Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 201033 times)

milly

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #225 on: February 28, 2020, 10:46:14 AM »

I agree that worrying will not change anything, but damage limitation can,
 handwashing, being cautious over crowded areas, listening to advice from people far more qualified than we are and, acting on the advice.

My 90 year old father lives with us and trying to educate him on handwashing correctly is proving time consuming, he has a daily paper, I'm asking him to wash hands after reading that....met with wide eyed disbelief, but it's a start.

I agree it may seem far less damaging than seasonal flu could be , but the crucial point here is we have a vaccine for that, and certain degree of immunitity as well, Coronavirus is an unknown virus that will infect far more people possibly, therefore the potential to kill more...my opinion only!

Sparrow

« Reply #226 on: February 28, 2020, 10:48:50 AM »

I must admit I am a hand washer anyway.  The first think I do, when I get home, is wash my hands.  Also through the day if I handle food touch the waste bins etc.,  Its just habit. 

Rosie63

« Reply #227 on: February 28, 2020, 11:12:53 AM »

We?re due to go on Mediterranean cruise next Sunday and I can't help but feel a little wary about it.  Part of me thinks don't be silly, just go and enjoy it, it will be fine, but there's another nagging voice saying I?ll be mixing with all those people on the aeroplane, airports, cruise ship 😱 Obviously we wouldn't get our money back now so I'm going to try to put it out of mind and try to enjoy our holiday, making sure I follow all the hygiene recommendations.  Just watching someone on the TV saying there's a shortage of sanitisers.......no surprises there !!!

Rosie x

Sparrow

« Reply #228 on: February 28, 2020, 11:30:46 AM »

Exactly.  We have just made the final payment on our holiday in June.  More worried about risk of cancellation because of travel restrictions than the virus.

Rosie63

« Reply #229 on: February 28, 2020, 11:47:10 AM »

Yes, you?re right ladies......we can't put our lives on hold because of ?what if's? xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #230 on: February 28, 2020, 11:50:25 AM »

ENJOY!  The Bomb might go off B4 you get to travel anyway  ;)

I wash hands all the while -  B4 touching food, after the loo, feeding the wild birds, going to the compost.  Never after reading the news paper or opening the mail though.  It has to be handled by someone carrying the virus.  It is said: 3 days to catch a cold, 3 days to endure it, 3 to pass it on ;-).  I do wonder how many people ordinarily have viruses but there ain't this much fuss made?

Also: because we vaccinate ...... people no longer build up an immunity.  We don't have the 'flu virus but we haven't had 'flu since the 1980s. 

Take enough medication in case you get a cold/flu symptoms.  ENJOY!  I am quite sure that hygiene will be stricter anyway.  At least until the media picks on something else to niggle about  ::). It will be interesting to see if you are swabbed on arrival though ;-)

CLKD

« Reply #231 on: February 28, 2020, 01:24:19 PM »

Nope.  Because I don't mix with very elderly nor very young.  My GrandMums lived to 85/6 so were born in the mid 1890s, went through all the various plaques and pestilence ......... I think a lot of the problem with modern day media is that Papers want to sell so print without proof.  When I was growing up one never heard of people dying of measles for example and we had children with polio in School which was far more of a worry for parents. 

I think the danger with a lot of viruses is pneumonia.  Which I think can be either bacterial or viral?

Rosie63

« Reply #232 on: February 28, 2020, 01:34:41 PM »

Thanks CLKD. I said to my OH that I wonder if they will take temperatures before we board !

Sparrow

« Reply #233 on: February 28, 2020, 01:38:02 PM »

People that die from flu usually develop pneumonia and they tend to be the elderly or already ill.

With any sort of infection, virus or bacteria, it's how your immune system responds that is key.  Serious complications often occur when the bodies immune response is extreme.  Therefore it's not the infection that kills but bodies response.  Both compromised and over responsive immune systems can be a problem.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #234 on: February 28, 2020, 02:47:18 PM »

I always keep a small hand sanitiser in my handbag and the glove compartment of the car.  I use it all the time.  Some public toilets are awful with blocks of slimy soap or clogged up soap dispensers. 

If I am served by somebody in a bakery or cafe and they don't wear disposable gloves I always tell them that's the end of the transaction.  Some look at me as if I'm in the wrong!

There was a famous person who I read about and he says he has never had a cold or flu in his life and he insists it's because he never shakes hands with anybody.  Unfortunately I have forgotten his name but I quite believe it.

CLKD

« Reply #235 on: February 28, 2020, 02:50:15 PM »

I remember reading similar PF.  I'm the same with servers, not so much with gloves 'cos they can carry germs but if they wipe the back of their hand under the nose or scratch their heads  ;D.  "You can put *that* in the bin, wash your hands and please start again"!  After all, I might be the local Environmental Health Officer on her day off  ;)  ;D

You could ring ahead Rosie and ask the questions - then let us know  ::).  "What precautions are you taking in the wake of the virus and to prevent sickness and other nasties B4 we board" ;-). 

Apparently someone off that cruise liner has died in Tokyo -

Rosie63

« Reply #236 on: February 28, 2020, 04:07:49 PM »

That's a very good idea CLKD.  I will do that.

Rosie x

CLKD

« Reply #237 on: February 28, 2020, 04:26:34 PM »

You can find out what precautions are planned?

Two hoots

« Reply #238 on: February 28, 2020, 04:55:55 PM »

P and O cruises have sent an email outlining their policy and offering to transfer bookings if people are concerned.

Rosie63

« Reply #239 on: February 28, 2020, 05:21:31 PM »

That's interesting Two Hoots.  Do you know if that's on all of their cruises or just affected areas?

Rosie x
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 179