Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Flax  (Read 4149 times)

Cassie

Flax
« on: October 31, 2017, 02:20:48 PM »

Do any ladies use flax seed, do you grind it or use it whole? I was wanting to try it as need some sort of Omega 3 intake but the oil makes me ill. I am just concerned have read that it has small traces of cyanide in but I am guessing then so do almonds and other foods, and also concerned as it is supposed to have phyto oestrogen properties, I dont want it reducing nor enhancing my HRT effectiveness....am happy with the dosage as it is...any thoughts on this  :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Flax
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 03:37:07 PM »

I eat a good quality granola each morning.  I tried flax seeds but couldn't get them crushed no matter how hard I tried  ;D.  I did eat Bergen bread for a while but it didn't keep. 

If the Omega 3 makes you ill, ditch it. 

If you put 'flax' in to the search box any threads should pop up!

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 03:00:27 PM »

:thankyou:

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 03:52:39 PM »

I know ..........  :whist:

Cassie - what did you decide?

My Dad was involved with flax .........

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 04:12:30 PM »

When I was peri-menopausal and trying the high phyto-oestrogen diet (pre-HRT days) I used to buy all sorts of seeds - one of the mixes from H&B and read that some of them ( was it flax or linseed or both) were indigestible so best to have them ground. Well - the effect on my gut was - er - interesting - to say the least  :o. I soon ditched them!

I did read somewhere also that phyto-oestrogens may compete with estradiol for oestrogen receptors - can't remember where so don't take that as gospel but somehow I've retained in my memory that phyto-oestrogen supplements are not best taken along with HRT. Not sure that eating the actual foods would be as much of a problem if there is one - it's just that supplements are of course very concentrated so you're eating a lot of the active ingredient.

Hurdity x

Katia

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 06:24:42 PM »

I've tried them. I sprinkled them in smoothies and in yogurt and berries. I never noticed a difference. I'd forgotten about them. I did read on the wavy hair community that they make great hair gel  ;D. I think flax and ok seeds are the same thing

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 06:35:28 PM »

linseed is flax  :-\

People often consume flaxseed meal for health purposes. This substance comes from the seeds of the Linum usitatissimum plant, an annual plant that likely originated in Egypt. Flaxseed also goes by the common name of linseed. Flaxseed meal and linseed meal are the same substance – the only difference is in the name.

15 Apr 2015
- Wikipedia ;-)   Flax growing in the fields are pale blue, like sunflowers they follow the sunshine and turn their 'heads', closing up on dull days.  I have grown deep red flowers too.  Grown for linen use.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 06:37:03 PM by CLKD »

Katia

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 06:59:14 PM »

Yes CLKD in meant flax and lo seeds not ok seeds lol. Gotta love autocorrect and my typing on a Friday evening  ;D ;D ;D

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 08:09:58 PM »

Looks like it  ::)

Katia

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 08:17:39 PM »

Gosh, autocorrect really doesn't like linseeds

dangermouse

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 04:36:45 PM »

I use the Linwood ground flaxseeds which helps to clear oestrogen from the bowel quicker. Think that's good for meno too as the old circulating oestrogen is not good for anyone.

I've never had a laxative effect with it but I only use about a tablespoon.

Night_Owl

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 09:24:01 PM »

Hi Cassie - I grind the flax in a coffee grinder and sprinkle it on cereal - sometimes I don't bother and just soak the seeds whole then use. 

I take it for nutritional value and mainly to try and alleviate lifelong constipation - not really sure if it does anything as I don't really notice that much difference when I take it! (not a great advert, am I!) ...  But we're all different and it could be worth a try, it could boost you.  I find it has had no effect on my low dose patch HRT as my estrogen levels are always very low. 

https://draxe.com/10-flax-seed-benefits-nutrition-facts/

Cassie

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 10:28:11 AM »

I bought a grinder yesterday so will grind some up with my sesame seed mix. Hurdity I am really stupid when it comes to this sort of thing, does that mean that Flax can accentuate the action of the gel I am using or that it can make it less effective? I really do not want to interfere with something that is working so well....not sure what to do. :-\
Its only a teaspoon a day I would take so perhaps it will be okay?

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2017, 05:34:06 PM »

Maybe read Night_Owl's Link?