Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Losing your looks  (Read 25235 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Losing your looks
« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2018, 03:27:39 PM »

4 me VA was like razor blades up there  :o  >:( localised HRT did the trick  ;) - not 2B confused with other forms of HRT.

knorman

« Reply #91 on: June 02, 2018, 05:06:59 PM »

I let my hair go grey about 4 years ago, due to the CFS/ME and love the freedom of not having to go to the hairdresser every month to get those roots covered over. Still get my hair cut every 8 weeks, but its a lot cheaper now! As I've reluctantly had to give up work (hoping to go back part-time one day), I look like an old bag lady most days. And I remember in my teens, if I didn't have any make up on (rare!)not opening the front door if no one else was in to get it. Its lovely not giving a stuff anymore, but not sure this is just due to the menopause/current illness, probably a natural scruff as I've got older.  Still make the effort if I occasionally do something social, but hate putting make up on and having to blow dry my hair, but not completely given in to my old bag lady tendencies, give it a few years. Just have to hide those arms!

dangermouse

« Reply #92 on: June 02, 2018, 05:58:12 PM »

Just had a thought though... that my skin may look younger because my eyesight's got worse.  8)

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #93 on: June 02, 2018, 06:06:38 PM »

Hi knorman

I know what you mean, tops of my arms are the same, it looks like there's
cellulite coming at the top, and when I bend down to pick something up, if a catch a glance
I can see wrinkles starting to come. I hate it, I'm now not liking my little vest tops that I wear in
the summer, every time I put one on I take it off and put a t-shirt on instead , which the
sleeves don't cover it all up , but does look a bit better, or I wear a cardigan.
I use to go to the gym and lift weights and was quite firm, not muscles, but defined, and now
the tops of my arms and legs are wobbly.   :-\
I still put make up on everyday, and I have no choice but to blow dry my hair every morning,
because when I get up, it looks like a mop.! Lol but I think, if I was to give that up , well,
I might as well lie down n die....lol... I'm a firm believer in ‘never give up'.

Jd x

Joaniepat

« Reply #94 on: June 02, 2018, 07:13:52 PM »

:rofl: Nice one, dangermouse.
jd, I do arm exercises (some with weights) while waiting for my HRT gels to dry. Arms still look skinny and wrinkled though, I only do it to pass the time. I'd be better off standing there reading a book  >:(
JP x

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #95 on: June 02, 2018, 07:58:52 PM »

Jp, hahaha, I have got two bottles water in my bedroom
that I used to swing about, but one day my OH walked in and I nearly
knocked him out.. :rofl:
I fell about laffing....lol
I must add, I didn't see him walk in, i didn't do it on purpose.. ;D
Ever since then I haven't touched em...

Jd x

Emerald2017

« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2018, 08:39:35 AM »

The more I read the more I'm convinced that we absolutely need our estrogen longterm. It is not just for helping to maintain our looks but for our longterm health.
I don't think that our bodies can survive for long after meno and we don't produce estradiol after meno, only estriol due to body fat we gain.
Actually as our looks I think that age mainly affects us and not only meno.

Hinari hot flush

« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2018, 10:46:48 AM »

I've got the arms issue! It started when peri peaked a couple of years ago where I can see cellulite now and I look more chunky in strappy tops. Prior to that I only had it on my thighs and bum and never put weight on above my waist. My face looks a bit younger, possibly due to surging oestrogen, than a few years ago as haven't changed my moisturiser. It's the only good thing about the high oestrogen right now! Gone up 2 breast sizes too.

My older friends who've been through meno are split into half that didn't notice much then or now and those who'd suffered terribly in peri but who said they feel the best they've ever felt post meno. They didn't take HRT as it wasn't advised as much 5-10 years ago.

I don't know anyone who's had VA (didn't know what it was until read about it here!) but maybe not something people talk so much about!

Think the arms happens to the best of us. I know women who work out and have flabby arms. Good for you still wearing a strappy top I call them essential in this weather with the hot flushes and I wish I had a young glow about my skin.

How are you coping with the bigger boobs as Ive had that too takes a bit of getting used to at first?

I think VA is kept on the downlow. Ive not got it but its the old saying if you dont use it you loose it. I still enjoy me time if you know what I mean ;)

dangermouse

« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2018, 12:42:51 PM »

Haha! I like the water bottle story Jillydoll.  ;D

I went from D cup to F cup when they measured me in Debenhams and the lady guided me to the special area for bigger busts  :o

I used to get away with no bra before in holiday tops but can’t now so yes prefer a bit smaller.

My oestrogen is definitely nowhere near low so it must be ageing in terms of collagen slackening and weight gain starts in puberty when hormones are all high. Men also have the same but when they get older as their skin is thicker.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 12:52:21 PM by dangermouse »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #99 on: June 03, 2018, 08:54:08 PM »

Emerald - don't worry too much, my female family and in-Laws are all long lived, that is, into their late 80s early 90s  ;).   Grandads however, died young.

Emerald2017

« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2018, 05:04:57 AM »

Thank you CLKD! 💐

Hinari hot flush

« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2018, 02:19:53 PM »

I went from D cup to F cup when they measured me in Debenhams and the lady guided me to the special area for bigger busts  :o

I used to get away with no bra before in holiday tops but can't now so yes prefer a bit smaller.

My oestrogen is definitely nowhere near low so it must be ageing in terms of collagen slackening and weight gain starts in puberty when hormones are all high. Men also have the same but when they get older as their skin is thicker.
Tell me about its like entering a new foreign land the first visit to the big bra section!! And you dont realise youve grew so much.

Ive not went braless for years been failing the pencil test since i was 18.

Collagen slacking and gravity taking its hold is a big pain.

Sorry do you mean youve gained weight too?

dangermouse

« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2018, 09:50:27 PM »

I lost 2 stone really quickly 2 years ago (within a couple of months) as nausea was so bad. I went to just over 8 stone.

I then ate myself back up to 10 stone and now I’m nearer 11 stone because I’ve struggled to lose weight even with very low calorie (which obviously worked before!). I think my metabolism was affected by the fast weight loss and it’s taking time to recover. I can eat 900 calories and have put another pound on - been using fitbit strictly with 500 cal deficit per day and calories in vs calories out is not working for me!

I’m trying to eat more to heal metabolism and cutting starch right now so having lots of sat fats, protein and fruit. Apparently the combo of fat and sugar will get the furnace burning!

Anyway, long answer (sorry!) so yes have put on weight but bust had got bigger in last 5 years which I suspect is high oestrogen related for me.

Wilks

« Reply #103 on: June 05, 2018, 05:52:21 AM »

Exercise is the best way to boost your metabolism  :)

knorman

« Reply #104 on: June 05, 2018, 08:40:52 AM »

jillydoll, I have been struggling with the heat as I don't want to wear tops without sleeves (I think I also have extra loose skin from losing weight) and all my lovely summer dresses without sleeves.  However, I think I have reached the 'sod it' stage, I can't not ever wear a sleeveless top, or pretty dress when its warm because of what other people think.  I will just have to keep my arms firmly by my side, the outsides still look very toned, which is weird. Or rely on dangermouse's theory re: eyesight, good one!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10