just wanted to welcome you and bump your post up.
Someone will give some advice soon, hang tight. 
Sorry I can't help.

Jd xx

Hurdity

Re: Progesterone vs HRT
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 08:49:25 PM »

Hi MissPiggy69

:welcomemm:

Yes definitely get fit and lose some weight - but you can still have HRT if you are menopausal and have symptoms!

Which mini pill did you take? You could possibly find a tablet HRT that contains the same type?

Also have you had blood tests to rule out other stuff. If you are very tired and overweight then your ME could be due partly to underactive thyroid? This is very badly diagnosed on NHS. Do ask for tests and ask to see the results. At least TSH and T4 should be the basic ones although ideally others too.

Here is some info on endometriosis from this website:

Endometriosis   
    There is a small risk of reactivation of endometriosis with HRT use and any recurrence of symptoms should be reported. If a hysterectomy has been performed for endometriosis, the choice of HRT use thereafter should be influenced by the extent of endometriosis at the time of the operation. Since hysterectomy often causes a premature menopause, it is often advised to take HRT until the average age of the menopause; 51 years. HRT after hysterectomy usually consists of estrogen only. However, in the presence of endometriosis, estrogen may cause stimulation of residual deposits and consideration should be given to using continuous combined (estrogen plus daily progestogen) therapy, or tibolone, though little research has been done on the effect of different types and duration of therapy. Medical treatment of endometriosis often involves ovarian suppression which, along with ovarian removal, may increase the risk of osteoporosis.
    See the Induced menopause in women with endometriosis factsheet

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/atoz.php#GlossE

If you took HRT you would need to have a continuous combined one due to the endo. How severe is it? Do you have any of it outside the womb? Have a look at the HRT preparations on the menu. Read up as much as you can on the menus about menopause and HRT as well as lifestyle and diet. Then you will be well knowledgeable so that you can go back to your GP with confidence to ask for what you want. GP should be helping you with ideas on exercise, weight, diet and lifestyle anyway! Is there a group attached to surgery you can join or in the community?

If you need any further advice do please ask!

Hurdity x