Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Vets  (Read 1328 times)

groundhog

Vets
« on: December 30, 2018, 01:31:27 PM »

Hi all,
Some advice please.
We took our cat sooty to vet six months ago as he seemed to have problems eating.  Was told all was fine, but of gingivitis, antibiotics give .
In October took him back as he was much worse.  Turns out he had a big cavity in his gum ,needed extensive op and plastic surgery - cost £500 insurance wouldn't cover as dental is an exception 😡
He was ok after but not 100%.  Became ill over Xmas, took him back and this vet thought he had a tumour and probably has all along.  All the vets there are very young, language barrier as foreign and seem very inexperienced,
I'm just cross they never did a biopsy when they did the extensive surgery .  They are now treating palliatively with steroids and antibiotics .
Plus it's not my cat ! He's a stray, doesn't come in the house but I am responsible for him.
Anyone got any experience of vets please?  Should they have done biopsy, now want us to pay for another op to do biopsy to be certain it's cancer.
I've lost faith I really have, with doctors and now vets.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vets
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 01:47:30 PM »

It's can be a mine field.  The Vet will go on the symptoms as explained by the owner as well as by examination.  Even if a tumour had been present, there may not have been any other treatment route.  Surgery may have triggered cells to move therefore causing the probability of cancer. 

It is a money making business but this shouldn't be the reason to do/not treatments.   Fortunately the 2 vets I use will explain the ins and outs as we go along, including what it 'might' be.  Also, I have been around Vets. enough times to ask 'is this necessary?'  I think too that so many pets are covered by Insurance Policies that the Vets don't always consider how expensive treatment can be! 

How is cat?  How long have you looked after him?  You know what the outcome is likely to be so it is worth another operation simply to get a diagnosis?  What would the treatment be, probably the same?  The important issue is to keep Sooty pain free. 

My little Girl had one under her chin, I felt it one day and found she had difficulty eating after a while.  She would paw her jaw when eating as it was probably painful.  The Vet did a good exam., no biopsy it was obvious on palpation.  Pain relief was given.  Cat then had a lovely meal B4 hiding away, I decided that she had 'had enough' and the Vet. came later that day.

groundhog

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 06:58:45 PM »

Thanks CLKD.  Sooty is ok but he's not right,  he's not eating much despite giv8ng him soft food which he usually loves.  When he comes in he is scratching the carpets and furniture which he never did before so I'm not confident to be honest.
Vets is open tomorrow so maybe il ring them, see what they suggest.
He's also pawing his jaw like your girl CLKD.  🤕🤕🤕

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 10:04:51 PM »

He's probably in pain.  If this is not usual behaviour for him, B prepared for that final needle.  Think of the kindest thing for him.