Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Vagifem side effects/bad reaction after 1st one?  (Read 15117 times)

Katejo

Re: Vagifem side effects/bad reaction after 1st one?
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2018, 04:58:04 PM »

Thanks.
I've got an appointment next week so I'll see how I get on in the meantime.
Haven't got much faith in gp tbh. I think she was going to give me meds for overactive bladder until I mentioned atrophy.  I've made a double appointment slot and might take hubby with me as well.

If things don't improve I might have to give the vagifem another shot as I'll have nothing to lose.

Meantime I'm throwing everything at this. Even though it's not a uti tonight I've taken cystitis sachets, d mannose, antihistamine and ibuprofen.

People just don't talk about this do they? I've mentioned it to a few people and they have never heard of this and don't understand.
After suffering badly over the weekend with cystitis like symptoms, I used Vagifem yesterday morning and things improved over the day. By this morning it was much better so I used it again today. I  then went to the GP practice for my flu jab. It was done by their new pharmacist so I took the opportunity to ask her view on using Vagifem more than twice in the week (after the initial 2 weeks). She said she understood that I had tried the correct procedure but it wasn't enough. However she would have to speak to my GP about me using it more than twice a week. She suggested 3 times but no more. She said she would ask the GP to ring me tomorrow about it. She did at least say that I would get another prescription. I have almost run out of the first one.

I really hope that things get better for you. I agree that most people don't talk about it but  do occasionally chat to 1 colleague who is a couple of years older than I am.

Blot

« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2018, 05:16:34 PM »

Hi Dancinggirl. No I haven't seen a urologist. I've had a pelvic scan and they looked at the bladder.
I don't think I've got an overactive bladder tbh. I think it might be atrophy but I could be wrong. It's more of a soreness and now I don't feel like I need to go all the time, although when I do need to go it's a bit painful - not painful to wee, just the pressure.

I think I panicked when I used the vagifem because I felt more sore and uncomfortable and got really anxious, which does make me pee more. And when I was peeing it was proper volumes, not just drops if you know what I mean. I'm finding it hard to believe that one little tablet caused all that bother?

I'm going to give it a few days and maybe try again when I'm not at work, and use it in the morning so I can cope better if I have stinging etc. I can't go back to docs if I haven't given it a proper go. I can't use the actigel though, it stings too much.

Thank you Katejo. I'm glad you are feeling a bit better. I don't see how your gp can object to this if it is relieving your symptoms.

Blot

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2018, 09:12:12 AM »

Well I decided to give it another go and have used the vagifem this morning.

Does it matter how high you insert it? Last time I put it in very high up but this time not so high. I'm a bit of a nervous wreck, which always makes me want to pee more but hopefully I can tolerate it this time.

Katejo

« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2018, 01:59:29 PM »

Well I decided to give it another go and have used the vagifem this morning.

Does it matter how high you insert it? Last time I put it in very high up but this time not so high. I'm a bit of a nervous wreck, which always makes me want to pee more but hopefully I can tolerate it this time.
Good luck with it Blot! Let us know how it goes. I don't know if it makes a difference. I pushed it as far as it naturally wanted to go without any discomfort/resistance.

Blot

« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2018, 03:03:09 PM »

Thanks Katejo.

Much better than last time. I'm still sore but no worse than I was before and haven't been running to loo all day. It also hasn't fallen out lol.

I was just wondering if you still get the full effect if it's not right up high. I didn't want to push it as far as it would go like I did last time in case it gave me the same problems.

Katejo

« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2018, 03:16:40 PM »

Thanks Katejo.

Much better than last time. I'm still sore but no worse than I was before and haven't been running to loo all day. It also hasn't fallen out lol.

I was just wondering if you still get the full effect if it's not right up high. I didn't want to push it as far as it would go like I did last time in case it gave me the same problems.
I don't know the answer to this Blot. Maybe someone else will?

dahliagirl

« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2018, 10:03:48 PM »

I have been using it lower down, at the front where it is near my bladder (rather than my bowel - you need to look at sideways diagrams)

When I have used it every day, I alternate.

Hope it goes well for you.  If my bladder is irritated, then I drink plenty of water during a day, to get my bladder full and stretch it a little - it calms things (you need a day where you can be close to the loo  ::) )

Blot

« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2018, 07:08:40 AM »

Well what a dreadful night I've had. In and out of sleep and sore and burning all night. Been really hot as well. I was dreaming a lot and can't be sure if my many symptoms were actually real but I know for sure the pain was.

The idea of using the vagifem in the morning was so I could deal with symptoms better during the day but that didn't work. I don't know if it starts to work immediately or as soon as it dissolves but I was OK during the day yesterday and it got worse in the evening closer to bedtime which would be 12 hours after insertion.

I'm a bit better now and I'm going to use the vagifem again this morning and see what happens.

I know the list of side effects is just everything under the sun but can vagifem really cause weight gain and hair loss? Surely its too small of a dose and too localised to do this?

I'm just trying to understand what's going on but have to give it a proper go no matter how miserable its making me and I have a million and one questions.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 12:44:28 PM by Blot »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2018, 07:41:06 AM »

Blot - I don't think it's necessarily the Vagifem causing your problems. You are very anxious about using this so I suspect you are clenching and when the urethra is sore and inflamed (which happens following an infection or as a result of atrophy) then the clenching makes things worse.
We are told to do pelvic floor exercises but we are seldom told to practise completely relaxing our pelvic floor.
I assume you taking showers, not baths, and taking great care not to let anything perfumed( especially shampoo) get anywhere near your intimate area? Are you avoiding caffiene, fruit juices and highly acidic foods?
You also need to try and put your feet up and completely relax your pelvic region for half and hour in the middle of the day if possible.
I also suspect your vaginal flora is out if balance. I do know that Multi Gyn Actigel stings after application but have you tried using a small amount on the end of your finger and pushing this up inside 2-3 times a day and, after inserting the gel, wet some kitchen roll with cold water and hold this to your intimate area,  for about a minute, to cool the area and help it to relax?
I know my urethra is very sensitive and will react to any changes in the flora and this will make me burn and want to pee.
I use a whole variety of strategies to keep things comfortable and by using the Vagifem every 3 days with Multi Gyn (occasionally when needed) and Sylk every day, I can control things most of the time. I still get up to pee between 3-4 times at night because that seems to be when my bladder fills up.
Sitting too long, getting very hot around my intimate area, tight trousers and of course sex, all tend to trigger problems.
BUT relaxing and letting the air get to my intimate area really helps.
BTW - do not wear pajama bottoms or pants in bed. DG x

Blot

« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2018, 09:11:27 AM »

Thanks Dancinggirl.

It probably isn't the vagifem causing the problems but I am so anxious about all of this and can't think about anything else. I've got to give it a proper go.

I am just baffled about the symptoms and doubting at times  whether this is VA. I'm second guessing everything.

I apologise as well as I do go on a bit, but this is the only place I can discuss it.

I feel kind of full inside the vagina, maybe swollen and sore? Does that make any sense? I didn't start out like this though, I just felt like I needed to pee all the time and this soreness started about a month later. So now I've got both. Is this VA?

Ive cut out caffeine, have a small caffeine free coffee occasionally and no fruit juices. Can't identify any food or drinks that set me off. Wine makes no difference but I've decided to stop that as well.

The multi gyn hurt for a good hour after I last used it and I thought it aggravated things so not keen to use it. Mind I did use the applicator and probably squirted too much in. Waiting for my free sample if sylk to try.

How soon after using the vagifem can I use the other stuff? Bearing in mind I am doing mornings.

Being sweaty down below doesn't help things I agree. I suffer at work where its hot and we wear trousers with our uniform. Going to look for a suitable skirt for coolness. I wear loose fitting cotton PJs for bed. I can't wear nothing as my legs stick together and I get too hot.

Got a double slot appointment at docs next week so planning on taking hubby with me to discuss things. He's good and asks loads of relevant questions. I'll only have been using the vagifem for a week by then, after a false start last week, but my last appointment was too rushed and I wasn't very impressed.

I think I could do with being on an anti anxiety med but I'm very reluctant to do that. Another long story!

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate all the support so much because its not something you can discuss in real life.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 12:46:58 PM by Blot »

Blot

« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2018, 05:20:13 PM »

Day 4 and things still no different.
Well that's not strictly true.  I've had a few hours here and there that have been ok. But still sore and uncomfortable. Look a bit red down there but the sylk is helping a bit. Bladder not too bad  just this soreness getting me down.

I shall carry on until wed when I go back to docs and see whether she advises to carry on and if she can give me anything to help.

I had an epic meltdown on Thursday. Cried for hours. Cried a bit more on Friday but managed to hold it together for my half day at work.

Please tell me it gets better and that I'm not a total lost cause.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 06:05:27 AM by Blot »

Blot

« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2018, 07:40:41 AM »

Well not a good day yesterday and another awful night  :'(

I am really thinking of just stopping this and seeing how I get on. I just can't think of anything else.

Dierdre

« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2018, 08:06:56 AM »

I can't use sylk, multi gyn, coconut oil without burning and lots of irritation. I think you should just use the Vagifem and see if things improve then introduce one thing at a time so you know what is ok and what causes irritation. The only moisturisor I can tolerate is YES, it's organic without chemicals and you can get it on prescription.

Blot

« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2018, 09:47:54 AM »

I seem to be ok with the sylk but multi gyn burns too much.

Can't wait till Wednesday to see the doctor but I just know I'm going to burst into tears and not be able to speak  :'(

Blot

« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2018, 10:37:09 AM »

Thanks Sparkle. I am not using the multi gyn any more.

Did the vagifem make things worse to start with? That's what's so disheartening and makes me think that I am allergic to the fillers.

My doc will probably just go along with what I want but I need some proper informed advice.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6