Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: So frightened  (Read 2954 times)

Ellie309

So frightened
« on: March 29, 2017, 01:31:24 PM »

Hi everyone I am a newbie and would like any reassurance that what I am going through. I am 46 since having my kids 4 years my period cycles have been anywhere between 16 and 40 days. I started spotting about 14 days ago and then it kept going then it started coming down heavy on day 4 then went away then came down very heavy from last Wednesday. I have been passing lots of clots which petrify me.  The GP examined me can't feel anything, going for bloods next week and waiting for scan she said it would be highly unlikely anything wrong have got some northerisdone to stop bleeding, could be fibroids, perimenopause.  I am so worried about one of the tests which is a CA125 test and last time I had it came back double what it should be, after investigation it was because I have a history of cysts and when they scanned me there was 2 small fibroids.  That was 2 years ago. I am so worried.

nearly50

Re: So frightened
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 01:52:51 PM »

Hi Ellie,

Welcome to the forum. Try not to worry as everything you've posted sounds pretty 'normal' (whatever that is!). I've experienced periods taking ages to get started and then stopping and starting - having that at the moment. Have a wee look here as some of this might sound familiar and Claireyou is also going for a scan soon too.

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,35087.0.html

Your doctor's just covering all bases and I know it is easier said than done, but try not to worry.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 02:31:42 PM by nearly50 »

Claireylou

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 02:03:59 PM »

Hi Ellie. I know exactly how frightened you are because I'm in the same boat at the moment  :)

Ok, where do I start ... About 3 weeks ago I was on day 42 (I think) of my cycle. Started very very light bleeding. This kept going for a week and then it was as if someone had turned on a tap. Heavy bleeding, passing clots etc. now, the bleeding has slowed right down again but it's still dribbling on. Colour varies from bright red to a more normal period colour.

I know I have several small fibroids so maybe it's them playing up. I'm waiting for a scan and having a blood test on Monday.

I go from moments of relative calm to all out panic in the space of five minutes.

Try to stay away from dr google because I think it fuels the anxiety. I just stay put on here and shout for help if panic is getting out of hand.

Very easy to say but try not to worry. The scan and bloods should shed some light on it xxx

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 04:02:21 PM »

Hi Ellie309

:welcomemm:

It sounds like peri-menopause to me if your cycles are that variable, and because of your age. Presumably in the absence of other symptoms like flushes and sweats the doc wants to just check that it is likely to be peri-menopause. Good that everything is being checked out though - just what a good doctor should do with erratic bleeding. Rest assured that these tests are normal - but of course it doesn't stop the worrying - heavens - I've had all sorts of terrible diseases (in my head) over the past 25 years or more - especially since having children - and surely would be dead by now if any of them were real!

If you have gone more than your usual cycle without a period - ie longer than 28 days then the womb lining will build up more than usual - and of course this would be worse with fibroids - and then when you eventually do have a period it is much heavier.  I do remember being horrified at the sights of huge clots being passed - but I never went to the doc about them.

I hope the bleeding stops soon.

Meanwhile here is an article about peri-menopause :)
https://menopausematters.co.uk/magazine/pdf/Article%20-%20Perils%20of%20the%20Perimenopause.pdf

Hurdity x

Ellie309

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 07:18:55 PM »

Thank you, that has reassured me I thought it had stopped this afternoon but it hasn't I guess the noristherine (not sure in spelling) takes a while to kick in. I have got some transnanic acid too which I took yesterday but not sure if I should continue with both.  Just hope it will stop, it is my dads 80th party on Saturday and at the moment I just don't feel like going.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 07:31:23 PM »

Speak with a Pharmacist for advice tomorrow!  Get plenty of pads ready, in case.  Some ladies find that keeping a mood/symptom/food diary useful to chart stuff.  Browse round. Make notes.   :welcomemm:

Will there be  :cake: ? <hands over plate >  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 08:09:28 PM »

Hi Ellie - lots of good advice given already and I agree that all of this, though inconvenient, sounds pretty normal. Just want to say that I too suffered horrible clots but my doc explained that this is a good thing as it shows your clotting mechanism is working well. They still feel horrible when passed though. Hope the treatment works soon and that you enjoy the party.

For the heavy bleeding are you using both tampons and pads? The nighttime ones are really good for daytime on the really heavy days as they go right round, so to speak, from back to front. I also used to wear two - one inside my knickers and one stuck on the outside with another pair of knickers on top plus the super plus tampons. I did feel like I was waddling a bit though!  ;D

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 08:10:30 PM »

WHY do we put up with it all  ::) - I was never able to use tampons so particularly at night, required double pads over and under  >:(  ::)

nearly50

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 08:21:18 PM »

Even tampons and pads aren't enough for me overnight sometimes as I have to get up at least once (and about 5 times with the last horror show). Thanks to some posters on here, I have Tena Ladies' pants for the heaviest nights and also maternity mats for the bed. Just knowing so many other women go through the same thing helps my peace of mind.

Claireylou

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 05:57:25 AM »

I totally agree Nearly50.

Ellie can I also say to keep an eye on your iron/ferratin levels. When we bleed like this our stores are soon depleted which can make you feel pretty rough. As well as plenty of lovely green veggies etc I keep mine topped up with floradix which is a really gentle liquid iron supplement.

I hope you're feeling better xxx

ancient runner

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 08:30:52 AM »

A second one warning about iron - mine dropped like a stone. And, I was eating 2 packs of celery a week. It was only later I learned craving cold wet things like celery and ice are a symptom of iron deficiency (your tongue goes smooth, or something, and you want things to cool it down). Sounds mad, I know - but have gone back to being not fussed about celery now.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 04:27:55 PM »

That's interesting?  Pre-menstrually I would crave celery but wet from the jar we stored it in, I would eat loads  ::)

Ellie - are things a little less scary now?

Ellie309

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 01:41:32 PM »

Thank you I have had a busy weekend celebrating my dads 80th, so took my mind off it all. Still taking noresthisterone no bleeding, the GP is referring me privately so I see a consultant next Wednesday.

Had blood tests today so hoping and praying they don't ring me tomorrow to tell me like they did 3 years to tell me the CA125 test is double what it should and they referred me to an oncologist.  It was all today with 2 small fibroids.

So feeling anxious hating all of this my weight has gone up by a stone too just hoping and praying all will be OK.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 03:42:59 PM »

Did you have your thyroid function tested recently?

Did you enjoy your Dad's celebrations and is there any  :cupcake: left?  ;)