Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Are you getting all the good food that you should?  (Read 14110 times)

Billie Blaster

Re: Are you getting all the good food that you should?
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2017, 10:33:59 PM »

Hello ladies.

I have been following a plant based diet for a while however it was difficult to feel satisfied on fruit and veg alone. I came across the work of Dr. John McDougall who says we should include starch based foods like potatoes and rice in our daily diet. I have been doing this for a few weeks and I am convinced it's helping me feel less hungry and better generally ( though that could be due to hormonal changes of course). There is plenty of information about Dr. McDougall on the internet should any of you be interested in what he has to say.

Wishing you all well.

K.

Like you Kathleen, I'm powered by plants and am so glad to hear what Dr. McDougall says, as I think that there's a (latterly, paleo-induced) hysteria about carbs. I do understand that refined carbs are not our friends, as others have said, but brown rice, wholemeal pasta, potatoes, kumara (our name for sweet potato), etc. I think should be a normal part of a diet (of course, not necessarily for the IBS sufferers). I have, give or take a kilo, or two maintained the same weight for decades and I eat loads of 'em.

I found, like you with adding in more carbs, that I am more satisfied with more fat and protein at breakfast, so have upped those. You know, lashings of peanut butter on wholemeal homemade bread, and thick creamy coconut yoghurt to kick off.  I think the extra calories balance themselves out by not snacking so heavily mid-morning, which then mucks up my lunch, etc.

Billie

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2017, 10:40:55 PM »

I was thinking about peanut butter last night in my bath  ::) - white toast with butter followed by a spread of pea-nut butter ....... I prefer smooth: you?

I saw the programme ages ago when Dr Moseley swallowed a camera that followed his gut function - can't get more scientific than that! Something I would like to do myself ...........

Billie Blaster

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2017, 11:46:49 PM »

It's to my personal shame, CLKD, but I am unable to advise which kind of peanut butter I prefer. What have I been doing all my life? I can advise though, and this will be meaningless to you as I think you're in the UK, that I prefer Marmite to Vegemite, but above all Promite. (Yes, I can hear the gasps of the antipodean Vegemite lovers out there).  ;D

Hurdity

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2017, 09:19:26 AM »

Re the eating unrefined carbs - I don't make a habit of eating many refined carbs and sugar but even on a healthy diet including these I was putting on weight and failing to lose it - which changed when I swapped many of my carbs (in muesli, bread, rice and pasta - latter too were usually refined though) for more protein and even more veg. However there are lots of carbs in pulses, beans and many vegetables aside from the normal potato - and my diet does include plenty of these - so still plant based if not high in cereals/spuds!

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2017, 12:33:46 PM »

BBuster -  :thankyou: .........  our family always grew their own and everything was seasonal.  Lots of fruits/veg. and home made, cooked fresh.

babyjane

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2017, 05:58:53 PM »

ours too CLKD, bottled fruit in Kilner jars  :)

It is a sad sign of the modern world that there is so much introspection about what we should/shouldn't, could/can't, mustn't/must eat.  No wonder eating disorders are on the rise, it is so confusing for people, especially youngsters.

Too must examination of what you are going to eat takes all the enjoyment out of the meal for us and it is too easy to get obsessed with food, and as for cutting out whole food groups like some celebrities do, well that's just silly.

You can be a normal weight but still be malnourished  ::)

Wrensong

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2017, 03:06:42 PM »

Hi Hurdity,
I swapped many of my carbs (in muesli, bread, rice and pasta - latter too were usually refined though) for more protein and even more veg. However there are lots of carbs in pulses, beans and many vegetables aside from the normal potato - and my diet does include plenty of these - so still plant based if not high in cereals/spuds!

You mentioned on other threads having probs with episodes of hypoglycaemia & that excessive tiredness makes it difficult to wake up in the morning.  I know you rightly say here you get carbs from pulses, beans & veg (& presumably fruit), but if you have significantly reduced overall carb intake & substituted more protein (& veg) is it possible you're now not getting enough carbs to meet your body's energy requirements? 
More than 20 years ago I was asked by a nutritionist treating me for IBS to follow an anti-candida diet - an extremely low carb diet that turned out to be a Very Bad Idea!  I think these are largely discredited these days, but at the time they were widely advised for IBS-type problems.  Anyway, after a couple of weeks I felt so weak on it I could barely lift one foot above the other to get up the stairs - it was far too low in carbs to be healthy.  Needless to say I would not recommend it to anyone.  Didn't help my IBS either!  I realise your diet won't be this extreme, but also know how hard it can be to work out what is going on when the body doesn't work as it should.  If your blood sugar was falling too low overnight though, I would expect you to have problems sleeping well, rather than sleeping deeply, so that goes against what I suggested above ;D  Feel free to ignore me!

Wrensong

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2017, 03:20:05 PM »

Sparkle, I think we chatted about gastritis earlier in this thread & I've remembered something else that might help you.  When I was first diagnosed I spent a lot of time researching possible causes & one of the things I found was the suggestion that salicylates in foods are thought to aggravate the condition.  These are also found in Aspirin & I think, Ibuprofen, both of which I avoid for that reason.  Anyway the list of foods containing salicylates is long & it would  be difficult & unhealthy to avoid them all, but the worst I found, for me, were blueberries.  I never eat these now & also have to be careful with strawberries & raspberries.  I also found that scooping out tomato seeds & eating only the flesh meant I could tolerate these - fiddly, but meant I could still have a few of them cooked & in salads during a flare.  If I remember rightly, there's a lot of stuff written about the glutamine in cabbage being helpful for stomach inflammation & it's suggested drinking the cooled boiled cabbage water can help heal the stomach lining  :o.  I didn't go that far, but you can also use a little of the cabbage water for making gravies - I know many people do this anyway.  You can also buy glutamine powder as a supplement, but I didn't find this helpful. :)

CLKD

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2017, 04:00:48 PM »

My late F in L always drank the water that fresh veg. had been boiled in.  Tomatoes are well known for causing gastric upsets, it's the skin that is the problem ;-).

CLKD

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2017, 10:19:28 PM »

As an aside I take Nurofen 4 pain without ill effects.

Maryjane

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2017, 05:47:21 AM »

Almond butter is 👌 also " whole earth" peanut butter / sugar free is lovely also.

Elizabethrose

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2017, 02:02:35 PM »

I bought Meridian Coconut and Almond butter this week.   :yes:

coldethyl

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2017, 05:25:38 PM »

What do you eat these butters with? I can't eat nuts anymore whole but miss the taste and nutrients - but don't eat much bread either as diabetic.

CLKD

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2017, 07:07:41 PM »

I have Jacobs cream crackers under my butter ;-)

I've had 2 pieces of chocolate for pudding  :D

Elizabethrose

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2017, 07:20:05 PM »

What do you eat these butters with? I can't eat nuts anymore whole but miss the taste and nutrients - but don't eat much bread either as diabetic.

What about on little crackers, corn or whatever you can eat coldethyl. Some of the new nut butters are smoother and softer in consistency so spread well. x
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4