Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 205730 times)

Jeepers

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1560 on: April 20, 2020, 06:35:02 AM »

Hi blot

I think you are right.  I haven't seem my bf for four weeks now, but he tells me that his friends are constantly asking him if we have sneaked off to see each other.  One of my nieces meets her friend every day, despite my sister saying that if she (my sister) gets it, she doubts she would recover being a smoker.  So selfish.

My younger daughters bf keeps arguing with my daughter, because he wants to come and see her, and my daughter keeps telling him he can't.  Again, he is in more danger from her than the other way round, as she has to still attend work as a keyworker.

I just don't get it. The more we stick to things, the sooner this will be over?

Jeepers xx

Ju Ju

« Reply #1561 on: April 20, 2020, 07:17:43 AM »

And yet there are reports of fit young twenty somethings dying. Maybe much more of this should be highlighted in news reports.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #1562 on: April 20, 2020, 08:06:05 AM »

jaypo - use your teeth?  Or shout.  Loudly!  Keep your distance?

I see that an 84 auxiliary Nurse has died after continuing to work in the Oxford region  :-\ yet the over 70s are being told that they have 2 continue to isolate  :-\

My friend meets her boyfriend twice a week for a walk and catch up - at a distance.  She's 32.  Sensible.  One shouldn't tar every one with the same brush?

Any news of Boris ?

Sparrow

« Reply #1563 on: April 20, 2020, 08:18:44 AM »

Hurdity

« Reply #1564 on: April 20, 2020, 08:51:32 AM »

Over 70s do not have to isolate any more than anyone else unless they have symptoms or are in the group of especially vulnerable people of all ages with conditions that mean they have to be shielded and actually isolate from the world for 12 weeks ( though not the rest of their household). The over 70s and those with certian conditions ie the second tier of vulnerability have to be especially vigilant about social distancing. In the sad case of the auxiliary nurse I agree she should probably not have been working as that is putting herself more in danger than most ordinary people, but she didn't need to actually isolate. It is important to undrstand what is meant by the different requirements, which are conufsing and therefore bandied about incorrectly in the media sometimes!

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #1565 on: April 20, 2020, 10:49:11 AM »

I went back to the articles that I read over the weekend  :-\ ....... those over 70 with underlying conditions, even though healthy, have been told to stay indoors [shield] for another 3 weeks and then some.  [Sat Telegraph] - Hunter Davis.

Most of the over 70s are fit and healthy!  From the start of the UK advice, over 70s have been told to isolate.  That is why charities had to shut their shops, because healthy volunteers are 65+. 

I feel that the Health Authority that allowed this auxiliary nurse to continue working against all government guidelines should face a Manslaughter Charge ........ however good she might have been.  The decision to allow her to continue working when people have been told not to is in my opinion negligent.  She may be alive now ..........  >:(
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 11:51:36 AM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #1566 on: April 20, 2020, 11:50:19 AM »

If they are all of the same family so they would be together anyway: they may have decided to live together in order to keep the business viable?  if they are healthy: if they are observing the current safety requirements ..........  if they are observing social distancing when delivering?  R they observing the wiping down often advice?

If you are really worried you can contact your local authority environmental health dept - the local pubs here had to get a chance of specification or something in order to change from an over the counter pub/restaurant to a take away facility.  It's being used every day even by those that don't go the pub often.   

CLKD

« Reply #1567 on: April 20, 2020, 01:03:02 PM »

Teresa - good on her!  the baby must come first  :-*

I think I'm on a different Planet - again today on the BBC 1.00 clock News, 'over 70s must stay inside' ........  :-\.  Nothing about isolation or shielding, nothing about previous health conditions ""over 70s must stay inside" ....... DH and I are going to B 65 for years and years and .......  ;)

Even the Police on Westminster Bridge last Thursday - clapping : together, shoulder to shoulder  :-\

Two hoots

« Reply #1568 on: April 20, 2020, 02:54:48 PM »

Will we get to a point when it's just like seasonal flu, smaller numbers will catch. A vaccine will be developed sometime and added to the annual flue jab.

Well that's what I think might happen  :)

Sparrow

« Reply #1569 on: April 20, 2020, 03:23:58 PM »

I have done some research on other recent pandemics, and one that stands out is the 1968/9 Hong Kong flu.  It killed 80,000 in the UK alone, and this was at a time when our population level was 55 million.

I was 12/13 years old at the time and can remember nothing about it.  What I have learnt is that it lost a lot of its potency and is now one of the seasonal flus included in the yearly vacation.

I think we will have to live with it but hopefully it will not be at the same crisis level as now.

CLKD

« Reply #1570 on: April 20, 2020, 03:27:57 PM »

It's been a shock to us all.  Not since TB and Polio took over the nations health has there been such a problem.  That Spanish 'flu begin in the US and was transported by Service personnel.    :-\

Rather than telling everyone to stay in, shouldn't the fashion industry be designing suitable covering which can be washed and dried easily? 

I think you're on the ball stellajane ......... don't know how long Two Hoots it will take to get to a seasonal situation as this is continuing due to having new targets to get a grip into.  Some may have had this germ twice already, some aren't showing antibodies ...... I think it may be a couple of years B4 we get any sense of how this Virus might travel. 

Which is why those over 70 should be able to make an adult decision.  The current lockdown is to protect the NHS Staff as as predicted, have been over-whelmed by sheer numbers.  How many of those 'special Nightingale units' have been used to date?  I hope that these will remain in situ until the situation seems to stabilise.

I remember Hong Kong 'flu and of course, we didn't have the media 24/7 coverage. 

CLKD

« Reply #1571 on: April 20, 2020, 03:30:23 PM »

I'm enjoying Life.  It's those without gardens or families I feel sorry for.  Also those on the front line watching people die in huge numbers.

Sparrow

« Reply #1572 on: April 20, 2020, 03:34:11 PM »

Ditto.

CLKD

« Reply #1573 on: April 20, 2020, 03:35:51 PM »

Bored - surely you have windows to clean?

Yep there are things that I would like to resume but can't.  I have a loving husband, a large garden, a house that requires cleaning [? jaypo ?] and plenty to read.  Occaionslly I get a feeling of unreality and realise it's not like C.mas, leading up to a big weekend then gone  :-\ if that makes sense.  At least we still have the internet!

CLKD

« Reply #1574 on: April 20, 2020, 05:16:24 PM »

Oh housework isn't enjoyable.  Although I feel good when I've done any [except ironing]  ::)
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 179