Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17

Author Topic: Plastics / Climate change  (Read 48842 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Plastics / Climate change
« Reply #150 on: March 10, 2020, 02:54:13 PM »

The World has been here B4.  I think it was a metoorite that killed the dinosaurs ....... then Man arrived and fouled up the Earth even more. 

Jari

« Reply #151 on: March 10, 2020, 03:10:58 PM »

https://www.livekindly.co/david-attenborough-lost-appetite-meat-state-planet/

An interesting article. David Attenborough is a legend and I am going with what he says.. ;)

I am not sure that the planet has reached the temperatures we are now faced with CLKD??

We have 12 years to try to stop the increase and if we do not bother, then the temperatures will then increase uncontrollably, wiping out life on planet Earth.

I suppose this may have already happened millions of years ago?! X
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 03:15:01 PM by Jari »

sheila99

« Reply #152 on: March 10, 2020, 03:55:50 PM »

Sheila99. Your link says that cows have a worse effect on the planet than cars in the short term but cars in the long term.

In my opinion, both are very bad therefore and change is coming whether you like it or not.

Future generations won't even exist if they can no longer breathe.. just sayin!
You seem to have missed the point and it seems to be a point deliberately missed by the vegan brigade. Methane breaks down in approx 10 years so no longer has a negative effect. Every time you drive your car, eat imported food or turn your heating on you ADD to the problem. You're using fossil fuels and the damage lasts hundreds of years. Apart from in Brazil the world cow population is relatively stable so in 10 years time there will be the same amount of methane whereas every year the amount of co2 goes up.
The cow theory just seems to be a convenient scapegoat so we can avoid the decisions we don't want to make. How many people know methane breaks down?
 There was no global warming when millions of buffalo roamed North America, it only started when man burned fossil fuels.
 Sadly change seems to be in the wrong direction. Apparently there are now twice as many flights as there were 10 years ago and we know co2 in the atmosphere is worse than co2 at ground level. Why it isn't included in emissions regulations beyond me. Perhaps that's where we should start.

CLKD

« Reply #153 on: March 10, 2020, 04:25:58 PM »

If the Government of the day were really serious, they wouldn't have said yes to HS2.  Not then and certainly not more recently.  It's costing the tax payer ?Bs more than expected.  It's ploughing through countryside etc..  Which will release who knows what into the atmosphere.  This should have been the Governments first step towards what they think we should do!

If one deforests areas across the World it takes HUGE lorries and man power.  Roads have to be built, usually of concrete which uses fossil fuels to make. If the concrete roads are then taken up it uses HUGE lorries etc..   If those forests aren't replanted then soil erosion occurs.  Releasing gasses that have been stored.  If woods are destroyed then the whole eco-system is destroyed. What right do we as humans have to kill a whole eco-system?  Erosion rushes into water courses, out to sea ........

Leave it where it is!

Jari

« Reply #154 on: March 10, 2020, 05:25:03 PM »

Agree that fossil fuels need to be rapidly dealt with too.

I do find that David Attenborough knows what he is talking about, along with all the other scientists, but it is up to us as individuals to research and decide what we think.

I think it is a bit silly to start labelling people as the vegan brigade. They are listening to the facts, but I would agree that Ignorance is bliss!

sheila99

« Reply #155 on: March 10, 2020, 05:48:13 PM »

I didn't say you were ignorant jari. If you want to think you can save the planet by eating vegetables but you continue to use fossil fuels that's up to you.

Jari

« Reply #156 on: March 10, 2020, 06:10:23 PM »

Hi Sheila, I did not say that by eating vegetables we can save the planet. 😂 however, I do think that if we all stop or reduce our animal intake, then this would dramatically help.

CLKD

« Reply #157 on: March 10, 2020, 06:36:09 PM »

Vegans and vegetarians need to eat everything raw.  No cooking = no fossil fuels ;-)

As a recovering anorexic I have to eat what I fancy when I fancy - in order to stay alive.  I enjoy some foods for weeks then go off them.  So it is essential that I have access to what I will eat .......... I can't stomach eggs unless in cake  :-* ...... my gut simply can't process them.  Even omelettes are off the menu for me.  I don't eat bacon, sausage ........... too greasy .  I can't be bothered to prepare raw veg. so would have to buy it from the store in a plastic box  :-\

I does my best I does  ;) and don't get me started on David Attenborough programmes  >:( I could write a book about how contrived many of them are!

sheila99

« Reply #158 on: March 11, 2020, 10:48:52 AM »

[quote author ;D ;D=CLKD link=topic=43845.msg762360#msg762360 date=1583865369]
Vegans and vegetarians need to eat everything raw.  No cooking = no fossil fuels ;-)

[/quote]
 ;D ;D

A life without bacon and eggs? Nooooo...

Can't work out why anyone can think imported vegetation does less damage  than grass fed lamb but each to their own.

Jari

« Reply #159 on: March 11, 2020, 11:50:42 AM »

Agree Sheila.

Best to buy local grown seasonal fruit n veg!

Not imported dead animals, if that is your thing..
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 02:01:36 PM by Jari »

CLKD

« Reply #160 on: March 11, 2020, 12:48:29 PM »

Better than importing live animals for slaughter although that is usually the other direction: horses, donkeys, cattle - off to Europe .......

Council recycling bin collection today.  My bin is full as it goes out about every 3rd week as we don't produce much. 

Jari

« Reply #161 on: March 11, 2020, 02:02:34 PM »

CLKD. Recycling could do with being improved too! ;)

CLKD

« Reply #162 on: March 11, 2020, 02:12:17 PM »

My Council is the 3rd best County in the UK 4 recycling ...........  :medal:   :party09:

CLKD

« Reply #163 on: January 01, 2021, 08:46:25 PM »

2 night at 9.00 Torvill and Dean are travelling somewhere to do some ice skating in the fresh air - I think the point is that due to climate change 'all this' is disappearing  :-X

It was to Alaska looking for firm ice to skate on in the open air.  The scenery was lovely and a good free advert as a holiday destination. 

However: they both flew 2 and back from Alaska; plus the TV Crew; as well as driving around parts of Alaska or travelling by helicopter to reach a glacier which is shrinking. Apparently. 

A suitable lake was found but had to be cleared of snow: 4 vehicles to carry crew etc., 1 of which had snow clearing equipment which was powered by gas. ..... go figure.  Then we got the lecture about how we should all be doing more to prevent climate change  >:(
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 02:04:10 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

Olympics and Climate change
« Reply #164 on: July 25, 2021, 02:49:42 PM »

Dipping in and out of coverage from Japan.  Watching a couple who play badminton in pairs competitions.  During their interview at home, she stated that they began having meat free Mondays then found that they were eating less meat each week.  'If everyone started with 1 thing, it would help the environment' was the husband's comment.  They bought a dog during lockdown, a rescue American cocker spaniel.

So - dogs are not good for the envioronment: pet food takes a lot of resources 2 make, B4 it reaches the consumer. Plus disposing of poo bags  :(.  Plus toys, leads, bedding manufacturing ........ and this couple TRAVEL World Wide to competitions   :bang:  As DH said, no evidence that they will be taking an England-based job then?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17