Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 196843 times)

Foxylady

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1575 on: April 20, 2020, 05:41:30 PM »

I enjoyed my day at work, a rest from housework!!! ;D ;D

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #1576 on: April 20, 2020, 06:38:51 PM »

Can't say I'm enjoying life just now,out for shopping once a week,don't get me wrong, I know how lucky I am to have a big old garden and a nice walk from my home but I want to go to Scotland,or sit outside a pub with a drink,see friends,go shopping,I'm now officially bored

Ditto here as well Jaypo, getting so fed up, finding it really hard trying to keep my spirits up, hate seeing anyone when I'm out walking - but social anxiety is hanging around at times. Don't like to feel selfish about it all as there are so many people putting their lives on the line :(

Taz2

« Reply #1577 on: April 20, 2020, 06:54:50 PM »

I'm settling into it now and find it much less stressful than the first few weeks. I really miss seeing my sons and my job though. I hope they don't unlock us too soon as the longer we can avoid catching it the better as they seem to be finding out things all the time in terms of treatment. It's good we can now do a short drive to exercise as that means I can visit my favourite local walk again. Upside is I've saved a fortune on petrol and the pub!

Sorry about your dog Jaypo. My vet is still treating animals for some things. My cat has to have a twice monthly antibiotic injection which he's still able to do. He behaved quite well considering I obviously couldn't go into the building with him  :-\

Taz x

Tc

« Reply #1578 on: April 20, 2020, 06:59:48 PM »

Jaypo. I've got same with my elderly cat. I cant cut her claws. And she gets mats in her fur. I managed to get some clippers on line but it's very slow progress. She attacks the clippers, not me. It's as though it's got nothing to do with me.. it's just those darn clippers she hates. I cant hold her down by scruff shea got arthritis in her back and I'm so scared of hurting her. But it's dangerous her trying to bite the clippers.

Mum said today a vet on TV said that they are seeing dogs. You have to tie the dog outside and go back to your car. 

Taz. I think my cat would be realy traumatised if I cant go in. She freezes with fear in there. She stands on the table and I stand near and she buries her head into me the whole time. Shes 19 .

Xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #1579 on: April 20, 2020, 07:05:14 PM »

What about PetsAtHome vets.?  This becomes a welfare issue and Vets should not be put off cutting some nails! they have more PPE than the NHS?  I wonder what they are charging as they are in effect, 'working from home'  :-\ and after hours and Sunday prices are horrendous but they have to offer a 24/7 service  :(

I think that boredom will go away.  I had a couple of days last week when I lacked motivation ...... it's not War.  We know where are neighbours/relatives are, on the whole.  We have electricity, internet, running water, medication ....... plenty of kids schooling for those really, really bored!

CLKD

« Reply #1580 on: April 20, 2020, 07:10:08 PM »

;D ...... does he know yet  :D

Years ago there were screens in the post office so why not in shops etc.?  Shouldn't take long to knock up something suitable  :-\ that can be wiped either side. 

sheila99

« Reply #1581 on: April 20, 2020, 07:37:09 PM »

I know some people are suffering but I'm hoping we'll stay on lock down long enough that I get a chance to get bored too. Just brought in the last lot for lambing so that will take me to the end of this lock down period. I'm afraid I'm enjoying it too - listening to bird song instead of the drone of rush hour traffic, cleaner air, less pollution, quiet roads, the sheep haven't turned red from airoplanes dumping fuel over our land before landing. It's been the best thing for climate change.

Foxylady

« Reply #1582 on: April 20, 2020, 07:37:43 PM »

I've PM you Jaypo re house hunting in bonny Scotland!!  ;) x

CLKD

« Reply #1583 on: April 21, 2020, 08:02:15 AM »

>wave< sheila .......... I hope that lock down will continue until the NHS has space for patients.  When the rate of deaths halts.  Then don't all rush out at once  :o and we must keep to cleansing everything that we touch.

CLKD

« Reply #1584 on: April 21, 2020, 08:26:29 AM »

Washing with hot soapy water or wiping down with meths will kill the virus.  No one yet knows how long it's likely to live when out and about nor which surfaces it clings to or for how long  ;). We will all feel better if we keep on wiping down  8)

Hurdity

« Reply #1585 on: April 21, 2020, 08:45:35 AM »

Haven't been on here for a day so a bit behind  ::)

However....the government guidance on social distancing has not changed since it was first issued. The overall message to EVERYONE is to stay home protect NHS save lives as we all know. "Stay home" is a blanket term to deliver the overall message that we are all supposed to stay home MOST of the time, and to reduce the amount of time we leave the house for specified purposes which are listed ie exercise shopping etc. Like I mentioned yesterday. The only people that have to actually stay at home completely and not leave their house/garden, are those who are isolating (with virus or household members with virus) or the shielded group (various defined very serious conditions). ALL over 70s together with other people of all ages with particular conditions (also listed) are supposed to heed the social distancing guidelines more strictly which means when they go out  presumably not go to crowded supermarkets or go during their allocated hours. Maybe exercise away from crowded parks etc It has  NEVER been recommended that over 70's as a whole have to stay in completely. Here are the guidelines:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people/guidance-on-social-distancing-for-everyone-in-the-uk-and-protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

I'm not sure where the confusion lies if any? Probably the use of the term "Stay Home" by the government which of course is not literal ie we are (mostly) not trapped in our homes completely until lockdown ends!

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #1586 on: April 21, 2020, 08:54:50 AM »

As far as I know soapy water will not inactivate the virus but alcohol will yes. There are studies showing how long it survives on different surfaces but the odd virus particle lurking on a food package is not a problem especially if it;s suitting on a shlef for a while and as long as you wash your hands after touching anything that someone else will have touched. The washing and scrubbing with soap removes the virus from your hands. The same with wiping down surfaces with anti-bac etc. It doesn't deactivate the virus but will  (help to) remove it from the surfaces.

Here is one study/article but ther are others:
https://www.sciencealert.com/how-long-does-coronavirus-last-on-surfaces

News article:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/apr/04/how-long-does-coronavirus-live-on-different-surfaces

I haven't had a chance to be bored once especially now the gardening season is well under way. So much to do each day (I know I'm lucky to have a garden but chose to as well). Also cooking. Have tried lots of different things. made my own sourdough starter last week and made my first sourdough loaf yesterday. Shopping to do every 10 days and then next day deliver to and visit elderly relative to do any jobs outside, check they're OK etc. Lots of dramas on TC later in the evening. Music starmes to watch on TV, dramas to watch, languages to learn, people to e-mail and chat to. Family Zoom. produce to cook and freeze (squashes and chard). Never mind housework ( now that would be boring!). Also sitting in the porch in the sun every day listening to the daily briefing (what fun eh!!!)??!!

Hurdity x

Jeepers

« Reply #1587 on: April 21, 2020, 01:03:50 PM »

Hi

My understanding, from reading a lot, is that it is the surfectant in soap which causes the virus to break down.  The virus has a fatty coating, and the soap can break this down, and therefore the virus apart and thus deactives it.

So soapy water will do the job. There was an interesting article on the BBC which showed that wiping your phone\tablet down with soap, then with a micro fibre cloth was really good at removing pathogens ( the microbiologist demonstrating used some gadget thing to measure before and after)

Jeepers xx
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 04:09:32 PM by Jeepers »

CLKD

« Reply #1588 on: April 21, 2020, 03:56:27 PM »

:thankyou: jeepers  :medal:  - my husband researched this thoroughly within the 1st week of 'how to clean' advice appeared and that is exactly what he found to be enough.   Essentially the virus gets drowned.  I do add bleach when doing the handles of the council bins after they have been emptied and once I had been round handles etc with a bleach mix, there's 2 of us here so hot soapy water has done adequately.

Alcohol has to be over 85% therefore vodka won't do  ;D.  Meths wiped on evaporates and does the job! 

Why return loo rolls  :-\ ......... they won't go to waste  ;D

Katejo

« Reply #1589 on: April 21, 2020, 04:00:43 PM »

i saw a clip from the Press in Italy this morning about a new food shopping restriction. Apparently many were going shopping too often as an excuse to get out of the house when exercise isn't allowed. Some shops are saying that customers must spend a minimum of 50 Euros each time they go (however many people they are buying for). I simply couldn't carry that much home, even with a trolley. I never go over ?40 at a time and rarely over ?30.   

Why is this changing my pound signs to question marks ?  ;D
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 04:03:17 PM by Katejo »
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 179