Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Vaginal Atrophy and Vagifem \ Thrush  (Read 1565 times)

sheilasue

Vaginal Atrophy and Vagifem \ Thrush
« on: March 15, 2020, 04:21:13 PM »

Hello, I am new here and hope I am doing this correctly. I am 57 and about 4 years post menopause. I had a horrible time with peri menopause and still have on going symptoms. What is making me feel really down though is vaginal atrophy. I started Vagifem last July as I had constant burning feelings when sitting down and the constant urge to pee with a feeling of dryness down below. I tried Rep!ens initially as I have always been scared to take hormones. But getting a UTI convinced me to start Vagifem. It took 3-4 months to work properly but then there was a definite improvement. I've had conflicting advice about the Vagifem though. My female doctor said I should stop after 3 months but I didn't feel I could. So I was told to drop to once a week. Then I had constant burning and a swab was sent away which confirmed thrush. I've had thrush 3 times since starting Vagifem and I am so confused. I can't tell the difference between the burning from atrophy and the burning from thrush. I also have an anal fissure to complicate matters. I've been treated for thrush but it keeps coming back. I am paying privately to see a gynaecologist in 9 days time as I just don't feel I have any quality of life. I have an anxiety disorder and have been prescribed Lexapro but I am reluctant to take it. I feel like if I could just get my vaginal issues sorted I would be able to cope. Has anyone had to give up Vagifem due to thrush issues, and if so were you able to manage your vaginal atrophy without it. I am sure this has been asked before, so I apologise if this is the case. Thank you in advance.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vaginal Atrophy and Vagifem \ Thrush
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 08:09:16 PM »

Your GP is WRONG!  what on Earth did she think once a week would do!  I could spit bricks!

There is no need to stop. Ever.  This treatment is for Life with careful management.  Change your GP?

Some ladies need two doses of Vagifem at once occasionally and every night to keep symptoms under control. 

4 me thrush was itching high up, too high to get to !  4 me vaginal atrophy was like razor blades  :o up there.  My GP prescribed 'ovestin' which really helps.

I found 'caneston' made me burn, I had to sit in a cool bath for hours  :-\. Never again. 

Is there a Nurse Practitioner at your Surgery?  Also if you have a pharmacist locally have a chat, they have private rooms.  Do read the threads on vaginal atrophy here for up-2-date stories. 

Make notes and take to the Surgery.  Ask the GP to read the vaginal atrophy threads here.  Also 'me and my menopausal vagina' written by a Member here, puts it down in black and white and should be essential reading for every medical practitioner.

You are doing fine with posting  :welcomemm:

sheilasue

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 10:07:02 AM »

Thank you for your response. The male doctor in the practice said that if you felt symptoms were increasing that it was possible to increase the Vagifem. The female doctor said twice a week was enough and that the burning was caused by thrush. I asked about cream for the outside tissues as I felt Vagifem alone wasn't enough, but they both said no, there is no cream for tnis. This is why I'm seeing a gynaecologist privately soon as I am desperate to have some quality of life again. There is a nurse in the practice but I don't think I will get any better advice there as she defers to the female doctor.
I do plan on buying the book that you have mentioned and I will look at the threads on here, thank you. I want to continue with the Vagifem at a dose that suits me, I just don't want to keep getting thrush.
I plan on taking notes with me when I see the gynaecologist so that I don't forget anything. Thanks again  :)

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 12:26:46 PM »

Morning!  Go your own way in order to get relief from this persistent condition.  As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out - skin, scalp, deep in the ears, eyes, vagina  :o ; I had itchy insteps for years, as soon as I removed socks to step into the bath every evening the feet would itch - and I would wake with one rough heel scratching the other  ::)

There are lots of products to use with VA medication: have a look at 'yes' and 'sylc' web-sites you may even get free samples ;-).  Your Practice need to update their knowledge!   Once you get sorted do get some leaflets that go with MaryJane's book, 'me and my menopausal vagina' and leave in your Surgery ;-).  And any other Surgery that you happen across  ;D

Use the 'vagifem' every night for as long as you require it.  Then alternate nights and see how the vagina feels.  Put in an early script request in case the Surgery get bolshie about it.  If they do then point them to this site and ask them to read the VA threads. Explain that this is about sharing information from people who have suffered not those in the medical profession to whom the words 'vaginal atrophy' are that; words. Without substance.

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 02:39:34 PM »

OMG sheilasue...I use Vagifem internally DAILY and estrogen cream externally every second night.  There is absolutely NO REASON ON EARTH that you should not be prescribed what you need to be comfortable.  Many of us use Vagifem more than 3 times a week and many of us have estrogen cream for external area.  My GP INSISTED I use daily due to severity.  VA is, as you know, so difficult to get under control and once you do, stick with that regime.  Find another GP who not only understands what you're going through but also knows how to treat.  I personally found Vagifem great internally but did nothing for vulva so GP prescribed cream for that purpose.  Hope you get it sorted ASAP to prevent further atrophy.

sheilasue

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 08:16:34 PM »

Thank you CLKD and Whatsupwiththis It is shocking how uninformed doctors are here. Unfortunately I live in a small town and I suspect the other doctors wouldn't be any different. I am determined to get some answers though as it is unfair to expect women to live like this. Leaving leaflets in the doctor's surgery is a great idea. I have certainly noticed the dryness elsewhere, I have to use a nasal spray from my local health food shop to help with this. I get itchy skin too. I will look up the websites mentioned. I have tried a couple of things but I fear they made things worse. I will increase the dose of Vagifem and push to get some cream for the external area. Hopefully once I get the VA stabilised then the constant thrush will subside. I live in hope.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 08:24:55 PM »

Have a look at bacterial vaginosis I think it's called - rather than thrush?  [predictive text = thrust  ::), I wish  :D ]

Let us know how you get on.

sheilasue

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 12:19:31 PM »

I have wondered about BV but I'm hoping it's not that. One more week until I see a gynaecologist, assuming it doesn't get cancelled due to the Corona Virus 🙏 I will definitely update.