Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Testim gel or oestrogel causing hairiness?  (Read 3882 times)

GypsyRoseLee

Testim gel or oestrogel causing hairiness?
« on: September 18, 2016, 04:52:36 PM »

For the last 3 months I have applied my 4 pumps to the inside of my thighs. I also apply a blob of testim gel just under my navel.

These last few weeks I have noticed that my thighs are definitely much hairier! Especially in the area where I apply the oestrogel.

I'm not hairier anywhere else, and I'm not more spotty or have greasier hair. My voice hasn't changed, so I don't think it's the testim?

Could it be the oestrogel? Or is just completely unconnected and just part of getting older?

Hurdity

Re: Testim gel or oestrogel causing hairiness?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 04:59:25 PM »

I doubt it's the oestrogel - but I don't know enough about the detailed side effects - I don't think it is listed? It is a known side effect from testosterone application. I get hair growth at the application site (on inner thigh but also on stomach) - but also some distance from it too ie round the back of the thighs. Testosterone is readily transported through the skin - where I presume there are lots of T receptors. It is a local reaction to increased concentration. It won't be affecting the rest of your body because serum levels will be within the range for women ie by the time it's transported into the blood stream it will be diluted if you see what I mean? I just shave it off and get it brown!

Hurdity x

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 05:17:13 PM »

Thanks Hurdity. I am getting lots of hairs on the backs of my thighs too. I am booked in to have a full leg wax next week.

Tempest

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 08:39:43 PM »

Ahhh! Sorry - I didn't realise you already have experience of the Testosterone, GRL! I've been preaching to the converted! Feel an idiot now, please excuse me. xxxx

unicornpoop

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 12:38:31 PM »

Hi all!  :) I'm new here and considering staring Hurdys regime of estradot patches and if i can get a prescription from a private Dr, testim gel. I am 49, no periods for the last 12 months and have had zero libido for the past 2 years, my essential lady bit, seems to have shrunk in on itself, I have had excessive hair loss and struggled with low mood and confidence, weight gain as well as poor sleep and occasional bouts of acne. I now have noticeable downy facial hair on the cheek/jaw area. Hot flushes occasionally.

I would love to know if anyone else has developed facial hair before trying hrt regime and if they can comment if using estradot and testim gel has made it worse/improved it, or whether it just stayed the same. Any advice gratefully received! :-* Thank-you xxx 

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 07:17:06 PM »

Hi unicornpoop

:welcomemm:

You don't need to see a private doctor to get Estradot patches (and unless you have a Mirena coil you need a progestogen to protect the womb) but it is hit and miss whether you will also get testosterone on NHS as there is no product available that is licensed for women. It is important to make sure you replace oestrogen at an adequate level before introducing testosterone so the two hormones are balanced.

Your reduced libido may well point to low testosterone - unless you are taking meds such as anti-depressants for example which also lower libido. The increased hairiness on face shows that your oestrogen level has dropped considerably and more than your testosterone ( this is particularly noticeably around menopause) - so the ratio of T to O increases - leading to some unwanted androgenic characteristics such as facial hair, fat around the middle rather than hips. Provided you replace oestrogen adequately first for a few months and see how you feel, then adding a small amount of T should be beneficial and not lead to side effects ( except hair growth at the application site possibly). If you look in the Private Lives section there is a long-running thread I started called "Testosterone Here we go" where some of this is discussed. It goes off topic for a bit but then comes back.

Re facial hair - I've never had much unwanted facial hair - just a few dark hairs on upper lip and one hair between lower lip and chin which I have to pull out every now and again (!) - but these were coming before the T anyway. However I never was a hiary person ( in the wrong place) and had lots of it where it should be ie head, underarms etc, and hardly any on legs (I do have hairy thighs now - but easy to shave these off!).

You will probably also need something like Vagifem or an estriol cream for the vaginal area, as well as the HRT - all available on NHS. If you look at the Treatments tab on the menu it gives all the vaginal preparations.

It would be a good idea to have a basic blood tests though - not for menopause but to check if there other reasons for your hair loss and sleep problems - eg vitamin/mineral deficiencies, thyroid problems etc so do ask for these when you ask about HRT.

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x