Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Vagifem side effects/bad reaction after 1st one?  (Read 14679 times)

Blot

Vagifem side effects/bad reaction after 1st one?
« on: October 05, 2018, 02:38:57 AM »

Had first vagifem before bed last night and not sure if this is normal. Almost straight away I felt uncomfortable but just thought I had inserted it too far or something. Then within 2 hours I had an intense burning/stinging in the V  and feel like I need to pee constantly. Must have been 5 times for a wee and have also taken some ibuprofen which haven't helped.

I am regretting taking this now as my symptoms had improved and now are as bad as ever  :'( and I've been awake all night.

Surely I can't be reacting this way after just one dose and so quickly? I know you are supposed to persevere for the first two weeks but don't think I can cope with this, especially as I was feeling ok as well.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 07:21:54 AM by Blot »

Dancinggirl

Re: Vagifem side effects/bad reaction after 1st one?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 07:30:20 AM »

I suspect you are expecting side effects ? Do you use any vaginal moisturiser? Inserting the Vagifem may have grazed some delicate skin internally if it's very atrophied. I got stinging with the first couple of weeks of treatment and I think this is to do with the fillers - the skin is so fragile due to the lack of oestrogen. I use a little SYLK just around the entrance and a bit inside to aid insertion and to prevent my skin reacting to the fillers - though you shouldn't use too much moisturiser or it will prevent absorption of the oestrogen.  Some women do find that they need to pee more when they first use Vagifem and sometimes there can be a bit of cramping or even spotting - the initial hit of oestrogen can give a reaction( as with any hormonal treatments)  but once the oestrogen has plumped everything up to make the whole area healthier you should feel the benefits.
Don't take painkillers, drink plenty of water but try not to drink too much through the evening.
Perhaps take a Nytol tonight (not the herbal one but the one from behind the chemist counter) so you sleep better. The antihistamine in Nytol can have a calming effect in the bladder.
Do persevere - it will be worth it.
DG x

Blot

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 07:45:37 AM »

Thanks. I don't feel dry inside at all. No problems inserting and I can even put a tampon in and out no bother (I tried to see if I was dry).

I'm so disappointed because my symptoms were quite mild and this has ramped them up to another level. I thought it wouldn't do any harm, not make things worse.

I'll have a think about it and see if things calm down today. At least I've got the vagifem. I may wait a few days and restart if things don't improve. Off to get some multi gyn actigel as well so I'll get some nytol when I'm there.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 12:52:42 PM »

It may be the capsule or the fillers that you are reacting to.  Put the product into the search box and see if anyone has mentioned soreness.  When I use the Ovestin - inserted by a syringe action rather than a capsule - I feel like I need to pee the next day but have fortunately not had burning.

Why no pain killers  :-\

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 01:34:28 PM »

CKLD - I say no painkillers as NDAIDs are very acidic so will aggregate the bladder and paracetamol doesn't do anything anyway.
There was a very thorough trial done not long ago on the effectiveness of paracetamol and it showed that paracetamol had no more benefit that placebo and in fact carried risks to the liver and kidneys. I believe that NICE subsequently wanted to remove paracetamol from the NHS drugs list (enormous amount spent prescribing this) but GPs asked to keep paracetamol on the list as they needed something to offer patients even if it didn't help.   It would probably be safer to dish out sugar pills or maybe vitamin d pills?
I found the paper on this trial easily by googling ‘does paracetamol work' and I believe this trial was done by a doctor called Cochrane??
DG x

Blot

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 01:38:19 PM »

Interesting about the painkillers DG. I don't usually take paracetamol because they don't work but I do take ibuprofen.

Seems like I'm in the minority on here regarding the soreness but a few have mentioned it. I could put up with headaches or other side effects but to make my symptoms (that I was using it for in the first place) a lot worse is just not worth it. I'm even scared to use the multi gyn actigel in case it makes things worse.

I must have been to the toilet 6 times between 1 and 7 am. That's no exaggeration.

dahliagirl

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 01:43:10 PM »

I have always found that not enough vagifem is worst.

I didn't do the full load properly, then went onto 2 per week and I was always having problems.  I reloaded, then went onto every other day and now use it 2-3 times per week.  It works best once you have used enough of it to be stable.

The actigel helped me through it.

Blot

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 02:18:53 PM »

If my symptoms were bad to start with, I'd use it. I'd have nothing to lose. I'd give it a good go and if it didn't help then fair enough.

But to make the thing that I'm supposed to be helping a lot worse than it's been lately? No.

I will see if things calm down and have a rethink.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 02:37:13 PM »

I could take a bottle of Paracetamol - it would kill me but I have never found it useful.  Nurofen eases symptoms, maybe Blot speak to a Pharmacist about options.   My Gran swore by Bicarb of soda, bathing in it as well as drinking it, she also used it as a paste on burns.

Do try Ovestin if symptoms are bothersome.  If the tissues are thinning localised HRT will relief it as it plumps up the area ....... or perhaps look at the threads on Sylc and Yes products?

Robin

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 02:43:57 PM »

I use estring as there are none of the fillers that make my va worse

Joaniepat

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 02:50:11 PM »

I agree with Robin, an Estring might be the best thing if the fillers in Vagifem are making things too painful.
JP x

Katejo

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2018, 08:09:01 PM »

Interesting about the painkillers DG. I don't usually take paracetamol because they don't work but I do take ibuprofen.

Seems like I'm in the minority on here regarding the soreness but a few have mentioned it. I could put up with headaches or other side effects but to make my symptoms (that I was using it for in the first place) a lot worse is just not worth it. I'm even scared to use the multi gyn actigel in case it makes things worse.

I must have been to the toilet 6 times between 1 and 7 am. That's no exaggeration.
Blot. I will write you a longer reply tomorrow.  Only have phone  now. Have also had soreness since yesterday and slept badly. Possibly because my dose is too low? Now only taking 2 per week. Will put another in tonight.

Blot

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2018, 08:39:00 AM »

Thanks.  Had a good nights sleep last night. Didn't even get up once.

How was your start up with vagifem Katejo? Did it make things worse?

I'm having a think about what to do. I may start again but do it when I'm not at work.

CLKD that's interesting that you feel the need to wee for 24 hours after using Ovestin. That's the main reason I got them, to stop this feeling, so if you are using twice a week then you get this feeling twice a week?

Not keen on the estring option.

Dierdre

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2018, 09:00:21 AM »

Sounds like the fillers have irritated  and caused this reaction. Perhaps try Ovestin instead. I use both Vagifem and Ovestin but the only time I need to pee more is when I've forgot to take or need to take more. Try using YES moisturisor also, it's on prescription or you can order online, this is the only one I can use that doesn't irritate. Vagifem caused me cramps in the first couple of weeks but then settled and Ovestin can sting when first used especially if you are very sore but this does settle once it starts doing the job.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 09:04:00 AM by Dierdre »

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2018, 09:38:33 AM »

I was lucky and didn't get any stinging etc..  I take 1 Nurofen capsule to ease any symptoms of urgency and it doesn't last. 

Glad you had sleep last night !  I did.  But oh the dreams  >:(  :-X

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6