Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Overdose  (Read 9510 times)

racjen

Overdose
« on: July 28, 2019, 07:55:56 AM »

Well it finally happened, a few upsetting things piled up and I just couldn't cope anymore. So yesterday I took an overdose - ended up in Torbay Hospital all day, then they turfed me out to call a taxi and find my own way home in my PJs at 11pm. I obviously didn't do my research well enough, or I'd have been coming home in a hearse. Now at home with 'support' from Crisis Team  will probably have to go and stay with my Mum as my daughters can't cope with anymore of this.

Foxylady

Re: Overdose
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 08:42:42 AM »

Oh racjen, I'm so desperately sad to hear that for yourself but also the family & I have to say so glad it was unsuccessful (I'm not sure that's maybe what you want to hear now as everything will be so raw). Unfortunately as I'm sure you know the NHS is extremely poorly equipped in relation to mental health support, good at initial life saving but the after care, poor. I hope the crisis team are supportiive and you get the long term support needed and whatever decision is made re staying with your mum or not that it is right for you. Give yourself some affection and time out & talk, don't keep in all inside, remeber there are people who care about you & are willing to listen, you just have to be honest. x

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 10:58:59 AM »

Hello racjen.

I'm so sorry to learn that you were driven to this course of action.

The NHS has been underfunded for years and it's always the people in need of care that pay the price. My only hope is that now you qualify for a more appropriate treatment and that you finally get the help that you need and deserve.

Please keep posting so that you can receive all the support we can offer. You are not alone.

Sending hugs and warm thoughts.

K.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 11:42:43 AM »

So sorry to hear about this and hopefully you can get the help that you so desperately need, my partner had to be admitted to MH ward and the crisis team were very good with support after he was discharged.

How old are your daughters? If you are able to stay with your mother i personally think that is a good thing, my children were badly affected by my partners breakdown. So if you can help shield them a bit please do....please do not see that as a dig at you as i know it is nothing you have control over. Take care x

AgathaC

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 12:23:58 PM »

Dear Racjen - this is terrible. I don't know what to say, other than to echo the sentiments of the ladies above.
I'm sending you all my very best wishes, Agatha C x

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 12:56:22 PM »

I'm so sorry racjen. I wish I could give some words of comfort, I feel so inadequate. I hope they can do something to help you feel better. Hopefully your mum will be there for support.  :hug:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 01:09:27 PM »

If you feel ill again ring the Samaritans or your GP? 

racjen

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 01:17:55 PM »

So sorry to hear about this and hopefully you can get the help that you so desperately need, my partner had to be admitted to MH ward and the crisis team were very good with support after he was discharged.

How old are your daughters? If you are able to stay with your mother i personally think that is a good thing, my children were badly affected by my partners breakdown. So if you can help shield them a bit please do....please do not see that as a dig at you as i know it is nothing you have control over. Take care x

My daughters are 19 and 23, still finding it distressing but at least they're old enough understand what's going on.

The Crisis Team have just been - they offered a bed in a very small crisis psychiatric unit for a week. That'll give us all some brathig space and decide what we do next.

racjen

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2019, 01:22:28 PM »

If you feel ill again ring the Samaritans or your GP?

I've phoned Samaritans a few times, and turned up at my GP with masses of paracetemol which I then panicked about. The trouble is, helplines are great but you have to go through the whole story again and again - I'm fed up with it and in the end it doesn't take the problem away  :'(

Lanzalover

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2019, 01:57:24 PM »

Dear racjen

So sorry to read this hopefully now you will receive the help and support you so desperately need, and remember there are lots of people on here who care about you.

Sending love and good wishes
Love Lanzalover x

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2019, 01:59:05 PM »

I found having to repeat tiring.  Never got the same person - that's so the supporters don't build up a 'relationship' with those in trouble but to have to repeat didn't seem logical to me.  In those days Samaritans didn't keep notes ........ now there are walk-in centres.

Get those jamas packed and give yourself a break. 

Ladybt28

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2019, 12:13:56 PM »

Oh racjen, there is nothing I am going to be able to say that will make you feel better except I am sending much love and positive wishes that you can find someone in our broken NHS that can help you without you having go over and over and over the situation.  With my husbands mental health problem it was like looking for a needle in a haystack to find someone "who actually got it"!!  Take the bed and keep talking - you feel like you are a burden to your family but it is nothing like the burden it would be if they lost you to suicide.  They love you and we love you - however your are - everyone just wants you to be better. :bighug:

Katejo

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2019, 03:01:23 PM »

Well it finally happened, a few upsetting things piled up and I just couldn't cope anymore. So yesterday I took an overdose - ended up in Torbay Hospital all day, then they turfed me out to call a taxi and find my own way home in my PJs at 11pm. I obviously didn't do my research well enough, or I'd have been coming home in a hearse. Now at home with 'support' from Crisis Team  will probably have to go and stay with my Mum as my daughters can't cope with anymore of this.
Really sorry to read this. I hope things are starting to improve. Sending you home alone at 11pm sounds unacceptable!

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2019, 07:52:58 PM »

Racjen I'm not great with words & find it hard to say right thing, sending you lots of hugs, sending you home at 11pm and not checking whether someone will be at home is unacceptable, even though the NHS are understaffed & not always able to deal with mental health patients. I'm really sorry to hear you got to that point, but I have been there about 25 years ago now (early 20's) was kept in hospital for 2 nights, saw a psychiatrist twice and that was it. There were no crises teams in those days you were left to deal with it. I really hope you get all the help you need.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 07:56:11 PM by Yorkshire Girl »

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2019, 10:23:46 PM »

I believe racjen has gone 'into care'  ;) so hopefully will be listened too.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4