Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Stiffness/trigger thumb fingers  (Read 2085 times)

Annika

Stiffness/trigger thumb fingers
« on: October 12, 2018, 06:43:21 PM »

Spending too much time using my mouse my thumb is really giving me grief especially at night it wakes me up with pain. I spoke to the doctor he feels its arthritis but it came on so sudden I think its trigger thumb because it locks and sometimes doesn't bend at all. Now my other fingers have started doing the same. Has anyone else had a problem with this? I'm curious as to how long this is going to last before seeking more invasive medical help. I have been using a splint at night and some NSAIDS for pain/swelling.

Shadyglade

Re: Stiffness/trigger thumb fingers
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 07:34:08 PM »

Over the years I have had two bouts of this. The first time I noticed it when walking our now departed dog. I gripped the lead and noticed pain in my fingers. It later spread to my other hand. It lasted several weeks on both occasions. The first time I was at the point of making a doctors appointment when it started to go. Strangely one finger at a time.

It was really painful, making it difficult to do things like peeling vegetables. I have know idea if it is arthritis related but luckily it was relatively short lived on both occasions.

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 11:43:39 PM »

My fingers lock but without pain
They go stiff and point down 180deg

It happened a few times at work on Tuesday and freaked the girl out who sits next to me x

Annika

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 11:50:36 PM »

Thanks ladies for your replies..well today I saw the Orthopedic doctor and he says its trigger finger which has now spread to my ring finger same hand. He suggested we try cortisone shots and NSAIDS. Painful as they were I had several shots in the base of my thumb and ring finger that was this morning and I cannot feel my hand its numb, actually not feeling the pain is better.  My thumb is still triggering/jerking so at this stage who knows if its working.  He made me another appointment in three weeks to come back for another round..oh Joy not looking forward to that. If this doesn't work the next step will be surgery, really hoping it doesn't get that far I'm such a chicken,lol   ::) Getting old is not fun thats for sure.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 10:11:47 AM »

OUCH!  As we age the tendon sheath dries out and may cause trigger [usually] thumb ........ steroids should reduce any inflammation within the tendon sheath.  Hope it works!