Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Sore throat and health anxiety  (Read 12625 times)

sheila99

Re: Sore throat and health anxiety
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2020, 08:59:40 PM »

If you get it when you have anxiety is it possible that you're tightening muscles in your throat?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2020, 09:00:38 PM »

Over-breathing too will dry out the mouth/nose/throat ;-).

Which happens when some one is anxious.  Do you sing?

Donnadoobie

« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2020, 11:23:08 AM »

Thanks all, I am aware that my throat is tightening so I am sure I make it worse.

CLKD, I am a mouth breather so I am sure I get a dry throat too.

Donnadoobie

« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2020, 11:38:31 AM »

Sorry to bore you all with another story of what feels to be never ending throat problems but I feel this is positive

I am a member if a Facebook group called Tummy Time, which is for people wanting better digestive health.  I joined when I started buying the Just for Tummies Probiotics, as it is run by Linda Booth, who also runs the company.  It is an informative and supportive community.

Yesterday, somebody replied to my post that not all reflux is from acid and some is caused by the enzyme Pepsin, which can go higher up the digestive tract causing throat and nasal problems.  This may be interesting to others that have ongoing throat problems.  Tests for this can be done through saliva, as any pepsin found in saliva means it has been refluxed, as it cannot be found anywhere else except the stomach.  It is new thinking that this causes more silent reflux cases, as it can go undetected, as problems are often not heartburn but upper respiratory tract symptoms.  She directed me to a site, which is ultimately a site to sell their saliva test ( expensive) but has a lot of other useful info.  I have googled the symptoms of pepsin reflux and sore throat is on the list.  Interestingly, acid reflux, PPI's will not prevent pepsin reflux, these are better controlled with medications such as Gaviscon Advance, as this forms a protective barrier over the stomach contents.  Anxiety can make this worse!

I have also found an acid watch diet, which I am going to follow for the next 4 weeks and see if that makes a difference.  I will discuss this with the GP when I go on 9th March.

Not sure if this is all fact or not but it cannot hurt to give it a go, what do I have to lose?  And I feel more positive  that I am being more proactive, instead of sitting around feeling sorry for myself.

No sore throat today, just globus feeling.  Tension and post nasal drip (reflux)

Will post some links in case anyone is interested.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 11:40:36 AM by Donnadoobie »

marge

« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2020, 11:41:37 AM »

Sounds very interesting; thanks for info.  Let us know what your GP says and how you get on with the diet.

CLKD

« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2020, 11:44:17 AM »

As long as the Links aren't selling items!  It bothers me when people who run sites also sell products  :-\.

I have had post nasal drip since the mid-1970s - had indigestion since about the age of 6 as I have been anorexic.  Reflux gives me a burning sensation up the gullet, excessive saliva  :-X.  'rennies' helped for years but GP gave me omepralols?  what ever it's called  ::).  To ease the irritating clearing throat which was annoying DH  ;D

Diet can also cause indigestion.  As can eating on the go, sitting incorrectly and lots of junk food.  However, I don't indulge in burgers, my weakness is chocolate eclairs  :-X.  Which are fatty.  Lorry drivers often complain of indigestion/reflux .........  :-\

Donnadoobie

« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2020, 11:59:55 AM »

I have never really had heartburn or indigestion, which is why I have never thought it was reflux and why I have questioned why the PPI was not working.  Silent reflux will not cause heartburn.

Anyway, here are a couple of links.  It is a fairly new idea, so not too much on it but seems to be mentioned in a few medical sites. 

https://www.refluxgate.com/peter-dettmar-pepsin

https://www.uhb.nhs.uk/Downloads/pdf/PiRefluxAdviceSheet.pdf

CLKD

« Reply #67 on: February 29, 2020, 02:59:46 PM »

How's it today?

Donnadoobie

« Reply #68 on: February 29, 2020, 03:08:14 PM »

Thought it was going to be bad when I woke up but feels a little easier.  Throat is not really sore but I feel tension in my neck which makes me think it is sore, if that makes sense.

Husband made me do my throat exercises!

Thanks for asking CLKD

CLKD

« Reply #69 on: February 29, 2020, 03:11:07 PM »

All those small nerves are connected.

My nose and throat are sore but I have my gob wide open when I sleep - apparently  ;D and it hasn't got worse for weeks. 

Donnadoobie

« Reply #70 on: February 29, 2020, 04:57:52 PM »

Sucking throat sweets help, sugar free ones.  Got fisherman's Friends, Halls and Strepsils on  a cycle!

Been taking the Gaviscon after meals too.

I was so fed up this morning, I have been on a rollercoaster of anxiety attacks since May last year!

CLKD

« Reply #71 on: February 29, 2020, 04:59:32 PM »

Oh YUK to all those  ;D

Stick to 1, I believe that Strepsils  :sick02:   are recommended by GPs  ::)

marge

« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2020, 05:05:39 PM »

How are you Donnadoobie?

Donnadoobie

« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2020, 06:10:48 PM »

I am OK, thanks for asking Marge.

Sore throat comes and goes, now not sure if it is my throat or just the muscles.  Maybe a bit of both.  Sometimes I think my throat feels better and then It feels bad again.

Taking PPI and gaviscon advance,  not sure it is helping,  feel it is more to do with a post nasal drip, throat is phlegmy and slight irritation on my chest like I want to cough.  Took a Sudafed today, only to find out a couple of hours later that you should not take them if you are on beta blockers! It has reduced the phlegmy feeling slightly but scared to take another one.

Reducing acidic things and reducing dairy this week to see if that makes a difference and trying to relax as I am sure anxiety is at the root of all this.

My sister did a reflexology session for me on Sunday, found it very tense around the throat points.  It did feel better that evening and then I started working on Monday! 

Going to go back to my dancing class tonight, have not felt up to it as I was so low.  Will see how I go.

Got a doctor appointment on Monday, not sure what I am going to say. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 06:16:12 PM by Donnadoobie »

CLKD

« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2020, 06:31:54 PM »

A sore throat is internal.  Neck muscles on the outside ;-)

What do you want the GP to do?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7