Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: New to Site  (Read 1138 times)

KateR2006

• First Flush
New to Site
« on: July 26, 2020, 04:35:32 PM »

Hi
I am new to the site. I am also at the start of my HRT journey. Here’s a brief history of my journey so far. I started to consider that I was peri 2 years ago at the age of 48 I developed migraines which suddenly occurred 12 Times a month. It has taken me 2 years and various Failed trials of preventative medications to consider going down the HRT route as I started to develop night sweats and serious anxiety last year.
I have used Mirena since the age of 40 when my periods started to become erratic. So started with Estradot25 and have now progressed to 50. Migraines are still happening approximately 7 times a month and are now relatively pain free which is a relief. I find I get very black moods, mood swings, palpitations, early morning dread, my skin is dreadful but the night sweats have improved although I still get them but to much less a degree.
All of my dealings with doc have been Done virtually because of coronavirus, I have had no tests and am now struggling to get hold of Estradot to add to my misery.
I feel from reading posts in this forum that This is going to be a very long journey to feeling better again And that none of us are the same so one persons experience and words of wisdom might not be relevant to my symptoms and this makes me feel so desperate. The lack of face to face contact also makes it so hard to get answers. I feel like my symptoms are just not important enough.
My main concerns are:
When do you know you’ve reached the right level or indeed the wrong level with too Much Estrogen.
Should I be having regular tests with my doctor to check my BP Etc.
How can I get the best treatment and advice from my Male GP. And indeed what even is that, with Biodenticals and all the other treatments that women have on this site it’s a minefield!
Help!
Many thanks

Gabs

Re: New to Site
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 05:00:00 PM »

Hi Kate,

I can't answer any of your questions sorry but wanted to say hi and welcome to this website. I am sure you will get some great answers here.

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 06:19:04 PM »

Hello KateR2006 and welcome to the forum.

This site may seem overwhelming at first but you will soon get the hang of it! 

For more information on different HRTs you can use the search facility and I understand that symptom relief is the best indicator of sufficient oestrogen, ladies who feel they are taking too much regularly post about their experiences so you can learn from them.

I don't recall my GP insisting that my BP was monitored for HRT but again other ladies may have a different story to tell.

I hope this helps you in some way and I'm sure other MM members will be along soon.

Wishing you well.

K.

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 09:19:16 PM »

I had to have my BP checked, they do it once a year. The vast majority of women are fine on the first hrt they try, you tend to get a warped view of things on here because it's mainly the few who have problems that post. GPs aren't experts. You can ask for a referral to a menopause clinic if you need to speak to an expert or you ask on here or try the search box. I've learned more on here than from any doctor. You know you're on the right dose when your symptoms go. If you go privately they may check your levels but the nhs just goes on symptoms.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 08:23:09 AM »

I have a well woman check annually as the Government insists that GPs monitor patients.  He takes my BP, weighs me, checks on my medication requirements then we have a chat  ::).  He has to tick box the questions "Do you still require this medication and how would you be if I stopped prescribing it?"

Browse round.  As suggested as for a referral to a menopause clinic - not a gynaecologist but a specific clinic ;-)

KateR2006

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 12:50:23 PM »

Thank you all for your responses. I will have a good browse round and see what I can learn.
It’s such a minefield right now but I, sure I’ll get the hang of it soon.
KT
Xxx :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 01:11:57 PM »

Sure you will.  Ask away, nowt is taboo, silly and you'll find most have been there B4 you ;-)