Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 192966 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1590 on: April 21, 2020, 04:01:25 PM »

What's that in real money  :-\ .........

Sparrow

« Reply #1591 on: April 21, 2020, 04:03:24 PM »

Hand gel needs to be 60%.

Vodka is 80% proof, which is 40% alcohol.

Katejo

« Reply #1592 on: April 21, 2020, 04:04:03 PM »

What's that in real money  :-\ .........
    Only slightly below 50 pounds

CLKD

« Reply #1593 on: April 21, 2020, 04:06:23 PM »

You'd know then  ;) - I love the bottles displayed in the supermarket but would never buy vodka or gin  ;D

Tnx Katejo ........   ? have become ? for months  >:( ........ makes me  :madeyes:  :D

We rarely spend less than ?30.00 and over ?300.00 every 4 months when we do a Big Shop . 

CLKD

« Reply #1594 on: April 21, 2020, 05:17:54 PM »

Yep I was spitting bricks.  For 4 weeks UK producers have been telling reporters on various news channels, that they have let Matt Hancock know that they have plenty of facility to make PPE but were waiting for responses.  Of course, these things offered to the NHS have to be passed by X, Y, Z ? ? ?  but this is a State of Emergency  :-\.  Also deliveries from China offering PPE Aprons have been a mix of aprons, masks that aren't appropriate etc.. 

Didn't she think of that B4 buying them  ;D

Waitrose this morning: a man with a clicker in and a clicker out ....... DH and I had a trolley each and there are marks on the floors reminding shoppers to keep their distance.  Hopefully this will continue.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 05:20:34 PM by CLKD »

Foxylady

« Reply #1595 on: April 21, 2020, 05:20:07 PM »

Bridge of Allan is lovely, where the footballers live!! We always stop there for a fish tea at The Allan Water, its one of the best chippies & they do fab ice creams too. x

CLKD

« Reply #1596 on: April 21, 2020, 05:43:12 PM »

A businessman has been left angry after his offer of 450 visors a day to the NHS has apparently been ignored.

Paul Dodd says he has spent ?8,000 on materials and wages for the work but after four weeks has been forced to stop.

Mr Dodd, owner of Weaver Dane and Trade in Cheshire, said: "I knew there was a risk buying materials but I thought I was doing the right thing by helping."

The government said it was "rapidly working through 8,000 offers".

NHS workers are concerned about supplies, and have been asked to consider reusing some equipment.

Katejo

« Reply #1597 on: April 21, 2020, 05:57:17 PM »

Katejo - people just have no idea how heavy a single bag of shopping can be if you're on foot!

Lots of people in my area don't have cars so are regular daily shoppers. The only change now is that they're using the local shops instead of going on the bus into town. It's the only way you can do it, you can only carry what you can carry and no-one can get delivery slots any more.

We shop a little every day. OH goes for a walk and fetches his newspaper and a few supplies (same shop) in the morning, then I go out in the afternoon.

I can't imagine carrying bags to the value of 50 quid Katejo - my ?15 bag today was heavy enough with a few canned goods and cleaning materials.
Last time I did shopping,  I spent ?38, more than usual.  I could just manage to carry that home. It was more bulky than heavy.

suzysunday

« Reply #1598 on: April 21, 2020, 06:22:43 PM »

Yes stellajane, we have no car and carrying shopping is hard.  There's no way I could shop once s week like the government recommend.  They haven't a clue.

sheila99

« Reply #1599 on: April 21, 2020, 09:15:48 PM »

Use a shopping trolley? As long as you don't have steps.

Taz2

« Reply #1600 on: April 21, 2020, 09:31:31 PM »

Katejo - people just have no idea how heavy a single bag of shopping can be if you're on foot!

Lots of people in my area don't have cars so are regular daily shoppers. The only change now is that they're using the local shops instead of going on the bus into town. It's the only way you can do it, you can only carry what you can carry and no-one can get delivery slots any more.

Is the delivery slot problem worse in different areas do we know? We are able to get them here (South) but may have to wait a week or so. Also we have quite a good community feel in our road (since the virus hit) where when someone does get a slot they ask if anyone needs anything which they might not have been able to get on their own order. Our local bakery has begun to deliver as well instead of supplying the hotels etc. which used to take up their evening deliveries. Again we get up a bulk order every week for friends and neighbours. It takes a bit of sorting out (my partner loves a spreadsheet luckily  ;D) but as with a lot of the smaller businesses you have to have a minimum order and a few of my older neighbours live alone so don't need much. I love bakery day  ;D

Taz x 

Salad

« Reply #1601 on: April 21, 2020, 09:50:39 PM »

Is the delivery slot problem worse in different areas do we know? We are able to get them here (South) but may have to wait a week or so. Also we have quite a good community feel in our road (since the virus hit) where when someone does get a slot they ask if anyone needs anything which they might not have been able to get on their own order. Our local bakery has begun to deliver as well instead of supplying the hotels etc. which used to take up their evening deliveries. Again we get up a bulk order every week for friends and neighbours. It takes a bit of sorting out (my partner loves a spreadsheet luckily  ;D) but as with a lot of the smaller businesses you have to have a minimum order and a few of my older neighbours live alone so don't need much. I love bakery day  ;D
 x 
I've got a shopping slot for the last two weeks, although I'm also in the south.
I think timing plays a part. I went online Sunday lunchtime and booked for the following day, I told my friend about it, she'd been trying for days and only managed to get a delivery in 3 weeks time.
I am a convert though, I think I might continue with a delivery after all this settles down  :)

Ju Ju

« Reply #1602 on: April 21, 2020, 11:07:10 PM »

This evening I had a text from my surgery saying that although my condition doesn't fall into the government groups required to shield that this shouldn't prevent me from shielding as my medical history puts me at higher risk. Well I had figured that out right at the beginning and registered online as vulnerable with the government website and get priority shopping delivery slots. I've been very careful and my circumstances makes this fairly easy. But my daughter pointed out that it was just as well that I was retired and wasn't a key worker or still expected to work by an unsympathetic boss. There must be people who have to work who are in this position. What do they do? This is advice, not expectation.

CLKD

« Reply #1603 on: April 22, 2020, 08:28:36 AM »

Many Postal workers have walked out due to close working conditions .......

Good of the Surgery to let you know in good time ?! ?

Two hoots

« Reply #1604 on: April 22, 2020, 09:38:16 AM »

I'm in south west Wales and it's very difficult to get a delivery slot, with Adsa and Morrisons the wait if you can get one is 8 days and none available with Tesco, this applies to click and collect as well as delivery.

If the delivery slots are full because people who really need are getting deliveries I'm happy to go to my local supermarket once a week  :)
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 179