Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hello I’m writing my first post sorry in advance for length!  (Read 1988 times)

Teepee

Hello all, thanks for adding me. I'm happy to say I've just started HRT after struggling for many many years. I'm age 56 and started having hot flushes, low mood, aches and pains, and I think the whole list of possible symptoms from my early to mid forties.
Naively I didn't know much at all about menopausal symptoms apart from the joked about hot flushes as it wasn't really discussed when I was growing up. I thought it was something that was slightly inconvenient and brief and it would literally last months or a couple of years and then you came out the other side back to normal so to speak, how wrong was I?
I now realise that it's a very individual experience and some breeze through whilst others have many difficulties and a terrible time.
I've been an infrequent visitor to my GP but on the odd occasion I visited I asked for referrals for joint pain as this was getting me down the most. I have thought that I'd got fibromyalgia, rheumatism, arthritis, been to chiropractic, massage therapists, and osteopaths. I've tried changing diet, cutting out sugar, caffeine, limiting carbs etc and it's over time got worse and worse.
Previously I had plantar fasciitis, a foot neuroma, greater trochanteric pain syndrome, and generally ached from head to toe. I've tried supplements for joints like glucosamine sulphate and more recently CBD oil. I've been offered pain killers on repeat prescription but always declined knowing in my heart of hearts that this wasn't the answer I was looking for.
I always thought that HRT wasn't an option for me due to the risk of breast cancer ( I hadn't really looked into it because of this) my mother had this in her 60's so I thought it wasn't available to me.
Only recently I learned the aches and pains could be connected to menopause and I started reading more. I weighed it up and saw my GP last week.
She told me the options and we agreed on a treatment which I started 4 days ago. Almost immediately I feel different. I was told 2 to 3 weeks and up to 3 months to notice a difference.
I feel stronger physically and emotionally, my skin looks much more radiant and less dry, my sleep has been more like it used to be and I feel generally more optimistic. I am still a little achey but nothing like before where I felt so slow, now I'm more sprightly and have more ease when moving.
Am I going mad, could it be the HRT so soon, I can't actually believe I feel so different so quickly. Sorry for such a long post but I'm flabbergasted. I felt 80 but now feel 40.

Foxylady

Re: Hello I’m writing my first post sorry in advance for length!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 06:20:49 PM »

Thats great news Teepee, its always good to hear a positive result and especially so soon. Im 11 weeks into HRT and probably just the last 2 weeks noticed a measurable difference, mainly in relation to my insomnia. I hope you continue to feel better and you find the forum as useful as I have since recently joining! :)

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 07:47:27 PM »

Hello Teepee, welcome to the forum.

Lovely to hear you are doing so well, long may it continue. I also found oestrogen  was great for joint pains, although it was more of a gradual improvement in my case. Thanks for sharing your good news.

JP x

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 08:18:39 PM »

Hi Teepee.  :welcomemm:

Yes it is the hrt, it's funny how much you feel better since starting it, to how you was before, so yes, it's the hrt, long may it continue. You maybe like me, sensitive to it, so it's worked really quickly, plus, it sounded like your body was crying out for the hormones. I'm so glad you feel better. My joints feel better now too since being in hrt, it's incredible how much you can actually ache. All because of a hormone! 🙂
Well done, and hope you carry on feeling better...
Who wants to feel 80 eh? 😄
Let us know how your getting on....good luck....

Jd xx

Teepee

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 08:53:41 PM »

Thankyou jillydoll, foxy lady and joaniepat for your replies. I so wish I'd known the joint aches connection earlier. It's good to have found this site which my GP actually recommended to me for reliable information and support. Very encouraging to have others to relate to going through the same experiences.

Tc

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 08:56:12 PM »

Hiya teepee  :welcomemm:

LuLu71

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 01:30:09 AM »

Hi Teepee! That's great that you are feeling better already on the HRT. I too felt so much better after a few days...I really think being able to sleep does wonders for the body and mind in general. I had had terrible insomnia before I went on HRT and my goodness, what a difference it made to me to be able to sleep again. The effects of this damn menopause transition can be so wearing on the body and mind and sleep helps the body repair itself...anyway, I hope you keep feeling better. As well, I'm sure you feel better knowing now what the reason is for all of your symptoms. All the best  :)

JaneinPen

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 08:01:09 AM »

Hi Teepee  :welcomemm:  so pleased to hear that you are beginning to feel better. My GP also recommended this invaluable site to me. Pity more of them don't

Katejo

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 11:42:05 AM »

Hello all, thanks for adding me. I'm happy to say I've just started HRT after struggling for many many years. I'm age 56 and started having hot flushes, low mood, aches and pains, and I think the whole list of possible symptoms from my early to mid forties.
Naively I didn't know much at all about menopausal symptoms apart from the joked about hot flushes as it wasn't really discussed when I was growing up. I thought it was something that was slightly inconvenient and brief and it would literally last months or a couple of years and then you came out the other side back to normal so to speak, how wrong was I?
I now realise that it's a very individual experience and some breeze through whilst others have many difficulties and a terrible time.
I've been an infrequent visitor to my GP but on the odd occasion I visited I asked for referrals for joint pain as this was getting me down the most. I have thought that I'd got fibromyalgia, rheumatism, arthritis, been to chiropractic, massage therapists, and osteopaths. I've tried changing diet, cutting out sugar, caffeine, limiting carbs etc and it's over time got worse and worse.
Previously I had plantar fasciitis, a foot neuroma, greater trochanteric pain syndrome, and generally ached from head to toe. I've tried supplements for joints like glucosamine sulphate and more recently CBD oil. I've been offered pain killers on repeat prescription but always declined knowing in my heart of hearts that this wasn't the answer I was looking for.
I always thought that HRT wasn't an option for me due to the risk of breast cancer ( I hadn't really looked into it because of this) my mother had this in her 60's so I thought it wasn't available to me.
Only recently I learned the aches and pains could be connected to menopause and I started reading more. I weighed it up and saw my GP last week.
She told me the options and we agreed on a treatment which I started 4 days ago. Almost immediately I feel different. I was told 2 to 3 weeks and up to 3 months to notice a difference.
I feel stronger physically and emotionally, my skin looks much more radiant and less dry, my sleep has been more like it used to be and I feel generally more optimistic. I am still a little achey but nothing like before where I felt so slow, now I'm more sprightly and have more ease when moving.
Am I going mad, could it be the HRT so soon, I can't actually believe I feel so different so quickly. Sorry for such a long post but I'm flabbergasted. I felt 80 but now feel 40.
Which HRT are you trying please? I am the same age and trying HRT for very similar reasons but haven't felt any benefits yet.

Teepee

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 01:02:56 PM »

Hi Katejo, TC, Herdwick and Lulu71.

The one I'm being prescribed is combined continuous Femoston continue 0.5mg/2.5 mg tablets. A friend I mentioned it to said I should ask for patches next time to minimise clotting risks. As I'm very new to this I'm keen to learn more about what works best for others and experiences but definitely a case of so far so good as the doc did say this was a very low dose.
No side effects so far and all good with energy, mood and improved aches and pains. People have also commented that my complexion looks glowing and younger, so I didn't actually expect anything after all I've been through and could cry with relief!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 02:42:28 PM »

If it works, don't change it ;-)

As oestrogen levels drop so muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Also the body may become dry: inside and out  :o including the vagina - do read our appropriate threads  ;) .  Make notes.

Katejo

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2019, 03:21:04 PM »

Hi Katejo, TC, Herdwick and Lulu71.

The one I'm being prescribed is combined continuous Femoston continue 0.5mg/2.5 mg tablets. A friend I mentioned it to said I should ask for patches next time to minimise clotting risks. As I'm very new to this I'm keen to learn more about what works best for others and experiences but definitely a case of so far so good as the doc did say this was a very low dose.
No side effects so far and all good with energy, mood and improved aches and pains. People have also commented that my complexion looks glowing and younger, so I didn't actually expect anything after all I've been through and could cry with relief!
I am on patches (Evoril Conti) but haven't had any change so far. Only used half patches so far but I am testing whole patches this week as a trial.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 05:09:44 PM »

Tablet form is considered the worst one, I think, but after trying patches myself, it's the best one for me...it's the progesterone in the Femoston that's more gentle. You can't get the same progesterone in any of the patches.

Xx

Teepee

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2019, 08:44:14 PM »

I'll keep going and see what happens. I've read a few posts here and there and got a lot more information than I've had from anywhere else previously. Happy I've found you all and thankful for the warm welcome and words of encouragement. :)