Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 191799 times)

Sparrow

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2020, 09:21:44 PM »

Ah well, if the good ole BBC says it then it must be correct!

Not necessarily, but there is less chance of fake news just to sell copy.

My mantra is trust nothing but do as much research to make your own judgement.

jaycee

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2020, 10:52:57 PM »

I don't think it's harsh at all, and i'm not wishing harm on anyone, just saying that where this virus originated is one of the places that animals are blowtorched and boiled alive ,and the dogs they catch or any animal could be riddled with disease,and hopefully lessons will be learned,
There are many  videos on the internet of how those poor animals are killed and it's barbaric

Sparrow

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2020, 11:14:04 PM »

I don't think it's harsh at all, and i'm not wishing harm on anyone, just saying that where this virus originated is one of the places that animals are blowtorched and boiled alive ,and the dogs they catch or any animal could be riddled with disease,and hopefully lessons will be learned,
There are many  videos on the internet of how those poor animals are killed and it's barbaric

Well you obviously don't understand the meaning of Karma then.

yellowflower

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2020, 11:18:13 PM »

Apparently there are still people in China who eat live baby mice. It is considered a delicacy. The government have banned it and yet it still goes on. Any wonder all the worst respiratory viruses come out of asian countries. I saw some video of this "dish" being eaten and it was utterly appalling.

I do wonder if there is something we are not being told though. The death rate is similar to the flu and if what we are being told is true, the deaths occur in the elderly and and immune compromised.

Sparrow

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2020, 11:39:57 PM »

Apparently there are still people in China who eat live baby mice. It is considered a delicacy. The government have banned it and yet it still goes on. Any wonder all the worst respiratory viruses come out of asian countries. I saw some video of this "dish" being eaten and it was utterly appalling.

I do wonder if there is something we are not being told though. The death rate is similar to the flu and if what we are being told is true, the deaths occur in the elderly and and immune compromised.

Have you 'fact checked' this weird mice story Yellowflower. Even videos can be made to deceive.

ElkWarning

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2020, 08:23:26 AM »

To clarify, on campus, not registered with either university, but on their campuses.

Re: student numbers in Brighton, a difficulty the Council has is that it can only produce its total number of students based on electoral roll returns.  I wonder how many Chinese students complete the electoral roll forms, given that they're not allowed to vote here anyway.

Shady, I suggest if you want an accurate number, you make a Freedom of Information Request to the two private colleges operating out of the universities campuses.  My information is based on what the trade unions on those campuses think is happening (obviously, if you hide student numbers core staff are put under much more strain), combined with information from the NHS (which is sensitive and, therefore, confidential).

Headline article from the Guardian today (who I don't believe are the gutter press) 'Coronavirus evacuations begin as China cases outstrip Sars'.  In terms of global migration, the picture has really changed since SARS (2002) 'In 2007-2008, there were 43,530 Chinese students in the UK, according to the Higher Education Statistics Agency (Hesa). Ten years later the total went up to 106,530, of which 60,460 were postgraduate students and 46,070 undergraduates' (and obviously this figure doesn't include those in the private colleges doing pathway courses, or the joint initiatives between institutions here and those in mainland China).

Re:  something we're not being told.  Forgetting for a moment that one of the contributing problems is that the virus mutates so quickly that it's makes it more difficult to produce a vaccine, yes, the elephant in the room is how this is going to affect the world economy.  I really don't know the figures, but China is one of the global economic engines.  It's now, effectively, shut for business, both in terms of production and consumption, and no one knows for how long.  The stock market is already beginning to slide.  Obviously, in time, it will recover, but it depends how far it slides as to what (if any) knock on effects there are.

Re:  the animal thing, we're not exactly covered in glory here either, e.g. live calf exports.

Sparrow

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2020, 08:45:53 AM »

Sorry but you still haven't explained the 10,000 number.  Even a generous estimate of Chinese students at 10%, that would make the total number of all students in Brighton at 100,000.  As the entire Brighton & Hove Population is around 270,000 That would make one in three residents a student.

That is just not believable.

You should read the Guardian article 'What is Coronavirus and how worried should we be'.  It puts it in context perfectly.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 09:27:15 AM by Shadyglade »

Sparrow

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2020, 09:45:15 AM »

Just to put the Coronavirus into context.

There are around 400,000 deaths from flu globally each year.

The average in the UK is around 600 deaths

In bad years eg. 2013/14, that grew to about 13,000 deaths.

Flu deaths average about 1% of those infected.

At the moment Coronavirus is averaging about 3% death rate, BUT that is regarded as an over estimate as there are many unreported infections.

Most of those infected have a mild to moderate illness.

Many are believed to be asymptomatic, meaning no symptoms even though infected.

Those that do die are elderly and/or have other underlying health issues.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2020, 09:52:38 AM »

The latter is what we haven't been told enough times but that won't sell papers.  As for figures, well it does depend on what is published, old the figures are etc.. 

This is about containment not argument ;-). Whilst our Government screams that everyone should have a 'flu vaccine however much it might be lacking the current strain, I haven't seen anyone here suggesting how we protect ourselves other than regular hand washing and when necessary, avoiding crowded places.

China has one of the worst health and safety histories World Wide.  They think that they can ride rough shod over the rest of us by continuing to build and pollute.  Now they believe that they can build a new Hospital in a week  :o.  Where will the builders come from, electricians, H&S Teams; equipment, staff ........... how many will die during the build?  Will the Chinese tell the rest?

We need to take care of ourselves.  If 1 gets a cold then 1 stays off work that should be common sense anyway!  One does not get out of bed with 'flu: been there, couldn't  >:(

Sparrow

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2020, 10:18:08 AM »

China has one of the worst health and safety histories World Wide.  They think that they can ride rough shod over the rest of us by continuing to build and pollute.

Umm, health and safey? 

This week in the UK news we have Glenfell and the blood contamination scandal. 

As for pollution.  Yes, China is a heavy polluter.  However, if you take their emissions per head of population, it is just a fraction of the USA.

I would recommend a very good book. FACTFULLNESS,  By Hans Rosling.  He was the world accepted expert on numbers and statistics, and how they are misinterpreted.   

jaycee

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2020, 10:47:27 AM »

*Shadyglade* have you seen any of these videos, and about the big rescues of these poor animals
Once you have seen them you can't unsee them
I still have it etched in my brain a poor dog being skinned alive
A video too about crocodiles being skinned alive foe Louis Vuitton handbags
They have their throats cut and a metal pipe rammed down their throat while they are squirming
A dog being blowtorched while still alive
I wouldn't buy anything from China if i could help it ,
Unfortunately there are lots of things made in China these days
This virus was bound to happen one day, taking any animal off the streets, which  could be riddled with disease
There are Chinese activists trying to stop this going on,so not tarring all Chinese with the same brush
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 02:20:58 PM by jaycee »

Sparrow

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2020, 11:03:06 AM »

Actually I did try and look at some of those videos.  Unfortunately my online security would not let me open or download.

Enough said.

China is a HUGE country.  You can't blame the whole population for the actions of some. 

Personally I am much more concerned about the human rights abuses there.  But we all have our own priorities I suppose.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 11:05:18 AM by Shadyglade »

CLKD

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2020, 02:02:47 PM »

I think too that we should all be aware of lack of hygiene in our eateries across the UK.  I sent a knife back at Costa earlier, it was filthy.  Hadn't seen hot water since it was made.  Probably.  I hate the way cutlery is put into dishwashers then left to drain with smears  >:(

jaycee

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2020, 03:44:31 PM »

shadyglade,these videos are often on facebook, by the Humane society, and other animal activists, people who rescue especially the dogs and cats
I do know what karma means, and yes i dov believe this virus is just that, but innocent people are suffering too, and i wouldn't wish it on them
I worded it wrong before, this virus was bound to happen at some point,as i said ,animals dragged in off the street.especially strays could be carrying any disease
I have no idea why you couldn't get them on youtube,i have never tried,

CLKD

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2020, 04:13:33 PM »

jaycee - another thread perhaps as it's a bit of a meander ?  ;)

By not mixing though don't we open ourselves up to more Germs as we don't build up resistance?  Years ago kids were mixed with chickenpox, measles etc..  We had parties  ::) so that within 4-5 weeks the virus would be gone.  There wasn't the media hype to spread alarm, Mums got on with treatment though I don't think that chamomile lotion [pink] was the best choice, as it dried then itched worse!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 179