Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Reducing plastic at home  (Read 20376 times)

ariadne

Reducing plastic at home
« on: November 10, 2018, 04:00:31 PM »

Looking around at home and seeing just how much that I buy is in rigid plastic containers, I've decided to try and reduce it wherever possible. It's not going to be easy. 

After a bit of research,  I've just ordered a pack of 5 different dissolvable sachets of concentrated cleaning liquid that you put into 750ml empty spray bottles and top up with water.  They will make multipurpose cleaner, floor cleaner, bathroom cleaner, kitchen cleaner, window and glass cleaner. They cost 6.99 so I'm looking forward to seeing how this works out.

Not sure what to do about liquid soap, shampoo, conditioner and shower gel. I could go back to solid soap bars but I remember the messy soap dish with scum underneath the soap and it puts me off.  I know you can get solid shampoo bars too but have never tried them. Has anyone given them a go?

I hate that sausages, bacon, meat portions, fish and some veg  etc. all come in oversized rigid plastic trays. I must try going to the meat and fish counter instead.

For loose veg I've started taking small net bags (like the washing bags you can get) as I realised all I do is throw away the plastic bags as soon as I get home.

Wet wipes. I do use a lot of these. Face and household. I have just tried making my own face wipes and I'm actually rather pleased with them. Might give home made household wipes a go next.

Plastic sandwich bags. I use a lot of these too but am going to buy paper ones instead like you get sweets etc. in. For keeping and freezing bread I usually save the waxed bags from cereals and use those.

Have any of you ladies any suggestions on how to reduce plastic in the home?

Ariadne xx

Gangan

Re: Reducing plastic at home
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 05:06:47 PM »

I've bought smaller bottles of more concentrated floor cleaner and fabric softener. Realise it is still a plastic bottle though however small.

My daughter is using bamboo toothbrushes i ought to follow suit.

I'm conscious that our "plastic and can" tub is fuller each week for recycling than the glass and cardboard tub. I do try and avoid it where possible. Loose veg and fruit much better than wrapped in plastic on a small plastic tray.

So many bitty plastic childrens' toys too. I try and rescue toys from and return to charity shops and rescue from the recycling shop at our recycling centre. They were having a clear out at our local recycling centre shop the last time we were there. Tubs of jumbled childrens plastic toys were off to landfill. Talking to a chap at the tip shop he said one person he knows fills plastic bottles with plastic bags and then uses them as building bricks. I looked this up on the internet and it all has to be dry inside the bottle to be of use.

Gangan X

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 05:18:29 PM »

My daughter makes her own liquid soap. It's lovely and I've made hints that I would like some for Christmas! Commercial ones upset my eczema prone skin. Usually I use block soap, which don't so much. Ariadne, I could get the recipe for you if you are interested. She does buy the ingredients in bulk.

I'm frustrated as I was able to recycle all my food trays and yoghurt pots at a recycling centre near my daughters, but the bin has disappeared. I can only recycle Tetrapaks locally, but not trays etc.

ariadne

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 05:31:59 PM »

Ju Ju, I would love the recipe please. I had already googled home made liquid soap but wasnt sure if I would like the result. But if you say its lovely then thats recommendation enough for me. Thank you ☺

Gangan I just googled plastic bottle buildings as I'd never heard of it before. Fascinating! But looks like it requires lots of cement (and bottles of course)

Ariadne xx

Ariadne xx

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 05:51:51 PM »

I'll ask my daughter. She has experimented on consistency and some of the oil fragrances aren't that wonderful, but lavender is nice. I'll ask her for tips. Of course, it's personal preferences. You need to experiment at first. I've bought her a lovely soap dispenser from the Range, where they do have a good range.

ariadne

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 06:37:44 PM »

Thank you Ju Ju 😚

Ariadne xx

JaneinPen

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 06:46:38 PM »

I try very hard with the plastic and take a snap lock container to the butchers. He was a bit surprised but I said just stick the labels on the containers after they are weighed and I then wash it off later. I have also used net bags for quite a few years which are drawstring and washable in the machine. The weight of each bag is negligible so not a problem when going through the till. I saw the other day that Lakeland do a pack of 5 for £6.99 (product number 73241). A bit of an outlay but as I said before I have been using mine for at least 5 years so pretty good

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 10:34:59 PM »

Oh good thread!  Where do you buy paper bags?  I asked my grocers but they weren't telling but a lady in front of me had taken hers to be re-filled.  We try to use the butchers but they still put stuff into plastic bags unless 1 specifically asks.  I take paper bags to Mum at the Home as she likes them to put her used pads into. 

I think I began a similar thread ages ago ....... it's something we need to keep in the forefront of daily shopping etc..  We often go to Charity shops and buy hessian etc. because we forget other bags so have plenty around the house. 

I tend to get bags from the bread area to put fruit and veg into but looking at the shelves last week, everything is in plastic!  Our LA have a very good re-cyling kerb-pick-up collection service and we build our own compost in the garden.

I'll have a look round the house.  It's the 'plastic' bags that aren't plastic, i.e that crisps and muesli are sold in, that are the hardest to re-cycle  ::)

Gangan

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 07:32:53 AM »

Walkers are starting a scheme where you can recycle your crisp packets and any others too i think.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-45759712

Gangan

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 09:36:15 AM »

The weekend paper supplements are wrapped in plastic. Our monthly camping magazines are now wrapped in rice plastic which will compost.

Tins in the cupboard - food keeps years and the tin can be recycled.
Newspapers and cardboard - into the recycling bin for kerb collection or our compost

Everything else: packets of nails, Grandad used to buy as many as he required - now it's 5 or 10 in a plastic/cardboard holder.  Nail files - covered in a plastic sheath.  Greetings cards - plastic covered. 

Biros; shampoo bottles; squeezy washing up bottles; cling-film over meat products on a tray ....... even post cards are plastic coated so that they no longer tear easily to go into the compost  ::)

Shadyglade

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 09:36:59 AM »

I have started buying paper sandwich bags and try to avoid plastic as much as possible. However I have discovered that much of the stuff that we put in our recycling box is not recycled at all.  >:(
I do think that it's diabolical that it's the consumer that has to take the lead in this.

I have also read that the worry about plastic is a distraction and we should worry more about greenhouse gases. That's the biggest danger apparently.

Hayho, what do we know.  ???

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2018, 09:38:03 AM »

Brian Cox told us on TV last week that humans will die out anyway ........ so LIVE GIRLS, LIVE  ;D

ariadne

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2018, 10:13:05 AM »

I have also read that the worry about plastic is a distraction and we should worry more about greenhouse gases. That's the biggest danger apparently.

Hayho, what do we know.  ???

That too yes, but after seeing photos of seas and shores overflowing with plastic, not to mention the poor creatures swallowing it, we must try our hardest to reduce it. I admit it's not easy because some products just can't be placed naked onto shelves or fridges and cardboard and paper isn't always suitable.

I like the idea of taking a container to the butchers. Good idea 😊

Ariadne xx

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2018, 03:05:11 PM »

Supermarkets are encouraging own-use plastic boxes etc..  Until they get used to wrapping items in paper as we did years ago it's the 2nd best way?  Trouble is, remembering to take the boxes as far as the counter  ;D

Stop buying pet food pouches?  Expensive way of buying food as well as not being able to recycle them.  Tins are far better value and can be washed and recycled. 

JaneinPen

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2018, 03:24:29 PM »

I recorded The Prince at 70 and it was interesting because in the 70's (maybe 80's) he was made fun of during one of his speeches because he talked about plastic and what impact it would have. He got laughed at a lot when he was younger, still does today by many but he was talking sense because now look at what is happening
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8