Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Thinning Hair  (Read 2344 times)

hunnisett565

Thinning Hair
« on: November 05, 2017, 09:11:28 AM »

Anyone had success with anything to help their thinning hair?

I am on Minoxidil, do i persevere ? £30 a month....

Really gets me down some days!

jaycee

Re: Thinning Hair
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 09:21:32 AM »

Hi, is the Minoxodil doing any good? have you had a thyroid test, thyroid problems can cause thinning hair although saying that i have no thyroid problems but my hair is much thinner too these last couple of years, but i maybe older than you, but my Dr thought that was that was my problem at first and tested me for it

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 11:07:44 AM »

MY hair started thinning when I hit post meno.  I had thyroid tests, ferritin was 46, not great but not disastrous either.  I tried minoxidil but gave up as I knew I'd not be committed for life.  Hair thinning/loss is a symptom of low testosterone so given that I had all the other symptoms I tried that along with clip in hair.  My hair isn't fantastic but is better since starting testosterone x

ellie

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 05:41:29 PM »

If you use Minoxidil and it helps, you will have to go on using it, because if you stop your hair will revert to how it was before.

hunnisett565

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 10:09:07 PM »

Hi everyone

My only concern is using it for sooooo long ?....have only been on it for a few months some haven't been using it for very long and have been told at leat 18 months for any improvement, and yes I am not sure if I can keep it up for that long, and maybe forever !

Clips sound like a good idea.. Where do you get yours from?.

I will ask about my thyroid and ferritin levels so thank you for that.

What do you take to up your testosterone Annie?

Thanks
Hunnymummy x

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 10:43:06 PM »

My gp asked nhs gynae about me trying testosterone gel and they agreed x

hoping4best

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 03:44:19 AM »

I have been taking minoxidil for about 16 months. My shedding is as bad as it's ever been, but somehow the minoxidil seems to help keep my part a little tighter. I really hate how it makes my scalp feel, and the daily forever of it, but I can tolerate it to keep more of my hair (it's about half what it was when I went into sudden meno at 38, am now almost 43). I take it once in the morning, either liquid or foam, depending on my mood. I have a scalp pathologist who says it's ok to take a day off once in a while, so I do.

I have tried testosterone in the past, but it was at the same time that I started higher doses of HRT, and my hair started falling out then. My doc discontinued the T, thinking it was the culprit, but my hair just kept falling out. So I think the T was a red herring. I just restarted T a week ago, because my hair is already shedding so much anyway. Maybe it will help, or at least help my lack of response and social anxiety.

I am in the US and I use generic minoxidil 5%, once per day.  The liquid is about $6-8 per month, not bad!

Annie0710

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 06:20:21 AM »

Hi Hoping4best

I think you're maybe the only other sufferer on here apart from me who meno has given social anxiety

Testosterone helped massively for a while but in recent weeks I've noticed it creeping back..... I hate it and makes me feel so unfriendly which in my natural state I'm such a friendly person x

hunnisett565

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 10:11:18 PM »

Hi

Well you can add another one to that social anxiety group!

I too have at times "reclused myself"...am not so into going out or even arranging nights out or times out with my friends who I have had for years.  If I do I sometimes come back and don't feel I have enjoyed it.  Same goes with social things at work, not interested, have told them I don't want to go on a Xmas do...don't even walk up to the local shop anymore as can't be bothered getting into crap chit chat with people.  I have never been like this, always been a social outgoing friendly person, and now lose my patience with people, lose interest in them and then sometimes feel I am not interesting anymore so why would they bother listening to me !

All very weird and I don't like the person I am becoming.  I am so impatient at work, been in this job three years ( a miracle as the last 5 yrs changed my job so much..another peri problem now I realise).

Hoping things improve. 

Hunnymummy x