Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Valium and my mom  (Read 2101 times)

Cassie

Valium and my mom
« on: July 20, 2017, 07:25:39 PM »

My mom has been on Valium for probably 50yrs if not longer. She was recently hospitalised for a bladder infection which caused her to be confused. Much better but this week has been very confused again and is usually very sharp, active mind good memory. I found out that the Dr in the hospital who was treating her stopped the Valium and put her onto Clonazepam, now my question is surely after 40 yrs its not healthy to just stop it suddenly, she was shaking really badly the past few days I was not informed that she was on a new drug, feeling a tad annoyed as she was really confused this week and Im wondering if its the change of drug, any thoughts on this? She was on 2.5mg of Valium morning and night and this was working perfectly, why change her at her age,for heavens sake,  she is 90! I just don't understand and am worried about the withdrawal effects of the Valium, should I insist that Dr puts her back onto the Valium? I do not know Clonazepam at all, perhaps some of the ladies who are familiar with it can advise. Thankyou

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Valium and my mom
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 07:29:03 PM »

I would explain that as your Mum was on Valium successfully that you would prefer her to be on that as you both understand how it works.  Also he might think that she needs a change or maybe didn't read the Notes  >:( but as you say, at 90 - and that dose isn't large by any means but was 'enough'.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it?

Urine infections can cause confusion as can a change of environment.  She is home again?  I would expect there to be some reaction after a lot of years.

Cassie

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 07:32:08 PM »

She is bck in her care home but I am annoyed as you say....if it aint broke...will see if I can make sense of it tomorrow, lack of communication is what gets to me grrr.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 07:33:34 PM »

I expect there's a whole load of issues that have un-settled your Mum.  Perhaps ask the Staff - does her own Doctor attend if required?

coldethyl

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 07:40:39 PM »

My mum was prescribed Valium for years in the 70/80s- she had to be admitted to hospital for phased withdrawal - I really would be concerned about such an abrupt change and wonder why they would bother at her age at all to make change

Jenna

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 07:43:28 PM »

Hi Cassie - your mom's urine infection might well have returned. Whenever my mom shook, it meant she had yet another UTI.

Mbrown001

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 07:47:06 PM »

My step father was the same. He had a tremor that was helped by diazapalm. During his final illness they decided to stop it. My step brothers were so angry and he was put back on. You just can't stop after all that time....she will be very dependent. What on earth are they thinking. At 90 it's all about quality and nothing else.

I hope you get it sorted. The confusion could well be with drawl symptoms.

Cassie

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 07:37:39 AM »

Thanks ladies I am onto it, will get her back onto what she has been on for so long, its really irresponsible in my opinion to be fiddling around at her age with changing her so abruptly and absolutely no feedback from the Dr as to why!  :(
Will get her checked again for UTI thankyou.

Maryjane

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 07:43:58 AM »

That makes me so sad and cross for your mum .

I no of a couple of ladies who were on HRT in there late 70s early 80s no problems all good , both taken off by the GPs one 6 months later a massive stroke second has been to the daughters none stop ever since with aches and pains everywhere.

Come on the powers that be , common sense as CLKD said " if it ain't bride don't fix it " your poor mum will be feeling dreadful from withdrawal symptoms. 😡

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 12:33:59 PM »

So much for the 'care' system  :'(

Let us know Cassie?  Maryjane [bride]  ::). - of course, the news meds might be cheaper or the Dr thought removing such a small amount wouldn't affect your Mum  :bang: do you have Power of Attorney, I would have thought explanation would be important!