Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Your passport post Brexit ALERT  (Read 2268 times)

Shadyglade

Your passport post Brexit ALERT
« on: January 25, 2019, 07:01:19 PM »

Beware all you holiday makers!!

Apparently if we leave the EU without a deal, on 29th of March, you will need at least 6 months on your passport to travel in the EU.

Worse still if you carried some months over, when you last renewed, you may need up to 15 months left in order to travel.

This info is from todays I newspaper. Full details on the Home Office website.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/passport-rules-for-travel-to-europe-after-brexit

Katejo

Re: Your passport post Brexit ALERT
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 07:21:52 PM »

Beware all you holiday makers!!

Apparently if we leave the EU without a deal, on 29th of March, you will need at least 6 months on your passport to travel in the EU.

Worse still if you carried some months over, when you last renewed, you may need up to 15 months left in order to travel.

This info is from todays I newspaper. Full details on the Home Office website.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/passport-rules-for-travel-to-europe-after-brexit
I first read this last September and have since renewed mine. It was supposed to be valid until March 2020 but May expire by about April 2019.

Gangan

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 07:52:45 PM »

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/italy/entry-requirements

We renewed our passports over the christmas period. They were due to expire anyway.
Very difficult getting a home done photo past their online application. We ended up going to a photo shop in town to get a digital code with some mug shots.

Gangan

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 08:28:35 PM »

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/italy/entry-requirements

We renewed our passports over the christmas period. They were due to expire anyway.
Very difficult getting a home done photo past their online application. We ended up going to a photo shop in town to get a digital code with some mug shots.

Gangan
   I had to do the same re. photos. i did try at home but they were rejected. No plain walls sufficiently close to windows for sufficient light. It was pretty quick. I sent my application on about  Dec 29th and got my new one on Jan 3rd.

Gangan

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 08:51:05 PM »

Much the same for us they came very quickly. My application went to Glasgow my husband's went to Peterborough but the new ones arrived here the same day by courier. We thought about not renewing with possible changes ahead but feel better knowing that we've done it. Don't travel abroad much now.

Gangan

Shadyglade

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 11:50:10 AM »

Well I was shocked when I read the newspaper article, as I knew nothing about it.  Went straight upstairs to check our passports as we are going on holiday in April.  Luckily there is another 2 years 6 months to go on ours.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 04:38:50 PM »

loads of countries have the same rules. My friend is from Tanzania and went off to visit her family last year.  She got to the airport and they would not let her fly as she only had 5 months left on her passport and it needed to be six which she had not realised.   She lost her air fare etc and was really sad.  She begged and pleaded and said she was only going for two weeks but she got nowhere.

Shadyglade

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 04:47:21 PM »

loads of countries have the same rules. My friend is from Tanzania and went off to visit her family last year.  She got to the airport and they would not let her fly as she only had 5 months left on her passport and it needed to be six which she had not realised.   She lost her air fare etc and was really sad.  She begged and pleaded and said she was only going for two weeks but she got nowhere.

Quite right. I was just pointing out the changes for people who were not aware. Like me.

Two hoots

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 05:02:36 PM »

Cruise lines have always required at least six months remaining on your passport before you cruise, it's an odd request what difference does 7 months or 5 months make on a two week holiday.

Katejo

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 05:04:31 PM »

Well I was shocked when I read the newspaper article, as I knew nothing about it.  Went straight upstairs to check our passports as we are going on holiday in April.  Luckily there is another 2 years 6 months to go on ours.
I spotted it on MSE forum originally. I will post a link when I get home if I can still find the original one.

Here is the original link https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/09/passport-applicants-hit-out-after-being-given-shorter-than-expec/

The early comments on it were from people who had renewed their passports slightly early because of planned  trips and had expected the 6 months or so to be carried over to the new  passport. They were shocked to find that this didn't happen. I suspected that there was a Brexit connection and was right. At first the government website failed to add this info. It has now been added.
Other EU countries don't allow their citizens to carry any months over at all. In fact some only allow a 5 year passport. I have a friend in Sweden and a Greek lodger so I asked them both about their passports and they are only allowed 5 years. If we get 'No Deal' this restriction will apply to us. For this reason any months carried over from your previous passport won't be included in the 6 months required.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 05:45:15 PM by Katejo »