Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 197416 times)

Donnadoobie

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #2340 on: July 14, 2020, 05:56:13 AM »

I don’t like wearing a mask but if it helps to bring infection rates down I am happy to do it.  I sat in a first aid course for two weeks running, 6 hours, all of us wearing a mask.  I feel claustrophobic and uncomfortable but also feel it is a public duty.

I am sure you are glad surgeons and healthcare workers are happy to feel uncomfortable for your safety.

mask wearing will not protect you but will reduce the risk of you infecting somebody else.  I see it as basic good manners and respect for other people, however uncomfortable it may be.

When I wear a mask in public:

I want it to be known that I'm educated enough to know that I could be asymptomatic and spread the virus unknowingly.

No, I don't ′′ live in fear ′′ of the virus; I just want to be part of the solution, not the problem.

I don't feel like the ′′ government is controlling me ". I feel like an adult contributing to society and I wish others would too.

The world isn't about me. It's not just about me and my comfort.

If we could all live thinking about others, the whole world would be a better place.

Wearing a mask doesn't make me weak, scared, stupid even ′′ controlled ". It makes me considerate.

When you think about how you look, how uncomfortable it is or what other people think about you, imagine someone close - a child, a father, a mother, a grandfather, an aunt or uncle - wheezing to breathe, choking In a ventilator, alone, without any family allowed on their bedside.

Ask yourself if at least you can do it for them.

If we all wore a mask, this thing could be got under control much quicker.  Imagine if in the second world war people said “ I hate being in the dark, I am going to keep my lights on in the blackout”

I saw a post on Facebook that said “If you find wearing a mask uncomfortable, you will really hate being on a ventilator!”

Donnadoobie

« Reply #2341 on: July 14, 2020, 06:01:34 AM »

on another note, you might find this both encouraging and interesting

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-53369103

Sparrow

« Reply #2342 on: July 14, 2020, 06:12:20 AM »

Donnadoobie, if I could wear a mask without the risk of a debilitating panic attack I would.  The fact that I can't means I WILL NOT shop.

It's not a question of being uncomfortable for me, or feeling a bit claustrophobic.  It's about being claustrophobic and having to deal with that.  Having dealt with it for most of my life I had pretty much got it under control, in the last few years.  However, wearing a mask reignited the fear and a don't indeed to make a habit of it.

Perhaps you should do some research on claustrophobia, as it might make you a bit more understanding. For me it's a choice between having a panic attack, or not having one.  Simple as that.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 06:26:52 AM by Shadyglade »

Sparrow

« Reply #2343 on: July 14, 2020, 06:39:06 AM »

The daft thing is I will still be able to go into a pub, coffee shop or restaurant, mask free,  but not into a chemist.  No logic.

littleminnie

« Reply #2344 on: July 14, 2020, 07:58:08 AM »

Never worn a mask so unsure of what it will be like.
The shops are definitely getting busier, not back to how they used to be but busier. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2345 on: July 14, 2020, 08:13:33 AM »

For years France has banned all face coverings ........ ? racist ? or practice to identify people?

I like your thought pattern Donnadoobie -  :thankyou:

I don't like being controlled at this stage.  How was it that the 'experts' kept changing their minds  :-\ and where will the money made in Fines go?  I can see there being a rush on masks .............  ::)

I think it will cover all outlets - as cafes etc. are in essence, 'shops'.  They trade.  They sell items.

There should be a Public Enquiry over the whole issue, going back to November 2019.

CLKD

« Reply #2346 on: July 14, 2020, 08:28:21 AM »

Yep.  Many kids go down with bugs because they aren't allowed to play in the dirt!  All Germs have the potential to kill but C-19 seems particularly virulent even now.  But masks didn't help in China! and we need to be told the truth.  Too many Cooks etc..

I have a pretty one somewhere, must dig it out ;-). I had been saving it for 'best' .......  However, staff don't have to wear them ...........  :-\

suzysunday

« Reply #2347 on: July 14, 2020, 10:48:46 AM »

There is no logic in making masks mandatory in shops but not in pubs where people spend more time talking and as pictures have shown, drinkers just acting as though there is no virus.  The inconsistency of it really annoys me. 

CLKD

« Reply #2348 on: July 14, 2020, 11:41:21 AM »

I bounced my 'mask' thread  8)

So how did AIDs emerge?  Due to over vaccination?  Our immune systems not being able to cope with the unknown?  Add to that people being mobile and it's an accident waiting to happen.  Add to that the immense social media input - true or not.  When I was a kid no doubt some died of measles or became blind but we didn't learn about them unless it was local. 

Isolation hospitals were useful too!

Hurdity

« Reply #2349 on: July 14, 2020, 11:56:29 AM »

Donnadoobie - yes!

The excess deaths count in England and Wales  over 5 year average for year to date (3rd July) is something like 54K. However it's not just about stats. It's about the nature of this disease, it's about people, how they are suffering and have suffered, how at the moment there is no cure and no vaccine, and the lasting damage to the body that may also occur.

How dare they tell us what to do? Our whole lives are governed by legislation most of which goes unchallenged. these are exceptional times.

Yes the Govt is C***, incompetent, indecisive, poor at communication etc etc, and some decisions apparently illogical but as Donnadoobie says - even if just this one measure helps to slow the spread of the virus then it is worth a bit of discomfort, and of course those who get panic attacks rather than feeling a bit claustrophobic and those with breathing problems - should be exempt.

Let's not get sidetracked with AIDS....

Hurdity x
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 04:24:16 PM by Hurdity »

Sparrow

« Reply #2350 on: July 14, 2020, 11:58:57 AM »

Yes, I may well be exempt but that won't stop abuse.  That's why I shall stay home.

CLKD

« Reply #2351 on: July 14, 2020, 12:05:41 PM »

It's not sidetracking but a meander.  No one is minimising deaths from C-19.......... we are allowed free speech without being slammed for it.  Despite Trump buying up two sets of medication a few weeks ago, the medication that is used in the NHS has a good success rate, pity I can't remember the name of the drug  ::) and is also cheaper than those that America have access to.  What we aren't seeing are the people that recover and are discharged unless they have been extremely ill.

I still wonder how Boris has bounced back  :-\ when I read that many people are struggling with breathing difficulties and fatigue after being discharged 3/4 months ago. 

Also what annoys me is that these won't be treated as clinical waste and will go into landfill.  Also that someone can impose a fine unless I can prove that I have a medical condition but that is between me and my Clinicians. 

Watching the BBC News - might give us more info.? 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:37:59 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #2352 on: July 14, 2020, 12:29:04 PM »

It's about hand washing in the main.  HOT SOAPY WATER! as well as gels after leaving a shop and don't forget to wipe the steering wheel and door handles and boot!

Which research and funded by whom ?  So many bits of research are appearing but none really believable, it will be years B4 we find out what might/not help.  Also, how long does C-19 live on surfaces ......... depends on what I read on which particular day  ::)

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #2353 on: July 14, 2020, 01:20:37 PM »

After seeing what my OH went through, and the repercussions of it now, if and when, I go out, I WILL be wearing a mask. ( I've been mulling it over for a few days)
Tbh, whether they work or not, I'd rather wear one than not.
Thing is, we don't know how this virus is going to,affect us, if we do catch it, it's like Russian roulette. So anything that helps, whether it's known to help, or psychology it helps us, it has to be a good thing.

A little tip, if the elastic hurts behind your ears, cut one end, and tie it behind your neck. I did this earlier, and  it became tighter on my face too.

Sparrow

« Reply #2354 on: July 14, 2020, 01:24:42 PM »

Yes Teresa , and then there is the sanitiser.

Go into a shop use sanitiser
Come out of a shop use sanitiser.
Load the car use sanitiser
Eat a snack out, use sanitiser before and after.

Come home wash hands
Unpack shopping, wash hands
Put shopping away, wash hands
Then wash table the shopping was unpacked onto.

Exhausting
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 179