Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Reducing plastic at home  (Read 19932 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Reducing plastic at home
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2018, 03:33:22 PM »

It was the early 1970s.  An interesting programme about the Prince.  A man B4 his time! 

Shadyglade

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2018, 05:26:43 PM »

There is also palm oil to worry about. Practically everything has it in now, from food stuff to cleaning products and cosmetics. Nightmare.

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2018, 11:27:05 PM »

Yep.  Man is cutting down rain forest the size of Wales; daily  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2018, 12:34:11 PM »

Two of my sacks of bird food are at last, recyclable when empty  :bounce:.  The others however  >:(

Gangan

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2018, 01:15:52 PM »

There is also palm oil to worry about. Practically everything has it in now, from food stuff to cleaning products and cosmetics. Nightmare.

This 2018 christmas advert by Iceland has apparently been banned for it's controversial message. Why ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdpspllWI2o

Gangan

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2018, 04:10:46 PM »

Who asked for it to be removed?  I expect it will be seen by a lot more people ........ and when do Companies begin removing products with palm oil or making it obvious that palm oil is included?

Tnx for sharing.

Hurdity

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2018, 04:54:42 PM »

Another sustainable choice - use Tetrapaks unstead of plastic bottles eg for milk and juice. I have read that these are a more sustainable choice. They are delivered to the bottling plant as flat packs and therefore a huge amount of energy is saved in transport. With plastic bottles mostly what is being transported is air. Also many tetrapaks take up less space when full also than round plastic bottles.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2018, 05:21:12 PM »

Not all Councils have recycling facilities for Tetrapak fortunately ours does.  Currently though our 'stuff' is going to go elsewhere due to funding problems  >:(

[My friend designed Tetrapak  ;) ]

Droopeydrawers

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2018, 08:05:39 AM »

That's one if the things I miss about Spain.everywhere I shopped they wrapped the meat, bacon ,sausages etc in greaseproof paper.for some reason I have a thing about my meat being covered with a plastic film I hate it.good work ladies 😘D.D

Krystal

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2018, 08:01:27 PM »

This week I bought Danone Yoghurts as I thought this company was making a step towards reducing plastic waste. The yoghurts containers appeared to be made of cardboard so I thought I would do my bit. On removing the cardboard sleeve holding the four yoghurts  the containers looked as if the were made entirely of  some type of paper based composition, it was not until I removed the top of the yoghurt pot that I saw that the inside of the pot was hard plastic with a paper outer. What a disappointment. Next time I will buy yoghurts with plastic pots at least I am not wasting paper as the logo is directly on the pot.

In another world many moons ago with lots of water under the bridge, ice cream and other similar products came in cardboard waxed cartons surely we have the technology and ability to replicate something like this similar to tetra packs.

On the plus side the removal of free plastic carrier bags has reduced the waste in our trees and hedgerows. Some time ago I bought a jumbo bag from the supermarket for £0.50 in the belief that this was a so called "bag for life". On Thursday my "bag for life"  failed as the  stitching had come apart  and I had a good view of the floor. I took this to customer services to get another and was politely told that "bags for life" are £0.10 and made of a type of polythene.  My bag was not returnable so I took it home and re stitched the  seams.  The morale of the tale is the bag is made from recycled materials but is not a "bag for life".  ;D ;)

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2018, 08:16:13 PM »

I don't do sewing  ;D so well done .......

I have started looking for large shopping bags in Charity shops: they can be used either supermarket shopping, carrying books from charity shops, a picnic ..........

ariadne

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2018, 05:58:34 PM »

I'm very pleased with the pack of 5 sachets of concentrated household cleaning liquids I mentioned in my original post.  You put the dissolvable sachet into an empty 750 ml trigger bottle with warm water.
I thought the bathroom cleaner was going to be rubbish because it was thin and didn't seem to cling to the shower doors like the well known brand I usually use. But honestly, my shower doors have never shone like that before.
I'm going to ask the manufacturer if they will consider also shower gel, shampoo, conditioner and hand soap liquid.
Because I'm trying to reduce plastic, I have started reading packaging to see if it says they are recyclable. I have been shocked to find that things I had assumed were recyclable and had been merrily throwing into my green bin, are not recyclable at all. Even things like the plastic wrapping over rolls, teacakes etc. And the blister packs with small cakes in.
It's very difficult to know what should go where.

Ariadne xx

Gangan

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2018, 06:06:54 PM »

If it helps i think i read or saw it somewhere that if you can scrunch the plastic i.e thin then don't put it in the recycle.
I've put baby wipe packets in my recycle and they get left behind.

Gangan X

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2018, 08:08:17 PM »

Our Council web-site tells what can/not go into the various bins.

ariadne

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2018, 10:24:44 PM »

Ours does too but it's just a summary and you will find if you read the back of the packaging, that things you would expect to be recyclable, actually aren't.

Ariadne xx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8