Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Vagifem advice needed  (Read 2504 times)

Mrs Bennet

Vagifem advice needed
« on: December 06, 2019, 10:28:25 PM »

Hi ladies ......could the Vagifem be causing my burning feeling?.......i just can't seem to get to grips with any sort of regime.....have used more pessaries this week as having a bad flare.....now have extreme burning on the outside  around vaginal entrance the pessaries don't seem to absorb properly......i was told by my GP to stop Vagifem and use Ovestin but found it messy so reverted back to the Vagifem in the hope i would be able to tolerate it......sadly not the case......i am using dermavate also....
Any advice would be gratefully received   Xx

Sammiejane

Re: Vagifem advice needed
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 12:03:35 AM »

hi

how often do you use the vagifem ?

i was using ovestin cream twice a week and was great for 8 months or so but then developed this burning all of sudden it was on fire i noticed it was around the time of using ovestin so i went gp and she gave me a peasant for thrush incase it was that as hard to tell with residue of cream i used that and have reduced my ovestin to once a week and burning has gone touch wood ! i also take estrogel and i think this help to for VA to some degree and i think that combined with the ovestin was to much and making me to wet down there in my knickers it seems now to be better if i start getting to dry will increase it !

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 08:52:09 AM »

Hi Sammiejane......i was on twice weekly but started getting feelings of  needing a pee constantly so i upped does to 3......I don't tolerate meds that well so i do think its the  vagifem which is irritating 🙄...... i am letting things settle for a couple of days and then start using the ovestin and see if that helps.....really is so miserable ....
sitting down is really difficult  at the  moment....I don't think it's thrush as no itching just a burning 😔.....xx

Joaniepat

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 10:11:45 AM »

Hi Sammiejane......i was on twice weekly but started getting feelings of  needing a pee constantly so i upped does to 3......I don't tolerate meds that well so i do think its the  vagifem which is irritating 🙄...... i am letting things settle for a couple of days and then start using the ovestin and see if that helps.....really is so miserable ....
sitting down is really difficult  at the  moment....I don't think it's thrush as no itching just a burning 😔.....xx

Mrs Bennet, are you using any sort of vaginal moisturiser?

JP x

suzysunday

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 11:12:21 AM »

Hi Mrs Bennett, you've been suffering for ages now, I really feel for you.  I don't know what to advise.  I just know how depressing this VA is and you never know when it will flare up.  I use ovestin alternate nights and Boots own vaginal moisturiser the other and I get by on that, no other hrt.  Still have some problems and always worry about it.  Wishing you fast improvement and sending love ♥️

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 01:48:14 PM »

Hi Mrs. B....I went thru the exact same thing.  It seemed the vagifem was the root cause of the stinging, etc. but my GP insisted I use it daily.  After 4 months of daily use, I'm finally getting to a point of feeling comfortable.  My GP said to use it DAILY and so far, so good.  I am deep into menopause (15 years) so my GP said it could take a full year before symptom free.  Perhaps you could speak with your GP and see if daily use might be better for you.  This VA is dreadful and it takes constant maintenance.  Good luck and hope you get relief soon.

Sammiejane

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 05:26:53 PM »

mrs bennett

see i had the same bladder irritation feeling of not emptying properly at times other times i would urinate a lot in one day then the burning but i've reduced to once a week i just keep an eye on it as my meno clinic advised can use up to 3 times a week or once and can also do reload dose of every day for two weeks by not advised to use daily long term i guess if i was on no other hrt then i may need more often but everyone is different it may be worth being checked for thrush as vaginally estrogens and systemic can cause thrush and if the PH balance had been upset which is normally the case with VA bringing that back in range can bring out infection that may of already been present ! i had no itching just burning but so far so good !

shrosphirelass

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 07:29:29 PM »

Mrs Bennett, Sounds very similar experience to mine. I went on vagifem for dryness a few months ago, no other bad VA symptoms. After a couple of weeks I got that constant wanting to pee feeling and then the most horrendus burning. It was pure agony, felt like I'd been sprayed with acid. The nurse swapped me to estriol cream and now I'm ok again, though do sometimes feel slightly uncomfortable. Like you, I find it really messy and its a bit of a faff, but worth it to stop the discomfort. My GP said that some ladies are able to go back to vagifem once they have symptom control from the cream, but I'm guessing that some people (maybe you and me) react to the fillers in it.

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 08:21:32 PM »

Thank you all so much for your advice and support.....feeling so low at the moment.....did some gardening today to try to take my mind off it 😊
Think it is the Vagifem causing the burning......i use at night and then the next day it will come out onto a panty liner ( sorry tmi).....guessing this is then against my already inflamed skin 😔....i have put on some yes moisturiser today.....and haven't used the dermavate .....or any hormone ....i just need to get my head around some sort of regime.....will put in some ovestin tomorrow evening .....have work Monday so hoping things will begin to calm down.....Shropshirelass is estriol the same as ovestin.......? and is it ok to chop and change 😳 xx

Joaniepat

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 09:46:22 PM »

Think it is the Vagifem causing the burning......i use at night and then the next day it will come out onto a panty liner ( sorry tmi).....guessing this is then against my already inflamed skin 😔....i have put on some yes moisturiser today.....and haven't used the dermavate .....or any hormone ....i just need to get my head around some sort of regime.....will put in some ovestin tomorrow evening .....have work Monday so hoping things will begin to calm down.....Shropshirelass is estriol the same as ovestin.......? and is it ok to chop and change 😳 xx

If the Vagifem is not dissolving then you are too dry inside. I find the best thing for this is to insert some Yes VM into the vaginal canal using a round-ended applicator (available from Stressnomore). I do this at night, followed by Vagifem in the morning. Or you could just stick to Ovestin internally for a while.

Estriol Cream is weaker than Ovestin, containing 0.01% estriol as opposed to the 0.1% in Ovestin. Therefore the applicator is bigger and you use a larger dose.

Why not try the Estring if you have already got one, and just use the Ovestin externally where needed. You might get lucky on this regime! Anyway I do hope you find some relief soon.

JP x

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 05:36:50 PM »

Mrs. B....I had a long conversation with a NP about Vagifem and vulva issues.  Apparently, and perhaps maryjane can add in her thoughts, when you are taking any topical estrogen,  it 'wakes up' tissues and nerves that have been depleted.  She said that COULD be the cause of irritation and stinging in vulva area and it's just a matter of continuation of estrogen which will eventually settle discomfort.  It takes a VERY LONG time on vagifem as the estrogen is very minute.  I also take Amitriptyline 50 mg. and was told to continue until vulva area is sorted.  Sounds like that might be your issue as well. 

shrosphirelass

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2019, 08:19:58 PM »

MrsBennett, yeah it is weaker and therefore Im guessing even messier, but at least it means everywhere is getting coated. My GP wasn't keen on me switching to ovestin. Like you I also had experience of the vagifem falling out. I kept finding bits of it on the bathroom floor in the morning. I'm hoping the new pessary mentioned somewhere on here will offer something else to try in the future.

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2019, 08:38:35 PM »

Hi thank you Joaniepat not sure i want to use Estring 🙄.....so will go with the Ovestin for now.....along with dermavate and i have got the yes vm also....it's just trying to get my head around a regime.....feeling very stressed at tge moment which i think is exacerbating the whole situation .......xx
Interesting what you said about nerves Whatsupwiththis and i was also prescribed the amitriptyline but it makes me so groggy in the  morning so gave up 😳......xx
Shropshirelass sorry that you are having the same problem with the Vagifem.....but hopefully the Ovestin will give you some relief too xx