Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: I thought hrt would "solve" everything but my mood is getting worse by the day  (Read 7652 times)

margherita

Thanks Wrensong. In some ways it's to be expected that emotions run high here because the stakes and anxiety are so high when it comes to all things menopause. I've appreciated input on all your experiences which I realise are all different.

Nannyneet

Jaycee, some hrt's are made from pregnant mules urine, not horses I don't think?

Some are plant based..

I agree that people should of course make their own minds up whether to take hrt or not and I think it's good to hear all experiences of taking hrt, good and bad!? Right?

The HRT made from equine urine is made from horses not mules but what difference does that make anyway,it's still way beyond cruel, those treatments are very rarely used nowadays ( although I did speak to someone on Premarin this morning on FB but I'm not sure where in the world she is) it is still used in the USA but not normally in the uk, all the new common brands of HRT are plant based from yams

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

My over-all good diet has no effect on my vaginal atrophy.  Hormones however, did - apparently  ::) i.e. dropping off of oestrogen levels = dryness inside and out.  I was well passed my last bleed when these symptoms began [too tired to work how how long] and fortunately, my GP was on the ball  :-*

Wrensong

Jari, thank you for taking the time to explain on this thread your aversion to HRT.  I'm sorry you had such a horrible experience, which must have been very frightening, especially as you say you live alone.  In common with many members, I've also had very unpleasant & at time frightening reactions to some elements of past HRT regimes, so it's testament to how unwell menopause can make us feel & how much that disrupts our lives, that we persevere with it.  It's certainly not a choice for the faint hearted, but I think most of us research before taking that leap of faith & accept that the consequences can be good as well as bad, as is sadly the case with most forms of medication. 

I sense you're angry too about the expense involved in private healthcare & I can well understand that, given what happened to you.  We are very lucky to have the NHS & my own exposure to private healthcare in recent years (when the NHS has not been able to meet my needs) has shown me just how expensive are many of the procedures we take for granted on the NHS.  It must have felt like adding insult to injury that each time you needed help with the serious consequences of trialling the HRT you had so needed to work well for you, there was another hefty bill to pay.

As I recently said to you on another thread, I think all views & histories are valid on this forum, as imo it's important to be as informed as possible & think very carefully about HRT before starting it, during use it & even afterwards, keeping an open mind, receptive to new research & others' experiences that may be relevant to our individual, possibly changing circumstances. 

However, I also think it's important to be as sure of facts as we can before we post & to think about how what we want to say may affect others.  We can't know for sure or in detail the mental state or circumstances of those reading the forum & every time I post on any topic that's not just light-hearted, the responsibility of it weighs heavily on my mind.  There seems to me always the potential for unwittingly causing harm or distress & I don't think anyone posting here would want to do that.

I think your experience in managing your symptoms naturally is potentially very valuable to the forum, so if you can share that in a positive way I'm sure many members would find it both interesting & helpful.  Successful coping strategies are so valuable at a time when many of us feel we have no control over the devastation menopause is wreaking on our lives, so I think you could do much  good if you choose to help out in that way.

I hope you continue to be lucky enough & well enough to manage without HRT - the ideal scenario for many of us.  :)

Jari

Thank you Wrensong.

I am sorry to anyone that I may have upset by my candid opinions on hrt, but my experience of it was not a good one and when I read other ladies that are having a bad time with it too or are questioning it, it makes me want to help them and not go through what I did.
It also freaked me out quite a bit as I honestly hadn't realised how powerful and what effects it can have. For some...

I am very aware that it can work well for some ladies.

You are quite right that my approach was too harsh and I will be gentler in future! Noted!

X

Wrensong

Hi Jmargaret - I'm sure no-one is at all bored with your posts, so please keep posting.  We're all here to listen & do what we can to help each other.  I imagine there are times when the description frightened applies to many of us - there are so many uncertainties & unknowns still about HRT & shockingly, even menopause itself.  It feels sometimes as though we are all guinea pigs & that's one reason the support, generosity & kindness of the wonderful ladies who share so openly on this forum helps & fortifies us & why it can mean so much.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 08:22:59 AM by Wrensong »

Wrensong

Bless you Jari.  I'll look forward to reading your tips on how we can all ease our journey naturally - those of us who use HRT may benefit too.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

Move over JMargaret as I can sleep for England  ;D.  Especially when there's a programme that I really want to see on TV  :D  ::) - I wake hearing the Credits !

MicheleMaBelle

Hi ladies- late to this post so apologies for throwing in my views at the last minute. I'm on HRT and 4 years plus in, I'm still not convinced that it's great for me, I just don't want to go back to how bad I was before. But there's only one way of finding out...

Based on my conversation with Professor Lumsden at Glasgow Royal Infirmary ( she contributed to the NICE guidelines on HRT ) she was firmly of the belief that HRT could be hugely beneficial. However, she admitted it just didn't work for some women and her view was that if it made you feel better, go ahead and keep taking it. If it didn't make you feel better, stop taking it. Quite simple really.
We are all different. We just need to find out what works and be prepared to be open minded that there is no one size fits all. We've all got to try and support one another through this s**tstorm stage of life. We have enough to contend with dealing with the non believers...x

Nannyneet

Hi ladies- late to this post so apologies for throwing in my views at the last minute. I'm on HRT and 4 years plus in, I'm still not convinced that it's great for me, I just don't want to go back to how bad I was before. But there's only one way of finding out...

Based on my conversation with Professor Lumsden at Glasgow Royal Infirmary ( she contributed to the NICE guidelines on HRT ) she was firmly of the belief that HRT could be hugely beneficial. However, she admitted it just didn't work for some women and her view was that if it made you feel better, go ahead and keep taking it. If it didn't make you feel better, stop taking it. Quite simple really.
We are all different. We just need to find out what works and be prepared to be open minded that there is no one size fits all. We've all got to try and support one another through this s**tstorm stage of life. We have enough to contend with dealing with the non believers...x

Seems sensible to me,if it doesn't help you just stop taking it,if it does help you carry on,I also think we have to make sure we give it enough time to actually work ,a lot of people think they will get results straight away and it can take a while to kick in,also if you have been on it a while you need to be aware of where you are with the menopause itself because your hormone needs will vary depending on whether you are peri menopausal,menopause or post menopausal

Sparrow

I second that.  Sounds logical.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]